Rust Prevention or reductions: Fluid Film Product any good? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Salt-Away sprayed everywhere followed by Fluid Film will keep the rust critters away. FF is available in one/five gal sizes, sprayed w a gun goes a lot further/easier to manage than the rattle can.

I find the 'hard setting" stuff can sometimes be problematic on some of the underside mechanicals.
Yeah the ‘hard’ coating solutions also trap water and cause more, often catastrophic, rust even while looking good on the outside. When the coating gets a crack water gets in and stays in. The lanolin based solutions may not be permanent but they are self healing and work extremely well with only needing a yearly application. My experience is they work extremely well, even when my LC is sitting 50 feet from the Pacific Ocean for 25 years.

Yeah the ‘hard’ coating solutions also trap water and cause more, often catastrophic, rust even while looking good on the outside. When the coating gets a crack water gets in and stays in. The lanolin based solutions may not be permanent but they are self healing and work extremely well with only needing a yearly application. My experience is they work extremely well, even when my LC is sitting 50 feet from the Pacific Ocean for 25 years.
This is exactly what happened to my poor beloved Chevy K5 Blazer with the hard rust proofing coating.

Lps3 if it's good for airplane wheel / suspension systems in the rust belt its good for my 200 too.
Waxy, self-healing protection layer - perfect

FWIW another vote for fluid film... it's easy to apply and when you need to wash it off it's not a big deal with a pressure wash.

I live in Michigan, my LC is my primary vehicle and I do frequent trips between my home and Indianapolis. Tons of snow and salt.

My truck was a southern truck with no rust and remains 90% rust free 3 years in. The only spots of rust I have are areas I neglected to spray from the get-go.

I live about 20 mins from the main headquarters for NHOU, so I just have them do it. Much better than FF, IMO. I'm done crawling under vehicles to spray and getting that crap all over me and my clothes. I always drop the spare and remove all the skids before taking it over, so they have easy access.

My other preferred product is Amsoil HD Metal Protector. It's like chain oil, sprays on liquid then cures to a waxy coating that doesn't wash off. I spray that on things that are easy to reach. My trailer hitch receiver still looks brand new thanks to this stuff.

Last edited:
Living in an area they send good Yotas to slowly rot away and die, I am a fluid film believer. I have used woolwax as well but FF is just been my choice. I try to do it 2x a year, late spring and late fall to hit peak salty road and beach seasons. Get an air gun and buy it in bulk. I do use rattlecans for touch up. As others have said, it will wash off over time on high exposure parts and areas. Not a fan of hard coatings or undercoating meant for the life of the vehicle. More harm than good imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom