Project WTF have I gotten myself into??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, a few things I noted. First, there are vapor tubes build in to the passenger seat that are tee'd to the gas tank and run all the way to the rear passenger quarter panel (this vapor thingy) and the driver side front fender which is a vacuum solenoid of some sort...a lot of tubing that will be removed! Anecdotally, the passenger rear wheel well is rustier than the driver side, not sure if fuel vapor promotes rust or if the top leaked there more etc...

Yeah, a few things I noted. First, there are vapor tubes build in to the passenger seat that are tee'd to the gas tank and run all the way to the rear passenger quarter panel (this vapor thingy) and the driver side front fender which is a vacuum solenoid of some sort...a lot of tubing that will be removed! Anecdotally, the passenger rear wheel well is rustier than the driver side, not sure if fuel vapor promotes rust or if the top leaked there more etc...

Was there a skid plate attached to the tank? The skid plate bolted to the top of the wheel well in front of the tank. Follow the angle of the tank down, then ran underneath the tank. Believe two bolts held it to the bottom of the tank.

Yup...it is kind of a jigsaw puzzle. The vapor canister covers the bolts to the seat and the rollcage covered the bolt to that. All out now...

Small sandblaster helps when doing metal patches,. If you blast the whole thing first you will get discouraged.. keep going.. just takes time

As most of my projects go, at home, at work, with cars/trucks, there is a certain amount of planning and then some amount of emergent architecture.

If you are a fj40 purest, avert your eyes!

Current plan: 6.0L, SM465, NP205, 1 Tons (or fj60 if I can find some) and keep a lot of the patina. I'll fix all the rust that is structural, but not stress too much about cosmetics.

I don't have a sandblaster so am going to rely heavily on sanding disks and curse words😉

If you go fj60 axles the np200 had a offset rear that will bolt into a np205. Not an easy find but another option..

Looking good so far. Just do little projects at a time. Don't get overwhelmed and stay after it. Your doing good.

Thanks for the support, it’s awesome.

my wife sent me to the store to get some milk this morning...
10 hours later and I forgot the dang milk!

61BBF19C-581D-4AF4-9983-E5242A5DC832.jpeg

Time well spent. Now go out and buy two gallons of milk, lol.

Ok, got the milk for my wife and had a few minutes left so I pulled the engine, which is now for sale

IMG_20200626_175742.jpg

IMG_20200626_175720.jpg

Ok folks...not too much to update, I did a few things like pulled out the steering column and cleaned up some things, but I could use some advice on how to approach the body work as I don't really know how to do it.

Here is my plan:
Wire brush the interior and replace anything with holes in it (floor board, etc...). Next I will replace the quarter panel and rear sill, then I'll paint the interior with chasis saver or rust bullet (should I use that rust converter stuff since I'll top coat it?). Once that's done, I'll pull the tub off set up the suspension then paint it

Ok, so a few questions.
1) since the stock inside rocker laps over the floor, I assume it ok do do that again? I thought panels were supposed to butt together to avoid capturing moisture
2) should I start in the back and work forward or at the firewall and work my way towards the rear...does it matter?
3) I was thinking of replacing the rear sill with a 2.5" piece of square tube.
4) I'm also thinking of replacing the rockers with square tube for sliders...

Seem reasonable?

Ok folks...not too much to update, I did a few things like pulled out the steering column and cleaned up some things, but I could use some advice on how to approach the body work as I don't really know how to do it.

Here is my plan:
Wire brush the interior and replace anything with holes in it (floor board, etc...). Next I will replace the quarter panel and rear sill, then I'll paint the interior with chasis saver or rust bullet (should I use that rust converter stuff since I'll top coat it?). Once that's done, I'll pull the tub off set up the suspension then paint it

Ok, so a few questions.
1) since the stock inside rocker laps over the floor, I assume it ok do do that again? I thought panels were supposed to butt together to avoid capturing moisture
2) should I start in the back and work forward or at the firewall and work my way towards the rear...does it matter?
3) I was thinking of replacing the rear sill with a 2.5" piece of square tube.
4) I'm also thinking of replacing the rockers with square tube for sliders...

Seem reasonable?
How about updating us on the new rear Axle with a e-locker ;) :clap:

There are so many awesome build threads here...example: Builds - 78 body off restore (cruiser #2)

More disassembly, more rust. The advice of one thing at a time was solid, otherwise it is a lot. My plan is to tackle the rear sill this weekend, I think I need to put my purse down ( not that there is anything wrong with that) and just start cutting..

0C35C6FC-9142-425B-93A0-EC6398D551D4.jpeg

8E3A18E2-E29A-414A-9E3F-B92105E9CEAC.jpeg

I love how it looks, love that original paint, I would shed a tear as I pulled out the angle grinder.

Got these three things for $80!

Victor Jr. Torch set with tanks to cut off spring perches etc...

36" metal brake to make new floor pans

Chair to sit on, put my head in my hands and say WTF have I gotten myself into???

IMG_20200717_160622.jpg

IMG_20200717_160629.jpg

IMG_20200717_160632.jpg

I got a 2.5x2.5 piece of .120 wall tube to use as the new sill. I noticed a lot of folks are using 2x4, but I don't see why this won't work...I guess I'll find out soon enough

I also experimented with some rust converter from the rust store I saw another guy on here use it, but im not super impressed...maybe I didn't prep well, I'll try again.

IMG_20200717_181754.jpg

IMG_20200717_181803.jpg

There are so many awesome build threads here...example: Builds - 78 body off restore (cruiser #2)

More disassembly, more rust. The advice of one thing at a time was solid, otherwise it is a lot. My plan is to tackle the rear sill this weekend, I think I need to put my purse down ( not that there is anything wrong with that) and just start cutting..

View attachment 2374458

View attachment 2374459

That body looks like it's in the same shape mine is in. My plan is to get motor, trans, t-case and axles situated before body working it. Basically make a roller.

That body looks like it's in the same shape mine is in. My plan is to get motor, trans, t-case and axles situated before body working it. Basically make a roller.

I was thinking get the body decent (not going for perfect) pull the tub, get the frame and suspension sorted out, then put the tub back on and stab in the engine, tranny, etc...my thinking was do the major body work like replacing panels now while it is still bolted to the frame so it stays straight and I am cutting up a messy tub on a clean frame and suspension...open to suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom