Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spent today in Colorado Springs, running various errands to the sum of about 100 miles in Pikachu. Wrapped up the drive at my favorite Woodland Park bier joint for an 3PM IPA.

She did great after several weeks of slumber.
E6DC4DA8-0876-4BEB-8D9B-C17B9D70CE3A.jpeg

As the temperatures slowly start to creep up this time of year in Colorado, I decided to go for a drive yesterday. I finally had a slow week from a work standpoint and needed to seize the day. I left with no destination in mind, although I craved some good brewery food and an IPA somewhere by lunch. I started heading south through Teller County towards Hwy 50. This is the part of central Colorado where things begin to change from pines and spruce to scrub juniper and a drier, warmer climate.

Ribbons of solitary highway. I absolutely love it.
IMG_6380.jpeg

There are a few nice little BLM side roads here as well.
IMG_6382.jpeg

I eventually found myself in Canon City, which is probably best known for the Royal Gorge. We come down here a few times a year, as views from the Gorge and its railroad are unreal.
IMG_6384.jpeg

I discovered a new brewery on Main Street, called World's End Brewing and settled in for their Revelation 7:16 IPA. Ended up having two of those and some wings before hitting the road. Great little spot.
IMG_6385.jpeg
IMG_6386.jpeg

As I sat at the bar, I needed to make a plan for getting back home. I could go west to Salida and up through Buena Vista, which are some of my other favorites. However, I decided to try Shelf Road back north, straight out of Canon City. This is an old Stagecoach route where goods were delivered between the gambling town of Cripple Creek and Canon City.

I had heard that the road is known for great views and very steep dropoffs (there are fatalities here pretty often).

It did not disappoint.
IMG_6388.jpeg
IMG_6395.jpeg
IMG_6396.jpeg

We went through Canon City 2 weeks ago when we went to Florence to visit my grandma. It was 50 degrees F warmer there than when we left MN. lol. We did 75 miles on the SxS in the BLM land. Very pretty scenery you have there. Hope you have a great trip yesterday. Love seeing the pics.

Shelf Road eventually ends on the southern edge of Cripple Creek. But just down the road is the tiny mining down of Victor, where I went to try out their lone bar, the Mining Claim 1899 Saloon. I had a Goose IPA and bullshitted with the bartender. Forensic Files was on TV and was covering some very gruesome murders. There was an old timer on oxygen sitting next to me who made a difficult-to-hear comment here and there. He moved a few seats away from me eventually, I guess because of social distancing. I love these sorts of characters. Great afternoon.
IMG_6407.jpeg
IMG_6408.jpeg

So after the Saloon, I hopped in the rig and just had a "click" when I turned the key. Fortunately, I was parked on a steep hill and popped the clutch to fire her up.

After some testing last night, it turns out that my ole Optima Yellow top is dead. It has a 10/2016 production date. Not to impressed with getting less than 5 years out of it. Gonna go a different direction on the next battery. Any recommendations?

Speaking of a different direction, @reddog90 and @wngrog are correct in noting that the Swampers are off of Pikachu. I am running them out on the HJ47 and then I will probably get away from bias-ply moving forward. I love those tires, but they are terrible for cold weather climates.

They do look damn good on my pickup though:

IMG_6316.jpeg

Costco sells a group 27 Interstate (Johnson Controls) battery for $92.99. 36 month full replacement value too. I used to pay a lot for batteries but about 5 years ago started going this route and haven't looked back. The Costco marine/RV battery in my 80 (house battery) is 5 years old and is still holding strong. I paid $85 for it back then.

So after the Saloon, I hopped in the rig and just had a "click" when I turned the key. Fortunately, I was parked on a steep hill and popped the clutch to fire her up.

After some testing last night, it turns out that my ole Optima Yellow top is dead. It has a 10/2016 production date. Not to impressed with getting less than 5 years out of it. Gonna go a different direction on the next battery. Any recommendations?

Speaking of a different direction, @reddog90 and @wngrog are correct in noting that the Swampers are off of Pikachu. I am running them out on the HJ47 and then I will probably get away from bias-ply moving forward. I love those tires, but they are terrible for cold weather climates.

They do look damn good on my pickup though:

View attachment 2602093

Your thread has really been enjoyable to follow with the 40 updates and trips you have taken!

Sadly enough, I have had the same issue with the Optima Yellows that you noted. Been through 6 or 7 of them though the years in multiple vehicles with some being warrantied out the others dying in the 4 to 5 year range. Let us know your thoughts on the Odyssey after you have had it in a while as this has been one that I have been considering myself.

Your thread has really been enjoyable to follow with the 40 updates and trips you have taken!

Sadly enough, I have had the same issue with the Optima Yellows that you noted. Been through 6 or 7 of them though the years in multiple vehicles with some being warrantied out the others dying in the 4 to 5 year range. Let us know your thoughts on the Odyssey after you have had it in a while as this has been one that I have been considering myself.
I appreciate it. Adventures (even day trips) in a 40 Series are something I never tire of.

Thanks to everyone for the battery recs.

I’m intrigued by what @iptman says about the Interstate/Johnson Controls Group 27 battery. I am going to head to Costco this week and see if I can get my hands on one. Will keep you posted.

I appreciate it. Adventures (even day trips) in a 40 Series are something I never tire of.

Thanks to everyone for the battery recs.

I’m intrigued by what @iptman says about the Interstate/Johnson Controls Group 27 battery. I am going to head to Costco this week and see if I can get my hands on one. Will keep you posted.

My red top in the pig went from 11.4 volts when the sniper screen lit up to zero yesterday. Dead like a circuit breaker. Really weird. I did some musical battery swapping with the 80 and I too am going to Costco Monday for the 💩80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom