Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to install new horns and found this Nippondenso set on eBay. My horn (which had become intermittent) is clear and loud now. What a simple and inexpensive changeout.

I swore that this was not a restoration project, but the rig runs so well that I’m just collecting missing parts and pieces now for fun.

Finally found an original mounting bracket for the air intake hose on eBay. Already had the clamp, which I sanded and painted. I always love OEM stuff. Just brings it back to life.

A quick lunch at Happy Belly Deli in Norwood and we were nearing the turnoff to Highway 90 at Naturita.
View attachment 1701609
Highway 90 is the beginning of the desert. Although the snow-capped peaks of the La Sals are visible for most of the drive, the rocks begin to turn red and Southeast Utah starts to become evident.

Before long, we were in Utah.
View attachment 1701614

Looks like a fun trip! Curious, what is your cruising speed?

Tightened everything up, cleaned the carburetor, topped off gear oil, vacuumed out some red dirt, gassed up, put the soft top back on and headed for a drive to the lake. My son was glad to have "his" Land Cruiser back.
View attachment 1704240
Is that an OEM soft top? Looking to purchase a soft top, so looking at options.

Looks like a fun trip! Curious, what is your cruising speed?

Thanks! It was a great trip. I’m mapping out the next adventure now.

There’s a lot of debate about 2F cruising speeds. However, 50-55 MPH is the sweet spot in my opinion.

Yes sir, OEM style. I went with a Trollhole. Been happy with it.

On Page 1 of this thread, I mentioned my original inspiration for this build, which was my former 1973 FJ40 trail rig, which had an Aussie Locker in the rear. The Aussie served me well when I wheeled that 40 around Colorado and Utah. So a year ago, @Swannie, @Drewk, @xumFJ40, and I did a little group buy on Aussie lockers and picked a weekend to catch up and get these lockers in.

The installs went great...but I was sick as a dog and didn’t get mine done. I still showed up though, and it was a solid day, despite being very cold for the time of year.
021B8D10-27E2-428C-AF41-6EE5704B53CB.jpeg
7CF21E0C-F761-45AF-9A2D-F7C2B506E968.jpeg
0714288D-C5D4-454D-95FC-4B1B96B68E96.jpeg

So coming full circle, @xumFJ40 (Ryan) and I installed the Aussie in Pikachu at his place in Celina yesterday.

I’m making some pretty big life changes in the coming months, so it was a great chance to get this done and drink some beers together before things get busy.

The 60-mile drive was awesome with things blooming out and green.
35CE86C7-1F84-4692-8224-A329F0356E80.jpeg

I've never seen a shop with a floor like that. Do creepers and jacks still roll easily? How do you handle liquid spills?
Yeah, it is artificial turf. Things actually roll just fine since the turf isn't very deep. Although we try to minimize spills, it just kinda "disappears" when you do.

I've never seen a shop with a floor like that. Do creepers and jacks still roll easily? How do you handle liquid spills?

The previous owner put some old field turf in and used it like an indoor training facility. As @cbmontgo mentioned no issues with keepers or Jack's rolling... I do my best to limit liquid spills, but at the end of the day it's a shop... I've thought about pulling up the turf, but man, it sure does make it nice on your knees!

So does this set up mean you don't have to bleed at each wheel cylinder, it bleeds back into the reservoir? That would be very helpful!

That's just bleeding the MC. You can also get a short line from any auto parts store, cut the ends off, attach aquarium hose and bleed away. This is not getting the air out of lines down the system from the MC.

09VrJrw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom