Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

s***'s gettin' real.

IMG_5626.JPG

The hard part IMO is the disassembly and worse of all cleaning. Get those fingernails dirty!

Best way to clean all those?

Throw them in a tub of cleaner?

Yup. You might call a local machine shop and see if they can put them in their hot tank parts washer. ~$20 and your golden. Worst case lots of solvent, scraping and towels.

I'm going to dig into my front end to soon. Got an email from east wood about a small parts washer yesterday I thought I might try since I don't have a sink in my small to me Florida garage. I also saw today harbor freight has a version about 2/3 the price but not metal construction and reviews said pump can fail.
I posted a pic on my 40 page.
Might be worth a look to you as well. I figure I can use it on many parts when working on the 40. I like clean parts

Gonna start putting it all back together this week.

There was over an inch of dirt and grime on the knuckle housings, but the axle seals were still intact. Axles, birfields, and bearings still looked like new. Gear oil and moly grease were still separated.

Can't always judge a book by its cover as they say.

IMG_5738.JPG

With Pikachu only days away from rolling under its own power, I needed to get tires on order. The ones that came on the truck were Mississippi mudders with dry rot cracks that rivaled Canyonlands from an aerial view.

My original plan was to go with the 34 x 10.50 Interco Super Swampers as I had on the '73, but I soon learned that the "old" style was no longer available in this width. I'm having a hard time warming up to all of the sidewall bling that is rampant with MTs lately.

Old style Super Swampers NLA?

So, after a lot of research, I went with BFG KM2s in 33 x 10.50. I rattle canned the new OEM wheels with Smoke Gray Rustoleum. Mounted, balanced, and ready to go.

IMG_1134.JPG

Lots of 40 Series bidness going on in my garage right now. My wife is concerned about my addiction.

View attachment 1405536

Once you get the new shoes on Pikachu, it looks like you'll have room for another 40. An early FST would compliment your collection.

Once you get the new shoes on Pikachu, it looks like you'll have room for another 40. An early FST would compliment your collection.

Ha...if you look closely, there is a 1965 Mustang rag top next to Pikachu. I better quit while the gettin's good.

Great work! Reminds me of what I did to my 40s in the past...enjoyed every minute of it!
Cant wait for pictures once you put the new shoes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom