Build Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that just a fold and tumble rear seat? I want to add 3 points in the rear for my girls to travel with.
 
Is that just a fold and tumble rear seat? I want to add 3 points in the rear for my girls to travel with.
Yes, it is a Bestop. Works really great in a 40.
 
After a week in Telluride, my boy and I went to pick up the ole mut at the kennel. They are always so happy to be reunited.

On a tech note, I made some idle adjustments to the carburetor today, since things are a little different at 9,100’ elevation. This 2F is running absolutely perfectly now. I am going to continue running the stock jets, as my mixture isn’t excessively rich and I’ve got plenty of power (for what it is).

My son gets a kick out of all the “thumbs up” that we get in this thing.

Happy Friday.
6684A81D-5C45-41D0-99FB-4F0519B12934.webp
 
Way back earlier in this thread, I did some troubleshooting on my blinkers. After disassembling them and checking grounds countless times, I decided to just throw money at it.

I bought a new OEM set.

Plan was to take the good fender lamps from my 1976 and put them on Pikachu, then treat my original 1976 rig with the new ones.

Man, these are beautiful.
4F0ECFCD-4DD7-410C-B544-62348A998D47.webp
C49F0407-1220-4330-B60C-EFA73785223C.webp
 
I removed the old ones and sanded the fender grounds with 400 grit.
CD575FF2-05EF-4D19-B93A-9E81BE91A255.webp

Then I bolted the ‘76 housings in. We are in business. Blinkers and running lights are finally working perfectly. I’m pretty pumped. Last electrical issue to tackle is the instrument cluster lighting, but that’ll come eventually.
ABBDCB69-3BB1-4F3A-B655-BD8B3EAD3834.webp
 
Also mentioned earlier was a set of crusty jump seats that I picked up a while back. They needed some love, but had good frames.

The Bestop fold and tumble seat is great, but I want OEM jump seats. It’s part of the identity of an FJ40. I sometimes revisit my 12/2/2016 mission statement on this rig: “I want a dependable and capable trail rig with the OEM look...”

So, I started removing screws and vinyl yesterday.
476876BF-F701-445C-AAC3-6C0B7E0904CA.webp
 
Cracked open the old vinyl to find foam in really great condition. My wife has done upholstery over the years and gave the foam the green light to save. I’m pretty pumped about that.
BB1C4EA6-5AB2-4F3A-A470-177AE1992D9B.jpeg
 
Last edited:
So everything is stripped down to the frames. Surface rust on the pans, but nothing beyond that.
77C3C72E-E622-460E-BBA2-2EB906589E12.webp

Then came a couple hours of sanding, painting, and laying out foam for reassembly. CCOT seat covers and Cruiser Corps screws are en route.
CF1DB99D-3079-4A50-985B-446E45B926AD.webp
08DE7BBF-0AAA-48EC-ABCE-64FD5DDAE747.webp
 
I am really impressed with the Cool Cruisers vinyl. I also used the CCOT seat belts, since I don’t have any OEM ones at the moment and I’m not gonna pay eBay prices for them.
D97C2E76-B92E-484F-A49D-DE485821B7A4.webp
F1325C61-8948-4F55-A72E-9C7539C6E610.webp
6136FB04-0478-422A-A48E-8CE0B0C56532.webp
 
I had a hankering to do some mountain exploring late last week. Looked over some topos, loaded up my son and dog, and headed for the central Sawatch Mountains.
93238B6D-AFA3-4296-B68A-7633FCF85F9E.webp
4E5A7C8C-C87D-4BA3-9BAB-9C507540411A.webp
1C89117E-09F9-4530-B06A-ECBC7F9E1295.webp
 
We met up with a friend and his son in Buena Vista, tested the CBs, bought some supplies, and rolled into the wilderness.
409A591B-B1E9-48C9-B58D-1A7C4B91B399.webp
7E1E206C-034A-439E-B3FF-FD18F6E74A49.webp
 
What began as a light rain became heavier and heavier as we climbed further up in elevation. With my buddy’s classic Bronco having some minor fuel issues, we decided to let things cool down and wait out the storm in an abandoned mining camp mess hall. It was very cool. My son particularly enjoyed it.
E8C40A7F-8CC0-4B62-8A8E-77D400B6832F.webp

AF8A23FF-C6DD-4B0F-9384-F4AAB02DF080.webp
5923309E-7D62-4756-8E7F-A406735D2ABE.webp
898B5738-8B7D-44F6-917A-A3E9EB4BC435.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom