Project WTF have I gotten myself into???

Yeah, a few things I noted. First, there are vapor tubes build in to the passenger seat that are tee'd to the gas tank and run all the way to the rear passenger quarter panel (this vapor thingy) and the driver side front fender which is a vacuum solenoid of some sort...a lot of tubing that will be removed! Anecdotally, the passenger rear wheel well is rustier than the driver side, not sure if fuel vapor promotes rust or if the top leaked there more etc...

Living in the Past

SILVER Star

Yeah, a few things I noted. First, there are vapor tubes build in to the passenger seat that are tee'd to the gas tank and run all the way to the rear passenger quarter panel (this vapor thingy) and the driver side front fender which is a vacuum solenoid of some sort...a lot of tubing that will be removed! Anecdotally, the passenger rear wheel well is rustier than the driver side, not sure if fuel vapor promotes rust or if the top leaked there more etc...
Was there a skid plate attached to the tank? The skid plate bolted to the top of the wheel well in front of the tank. Follow the angle of the tank down, then ran underneath the tank. Believe two bolts held it to the bottom of the tank.

Yup...it is kind of a jigsaw puzzle. The vapor canister covers the bolts to the seat and the rollcage covered the bolt to that. All out now...

RAYJON

Get a bigger hammer..

Small sandblaster helps when doing metal patches,. If you blast the whole thing first you will get discouraged.. keep going.. just takes time

As most of my projects go, at home, at work, with cars/trucks, there is a certain amount of planning and then some amount of emergent architecture.

If you are a fj40 purest, avert your eyes!

Current plan: 6.0L, SM465, NP205, 1 Tons (or fj60 if I can find some) and keep a lot of the patina. I'll fix all the rust that is structural, but not stress too much about cosmetics.

I don't have a sandblaster so am going to rely heavily on sanding disks and curse words😉

RAYJON

Get a bigger hammer..

If you go fj60 axles the np200 had a offset rear that will bolt into a np205. Not an easy find but another option..

bluehawk

Appalachia Cruisers

Looking good so far. Just do little projects at a time. Don't get overwhelmed and stay after it. Your doing good.

Top Bottom