Builds Project Overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What an amazing rig and what seems to be an even more amazing owner. It boggles the mind how there are people out there that can successfully work on every aspect of their vehicles like you have. It's these types of rigs that people like myself hope to one day own knowing they have been more than taken care of.

Great build thread, just got done glancing over the whole thing.

I guess you never ended up doing the linked front and or rear. Any plans to do that still in the future?

Love what you did for the hand throttle on the shifter. I have thought about doing that a number of times in my trucks. I might just add it to my current build. Really good thing to have for in the rocks with a manual tranny.

Sorry if you already answered and went over my question above, I didn't read the whole thread just glanced over everything.

:cheers:

What an amazing rig and what seems to be an even more amazing owner. It boggles the mind how there are people out there that can successfully work on every aspect of their vehicles like you have. It's these types of rigs that people like myself hope to one day own knowing they have been more than taken care of.

Thanks fraglerock!

Great build thread, just got done glancing over the whole thing.

I guess you never ended up doing the linked front and or rear. Any plans to do that still in the future?

Love what you did for the hand throttle on the shifter. I have thought about doing that a number of times in my trucks. I might just add it to my current build. Really good thing to have for in the rocks with a manual tranny.

Sorry if you already answered and went over my question above, I didn't read the whole thread just glanced over everything.

:cheers:

I don't think so, at least not in the near future. If I did go this route however, doing a complete 80 series chassis conversion would be the more economical approach versus converting the 60 series frame as planned originally, and would probably yield better results for a daily driver/weekend wheeler. Perhaps one day...

Great thread/build and very innovative. Are you still going ahead with the coil conversion?

Don't tell the boss, but I took a good chunk of the afternoon going through this thread. For a guy who is in the planning stages of overhauling the power plant of my fj60 this was awesome. I'm not looking to do anything as thorough as you have done but one can dream. Strong work man!

I just love everything you have done to your cruiser…What I like the most though is how you have stuck with a narrower tire and no wheel spacers..This is the landcruiser look!!

well i kill cruisers you create them.
keep em coming.

very nice work

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I don't have many updates to offer, really. I returned to the states last fall after living overseas for over 4 years so I haven't yet finished kitting it out as planned. But, it has resumed its role as my daily driver, and recently took me across the country from VT to Washington state where I now live and work. Attached is a shot in Yellowstone from the road trip. I hope to do some work on to it later this summer, so perhaps I'll have some more updates then.

10298890_10101392719840198_2499818011762006139_n.jpg

Congrats on the new job Gehn! Lots of great country to explore out that way and you have the perfect cruiser for it :beer: What kind of mileage did you get on the way out?

Congrats on the new job Gehn! Lots of great country to explore out that way and you have the perfect cruiser for it :beer: What kind of mileage did you get on the way out?

I averaged about 19mpg at around 65mph with the 4.11's. I was driving against gusting headwinds up to 70mph across Iowa and Nebraska, which was enough to blow my bike off the roof once. I got about about 17mpg on those days...

How are the Procar seats on long drives? I find in my 80 that my right leg goes to sleep after a few hours and gets all together uncomfortable after 5-6 hours. Looking for a fairly painless upgrade in the comfort department.

How are the Procar seats on long drives? I find in my 80 that my right leg goes to sleep after a few hours and gets all together uncomfortable after 5-6 hours. Looking for a fairly painless upgrade in the comfort department.

They're ok for the price, but I wouldn't buy them for that reason only. I got them for the value and the convenience of the direct bolt-in because my original driver's seat was so worn out. For those reasons, they're great. I haven't spent enough time in an 80 to really compare, but they're more supportive than the original 60 seats for sure, though they're also a bit firmer and less cushioned, which can take a toll after a while. But I'm not sure I'd be comfortable in any car seat for more that 6 hours at a time...

Alright Gehn time for some updates! You've been out in west coast Cruiser heaven for 4 months now. You should have plenty of 60 actions shots by now, lets see them :beer:

Alright Gehn time for some updates! You've been out in west coast Cruiser heaven for 4 months now. You should have plenty of 60 actions shots by now, lets see them :beer:

Shamefully, I haven't been wheeling yet since moving out here. I have been working on it some, but mostly just maintenance. Before driving it out here, I had the front and rear axles rebuilt and upgraded the front brakes with 4Runner calipers. The brake upgrade was a huge improvement, but it has already developed some strange bearing noises coming from the front axle so I think I'll need to tear back into it again this spring. I'll do the work myself this time though... I think my birfs are worn out anyway.

Last summer I also finally replaced the clutch and replaced the rear section of my exhaust manifold with new gaskets and rings. No more leaks, and I think it improved the turbo response a little too.

Tentative plans this year:
  • Get the A/C working
  • Rebuild front axle (again), upgrade birfs(?)
Wishlist (funds permitting):
  • Finally get a proper suspension
  • New wheels/tires
  • Armor and winch
  • Long-range tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom