Pros/cons 1997 40th anniversary w/ no factory lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice from the experts. Long time 62 owner here but I recently stumbled across a very clean stock 97 with no lockers. 162K miles. Unmolested. Clean underneath with a couple of small rust spots on the upper rear hatch. Paint starting to fade on the hood. Silver. No 3rd row but pretty clean inside and out otherwise.

I don't wheel much but may want to in the future. Would you buy one? Cost of aftermarket lockers later as an option?

What's the market value right now on one of these? Thanks.

Any insight is appreciated.

Need some advice from the experts. Long time 62 owner here but I recently stumbled across a very clean stock 97 with no lockers. 162K miles. Unmolested. Clean underneath with a couple of small rust spots on the upper rear hatch. Paint starting to fade on the hood. Silver. No 3rd row but pretty clean inside and out otherwise.

I don't wheel much but may want to in the future. Would you buy one? Cost of aftermarket lockers later as an option?

Sure. They are still very capable without lockers.

You can wheel just fine without triple lockers, the biggest reason to want triple lockers, other than super hardcore wheeling, is for resale which this is a case in point for as even people who take it to the mall and back have convinced themselves they have to have lockers after reading half a slee guide.

Clean trucks are getting hard to find and command some crazy premiums. If that rear hatch is your worst concern, and it is a concern as it will cost you some money and/or time, and the price is solid then go for it.

Lockers can always be added later down the road if you decide you need them for your use. If the price is right, it's still a clean Land Cruiser with a straight axle

Need to post up multiple photos to get any estimates on value.

Where's the rust, only the rear hatch? Undercarriage, rocker panels, quarter panels??

Peeling/fading clear coat is common but not cheap to fix correctly.

How's the interior condition??

It could be worth anywhere between $1000 and $20,000, but likely on the lower half of that range.

Overall condition is more important than miles to a point.

Would you buy one?

Me, no.

I only like white, black or the dark green examples.

It has to be factory locked. I don't care if it can be added later. It's a value/resale thing.

There r plenty out there if you got the moola so if that's your situation, take your time looking so you can have it all. Gl!

Where's the rust, only the rear hatch? Undercarriage, rocker panels, quarter panels??

It could be worth anywhere between $1000 and $20,000, but likely on the lower half of that range.

C7EAB6DB-8D4A-4109-8D0D-98FC48DA616F.jpeg

Can barely see the spot in this photo. But yes, in person, there are a couple small spots on rear hatch however not bear a gasket. Seats are worn but not torn yet. No 3rd row seat. Everything else inside looks good. Undercarriage looks great! Thanks for the feedback!

AB5353E9-DABE-4B77-AE11-A8AF431FADA9.jpeg

48BF01E8-CD8D-4B60-8C5D-5ED179158B43.jpeg

EAE0A1EF-2FAA-4837-975D-001514DE4719.jpeg

EF9C90F2-07D0-4391-81A2-D4A25BE4179D.jpeg

Me, no.

I only like white, black or the dark green examples.

It has to be factory locked. I don't care if it can be added later. It's a value/resale thing.

There r plenty out there if you got the moola so if that's your situation, take your time looking so you can have it all. Gl!
Thanks for the feedback COYS. My concern as well with resale. Not actively looking but didn’t want to pass one up locally here since I don’t see many around my neck o’ the woods. Always wanted an nice 80 and dig this color. Thanks man!

Thanks for the feedback COYS. My concern as well with resale. Not actively looking but didn’t want to pass one up locally here since I don’t see many around my neck o’ the woods. Always wanted an nice 80 and dig this color. Thanks man!
Such a subjective topic. If you are looking to collect as some sort of asset....I think maybe you should find a different financial advisor. I think an unlocked cruiser with low miles and stock is worth looking at. But this is coming from a guy who has ARB air lockers on his 80. I think @COYS has a point about resale value, but that is only one aspect of ownership. You need to decide what it is you want out of your rig. If you let no lockers stop you from looking you may be on a long unicorn hunt my friend.

That seems like a nice rig. Pictures can be deceiving. It’s one of the more desirable colors and models, low mileage for a 80 and looks to be in great shape. Lockers are definitely desirable but should not be a deal breaker. You can add some harrops for 3k and be in the cool kids club. The market sure has gotten soft but the lower mileage clean cruisers are still hard to find. I think being patient is cool if you got time but finding a rig and in that condition does not come easy. IMHO it’s a 14-16k rig. If you can get if for cheeper than even better. If the paint is all faded and it’s leaking oil like usual maybe you can get them down on price. I found the listing but won’t reference it hear as the vultures will smell the blood and steel it out from under you. If you don’t decide to buy share the listing here so members have a chance at it. Good luck

Looks good so far, post up a couple photos of the engine bay and undercarriage.
What is the asking price?

The fact that it's a 40th bumps it up as well for some buyers. I'm one of those because I like the automatic climate control feature that the 40th/CE models have.

It looks solid but the pictures in this thread aren't conclusive. I'd be looking closely all over for rust, starting around the rear axle and spare tire where it's often worst. I'd also be looking closely to see if the paint is serviceable or if it will need work. Paint work is big $$ so you should consider if you can live with the paint as it is or make sure the price + paint budget makes sense for you.

@MadMeak are you wanting a rig to drive, take out on weekends, and enjoy? Or, do you want a potential show-car?

I ask because this would be a great candidate for the former. And a good one for the latter. The lack of lockers will lower the price in the future, if you're interested in an "investment." That said, adding aftermarket lockers would fit the bill for what you want, at least according to your original post.

That is a very clean rig, and at a decent price.

It may not fetch the best price on BaT in the future. But I think it should be a serious consideration.

Such a subjective topic. If you are looking to collect as some sort of asset....I think maybe you should find a different financial advisor. I think an unlocked cruiser with low miles and stock is worth looking at. But this is coming from a guy who has ARB air lockers on his 80. I think @COYS has a point about resale value, but that is only one aspect of ownership. You need to decide what it is you want out of your rig. If you let no lockers stop you from looking you may be on a long unicorn hunt my friend.
I don’t need lockers. Mostly curious about how lockers could affect the value of any. Not looking for an investment or asset either. Not looking to turn a buck, I genuinely would like a nice 80 and know prices have been recently trending down. Just looking for honest opinions and appraisals. Appreciate the feedback.

no factory rack is really nice. I’m not sure how much it costs to have a rack delete with proper welding and painting by a shop, but I’m sure it’s expensive

Another worthy option instead of lockers - Eaton Detroit Truetrac helical gear (torsen type) limited slip differential ring gear carrier - could be considered superior to lockers - always ready to self activate with situation dependant left/right torque split when needed, with no operational downside in normal operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom