Builds Project Overland (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know! Can't wait to wheel it, especially with the lockers. I was headed out on a month long trip out west last summer when turbo blew up. Plus, I've been slacking on getting some proper armor for it. I'd like some sliders and a skid plat before I wheel it too hard but I am hoping to plan another big trip for next summer. Unfortunately, I'll be here in Kabul for most of the winter.

Cruiser looks great Gehn! Glad to see you got it back up and running..... as for that trip out west if you wanna push it back until 2011 I will be headed out that way myself again and would love to tackle that CDT route we had planned :cheers:

VT Cruiser... what was the part number for the fuel compensator? Was that off a 1HDT or 1HDFT? Did you consider the one from All-American? Or do they use an OEM one like you did?

VT Cruiser... what was the part number for the fuel compensator? Was that off a 1HDT or 1HDFT? Did you consider the one from All-American? Or do they use an OEM one like you did?

The compensator came as part of the kit from AAI and is OEM. 1HDT vs 1HDFT, I am not sure.

P1010039.jpg

I am finally back in the states! Yesterday I unburied the cruiser in the garage. After sitting for over two months I just connected the batteries and it fired right up. Also started adjusting the max off-boost injection volume. So far I have given it 3 turns and I have noticed an increase in response and a slightly lower boost threshold. It's not down to 1000rpm as the writeup mentioned, however, I also haven't turned it up enough to see the puff of smoke when revved. I'm going to drive it a little more as is before turning it up more.

Meanwhile, I am also trying to decide what to buy it for Christmas this year. The short list is a winch, aux lights, sliders, or a rear recovery bumper. Or all four...

I have put a few tanks of fuel through cruiser since the last round of tuning and I've really started to appreciate the difference. The boost threshold used to be around 1800rpm and it's now down around 1500rpm. It's really made the 1HZ come to life even running only .5 bar of boost and has helped smooth out the power delivery. I think I will give the max off boost injection volume screw a couple more turns eventually. If I could start building boost at around 1000-1200rpm, that would be ideal. So far my average winter economy has been about 21mpg which is on par with even my pre-turbo figures, and down from about 23mpg from the summer due to increased idling and that the hubs are locked 90% of the time.

holy c**p

VT Cruiser,
I just saw this thread and the remarkable truck. I am starting to get my HJ60 out of its last two years of daily driver malaise and this is inspirational. Also interested in your NGO work- would it be appropriate to send a PM to ask you some questions about it? I know that work and LC's don't always mix....
Thanks for the thread!
Jeff

VT Cruiser,
I just saw this thread and the remarkable truck. I am starting to get my HJ60 out of its last two years of daily driver malaise and this is inspirational. Also interested in your NGO work- would it be appropriate to send a PM to ask you some questions about it? I know that work and LC's don't always mix....
Thanks for the thread!
Jeff

Thanks! Sure, shoot me a PM.

Last week I put the cruiser back into hibernation for a few months, I am back in Afghanistan until May at least. Ran great while I was home and started every time, even in the sub-zero weather without a block heater. I'm impressed every time I drive that thing. I am saving up for some gear this spring and I'm hoping to plan a trip this summer.

Well it's May and I won't be home this month after all... *Sigh* The cruiser will remain in hibernation until July which is when I will be home next, maybe for good, maybe not. Funny how a 1-2 month evaluation can become a 11(+?) month consultancy... But, I suppose the silver lining is all this work means I can save up for all the gear and perhaps a long trip when I finish my work overseas. I do miss wrenching though...

PS: We now have two Cruisers out here, the newest acquisition being an '02 HDJ100 "soft skin" with 1HD-FTE, H151, lockers, front and rear bench seats and jump seats. Why didn't they sell these in the states again?? :cool:

Well it's May and I won't be home this month after all... *Sigh* The cruiser will remain in hibernation until July which is when I will be home next, maybe for good, maybe not. Funny how a 1-2 month evaluation can become a 11(+?) month consultancy... But, I suppose the silver lining is all this work means I can save up for all the gear and perhaps a long trip when I finish my work overseas. I do miss wrenching though...

PS: We now have two Cruisers out here, the newest acquisition being an '02 HDJ100 "soft skin" with 1HD-FTE, H151, lockers, front and rear bench seats and jump seats. Why didn't they sell these in the states again?? :cool:

Where are you again?

You should buy the truck from them when you come back.

A quick PSA: Drive your Cruisers people!

I just just got back for a quick visit home and pulled the cruiser out after sitting for 6 months (longer than I had anticipated). The calipers were frozen, the starter was stuck and I sheared a bolt pulling the starter out.

Ugh.

I finally got it cranked and it's running great but I'll need to do the brakes soon. I hate letting it just sit, next time I'm going to have my parents drive it for me. It sure is nice to be back behind the wheel though!

Happy 4th!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom