Builds Project Overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like your front axle needs attention yesterday. It is costomary to go back and readjust, or at least check the preload or the wheel bearings after a big service, maybe a few hundred miles down the road. This is fairly easy to do...

Holly mother, this thread is tits! The kind of work that always impresses me most is the rust removal and prevention, chassis swaps etc. That's the kind of work that scares me most. I can work on engines and such, do mechanical preventive maintenance and so on, but body work, I don't know abut that.

Hot damn, this thread may lead me astray from my current build (07 Lexus GX470). This kind of detail throughout the build from virtually day one to now is incredible. I hope to be able to purchase a 60 series someday.

It's hard to believe it's been over 10 years since kicking off this project. The cruiser is still going strong and, believe it or not, there's actually been some progress in the build so I though I'd update the thread with some of the recent modifications since my last proper update back in 2015:
  • Got the A/C working (which was way easier than I thought it would be. I literally just replaced the seals and charged it... I should have done it YEARS ago!)
  • Front axle rebuild with chromoly shafts
  • 4x4Labs dual-swing-arm rear bumper with spare tire and jerry can attachments
  • CB radio with WagonGear Antenna mount
  • Modified 40 series steelies wheels (16x7) with 295/75 BFG A/T K02 tires
  • New OME Dakar springs, heavies front and rear
  • Warn 8274 winch
  • ARB Awning
  • Custom interior curtains
Below is a more recent photo of the current setup from a trip to Utah earlier this year. I'll try to keep this thread up to date, but for more regular updates and trip photos, look me up on instagram: @TransientRambler

:steer:

30078539_600768403589096_4649632630013165568_n.jpg

I remember meeting you way back in the day. Glad to hear you're still enjoying your truck!!

Firstly, I would say thanks for sharing. Awesome thread. I am going to have to borrow a few innovative ideas from you :beer:. Your build is also inspiring for what I am currently doing to my 86' 60. I also work an odd job keeping me away from the fun of wrenching on the cruiser. To see you not loose your main focus on the outcome you envision is pretty awesome.

How has the Ams Oil Bypass filter treated you over the years? I am looking to do something similar on my 12HT.

Last edited:
Firstly, I would say thanks for sharing. Awesome thread. I am going to have to borrow a few innovative ideas from you :beer:. Your build is also inspiring for what I am currently doing to my 86' 60. I also work an odd job keeping me away from the fun of wrenching on the cruiser. To see you not loose your main focus on the outcome you envision is pretty awesome.

How has the Ams Oil Bypass filter treated you over the years? I am looking to do something similar on my 12HT.

Thanks! The bypass has been great. I wasn't too impressed with the hoses/hardware provided with the kit so I sourced others, but it may have improved since I bought mine. I probably don't put enough miles on the cruiser these days to take full advantage of it the bypass, but it's great when used in conjunction with their extended interval oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom