Builds Project X² (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waggoner5

SILVER Star
Threads
I said I wasn't going to do these builds anymore.... but temptation got the best of me today. All this stuff started popping up and I started thinking about a project that has ran through my mind since the first Project X. So this is what I have:

Super clean, no rust, great running, 1990 White FJ62 courtesy of a fellow MUD member.
1994 80 series with a 4.7 Toyota V8 conversion, that was started by a friend, but never finished. 4.7V8, 100 series tranny, 80 series tcase, complete uncut wiring harness, all accessories, etc.

So some people who know me already know what I'm thinking......
The FJ62 is with out a doubt my favorite Landcruiser. I have owned many, overbuilt most of them and always had my a$$ handed to me on the trail, and in highway comfort by the relatively stock 80 series. Not any more. Project X² will put the 62 body on the 80 series frame, with the 100 series engine. It should be on 35s max, have road/trail manners like an 80, run like a 100, but have the retro 60 series look that I like.

The 62 that I am starting with below is in route, but stay tuned for the build.
FJ62.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go!

What do you plan to do about the width of the 80 axles? I suspect leave them be?

A W E S O M E !!!

--------------------------
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the IH8MUD App

:popcorn:

Seems like it needs something from a 40 series just to balance it out....

gary, if you're really that bored, you know where i live, you could come finish one of my projects ;)

>What do you plan to do about the width of the 80 axles? I suspect leave them be?

what about fabbing up 80 series looking 2 to 3 inch (plastic / fiberglass) looking wheel well openings

Subscribed!
Any body mods planned? Suppose you will stretch the wheel base of the 62 body a little...
Sticking with the square eyes? Represent!

Subscribed.

I'm interested in how you are going to shorten the frame to get the axles to match the wheel well's.

the 80s are closer to the 60s than you think........

gary, very cool. can't wait to see you get started. :beer:

It was the ride in Bob at SEMA that pushed you over the edge huh..
;)

I can't wait to see the build!

The 60s are the coolest and Bob did it for me.

I'll most likely do my usual flares and offset wheels to keep tires under the fenders and as far as the frame goes, it looks like cutting in 2 places will be the ticket. I will be pulling the body off the 80 next week and start taking measurements.

Two thumbs way up:popcorn:

I have the perfect donor car, right hand drive diesel 81 series, only problem George is prolly getting the engine transmission....

Rob

Last edited:
Gary, very nice. Will your next project after this one be called XXX?

Perfect timing now that Chicago's build is almost done. :popcorn:
good point! our other hopefulls seemed to have fallen through. But Gary is only gonna take a couple of months! LOL

Subscribed.

I'm interested in how you are going to shorten the frame to get the axles to match the wheel well's.

the 80s are closer to the 60s than you think........

gary, very cool. can't wait to see you get started. :beer:

Yea but not close enough, I have seen a 60 on an uncut 80 chassis and it really just didnt look right at all. It was the one Lowtideride did 4-5 years ago with the gray 60 body on the 3FE 80 chassis.

Comin down for round up this year Gary?

I'll be watching this!!!
All the work you have done in the past has inspired me in a lot of ways, and I suspect this will be no different!!

K

Actually, espressomon was wanting to do the same thing minus the 60 series tub.

I'll have to refer him to this!

Excellent!! I had fun reading, and learning, through the project X build, so I'm looking forward to this as well:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom