Protective Films (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On-road and off, looking for recommendations for protective films for both paint and glass. Interested in preventing smash and grabs and impacts on windows, rock chips and flying debris and UV on windshield, door dings, pinstripes off road, additional sound deadening and general protection. Looking to wrap nearly the entire thing.

E44BF6C6-1779-4255-AE23-C0376D5856E0.jpeg

479D2B41-A37A-47C5-A09B-8DD289D44E6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Xpel

Idk about glass protection, smash and grabs aren’t a thing where we are but for off road I’ll second the xpel suggestion. It’s not fool proof, our wrap has a few areas where it did its job but suffered a small tear hear and there. On smaller panels this probably isn’t an issue but I have one on my “D” pillar that I need to have looked at… that piece is giant. Xpel has precut panels for cruisers so that’s a plus.

I can't contribute to glass protection or smash and grabs, but I also have Xpel on most of the panels on mine (don't have it on roof or rear bumper/hatch/tailgate). I basically wanted protection for pinstriping on the trails as I plan to keep this for a long time and didn't want it looking beat up within the first year or two. I ended up doing the Ultimate Plus 10 film and it's definitely been worth it for me. You can see some of the remnants of pinstriping on the black plastics and the rest of the vehicle would be in bad shape if not for the film. It self heals in the sun/heat so smaller stuff goes away, but of course big scratches or dings that physically damage or cut the film will stay. I've got a few spots on the hood that are already nicked from rocks. I'd do it again in a heartbeat and will probably end up doing the rest of the vehicle once I do a rear bumper and know how much I'm cutting off. It also makes washing a breeze

Idk about glass protection, smash and grabs aren’t a thing where we are but for off road I’ll second the xpel suggestion. It’s not fool proof, our wrap has a few areas where it did its job but suffered a small tear hear and there. On smaller panels this probably isn’t an issue but I have one on my “D” pillar that I need to have looked at… that piece is giant. Xpel has precut panels for cruisers so that’s a plus.
I didn’t see a 10mil version in xpel, I’m not sure if precut is a plus or not for me. I like the idea that 3M self heals…

I've had a few of my cars done. Llumar and Suntek for PPF and 3M Ceramic for windows.

I haven't noticed much difference between the PPFs. Both were high end and both look awesome years after application. My 100 hasn't seen too much brush and tight trails to test out pin-striping protection, but the PPF is in great shape. I got a few tears along the front edge of the hood, but the paint appears to have been protected.

for PPF, I think as long as you use a shop with a good technician and you're using the higher tier products, you should be good. They're all self-healing, UV blocking, etc...

For tint, ceramic is my choice. Huge heat blocking benefit and available in really light shades for the windshield.

I can't contribute to glass protection or smash and grabs, but I also have Xpel on most of the panels on mine (don't have it on roof or rear bumper/hatch/tailgate). I basically wanted protection for pinstriping on the trails as I plan to keep this for a long time and didn't want it looking beat up within the first year or two. I ended up doing the Ultimate Plus 10 film and it's definitely been worth it for me. You can see some of the remnants of pinstriping on the black plastics and the rest of the vehicle would be in bad shape if not for the film. It self heals in the sun/heat so smaller stuff goes away, but of course big scratches or dings that physically damage or cut the film will stay. I've got a few spots on the hood that are already nicked from rocks. I'd do it again in a heartbeat and will probably end up doing the rest of the vehicle once I do a rear bumper and know how much I'm cutting off. It also makes washing a breeze
My favorite part of PPF is how nice the car looks after an automatic car wash. I used to fret car washes and always did the self-wash or a laborious hand wash at home. With PPF, you can go to basically any car wash and just let it do it's thing with no damage to the paint. It comes out nearly spotless and I've never had a wash leave a scratch. Huge convenience benefit.

I am unaware of anything you can put on the outside of the windows. Even security film used in stores is applied on the inside. It wouldn't take too many uses of your wipers to scratch most films. Plus if someone wanted in your car, it's not very difficult peel off.

I am unaware of anything you can put on the outside of the windows. Even security film used in stores is applied on the inside. It wouldn't take too many uses of your wipers to scratch most films. Plus if someone wanted in your car, it's not very difficult peel off.
There are products being sold for external use, I have seen them for the new Bronco. I would not trust it to hold up well. Maybe silicon wipers would help. I would worry on side windows suc a film could prevent a window evacuation if needed.

My tint guy said the best external windshield film had been pulled from market to improve the product.. most of the time it was great but randomly in some cases it would fog. But it is designed specifically not to get wiper streaks or anything like that (as long as you aren’t in a very sandy environment), and prevent the tiny pock marks from small rocks and provide some impact protection for bigger ones.

He said there’s a huge wait list for when the new product comes out.. this shop does the tint and film for our local Ferrari dealership if it’s any indicator of quality of work.

My tint guy said the best external windshield film had been pulled from market to improve the product.. most of the time it was great but randomly in some cases it would fog. But it is designed specifically not to get wiper streaks or anything like that (as long as you aren’t in a very sandy environment), and prevent the tiny pock marks from small rocks and provide some impact protection for bigger ones.

He said there’s a huge wait list for when the new product comes out.. this shop does the tint and film for our local Ferrari dealership if it’s any indicator of quality of work.
I found a YouTube video of likely this same product from the Blackout tinting guys. Said it was their favorite product but was pulled from the market.

How well would Xpel really hold up with heavy wooded trail use? I collect lots of pin stripes and most of them rub out and I touch up paint the deep scratches. I’ve just accepted where my use will eventually lead to but something that reduces the rub out time would be good. Just not sure it’s really worth the expense of Xpel. I wouldn’t want to have to redo the Xpel on a panel every time I scratch it have have to touch up.

I think I’d rather go Rhinohide armor if I were to do anything at all. Maybe a combo of the two.

My truck is 100% Expel wrapped. I have had one large rock put a very, very small tear in it on the hood (slightly larger than a large pin head). I don't think it would hold up to serious trees. They do make a heavier version however.

How well would Xpel really hold up with heavy wooded trail use? I collect lots of pin stripes and most of them rub out and I touch up paint the deep scratches. I’ve just accepted where my use will eventually lead to but something that reduces the rub out time would be good. Just not sure it’s really worth the expense of Xpel. I wouldn’t want to have to redo the Xpel on a panel every time I scratch it have have to touch up.

I think I’d rather go Rhinohide armor if I were to do anything at all. Maybe a combo of the two.

Two very different applications IMO. Xpel is meant to keep your rig looking OEM, you don't even know its there. It's great for daily use, easy to keep your car looking clean, protect against rock chips, parking lot carts, and light trail brush pinstripping. If I bought a brand new 200 series at $90K I would absolutely put Xpel on it. It's anywhere from $5-8K.

Something like Rhinohide or GOAT armor is the exact opposite of Xpel. It just screams "hello I'm an off-roader" and quite gaudy looking for a daily driver. The draw of a 200 series LC is that it's that Stealth Wealth and Stealth Off-roader, else you just look like every built up Tacoma or Brorunner on the road. They're technically removable but honestly doing that for every trip doesn't seem realistic.

Two very different applications IMO. Xpel is meant to keep your rig looking OEM, you don't even know its there. It's great for daily use, easy to keep your car looking clean, protect against rock chips, parking lot carts, and light trail brush pinstripping. If I bought a brand new 200 series at $90K I would absolutely put Xpel on it. It's anywhere from $5-8K.

Something like Rhinohide or GOAT armor is the exact opposite of Xpel. It just screams "hello I'm an off-roader" and quite gaudy looking for a daily driver. The draw of a 200 series LC is that it's that Stealth Wealth and Stealth Off-roader, else you just look like every built up Tacoma or Brorunner on the road. They're technically removable but honestly doing that for every trip doesn't seem realistic.
I get difference. Was just wondering if there is something short of Rhinohide or spraying bed liner. My 200 is not a DD and I'm a bit past "Stealth Off-Roader" lol. I did see a rig at LCDC with the Rhinohide armor. On a black 200 I don't mind the look. I agree, I'd end up just leaving it on, only taking it off when I washed the truck but mine sits in between trips. Removing the panels isn't hard but the adhesive attachment points stay on the truck and look kinda odd w/o the panels.

XPEL. Hands down. When you shop, you’re buying the installer. The film should be uniform across xpel installers so long as they pull and apply the correct product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom