Builds Project Overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A quick PSA: Drive your Cruisers people!

I just just got back for a quick visit home and pulled the cruiser out after sitting for 6 months (longer than I had anticipated). The calipers were frozen, the starter was stuck and I sheared a bolt pulling the starter out.

Ugh.

I finally got it cranked and it's running great but I'll need to do the brakes soon. I hate letting it just sit, next time I'm going to have my parents drive it for me. It sure is nice to be back behind the wheel though!

Happy 4th!
I am sure I can find someone to exercise that critter while you are gone...;)

Home leave...

I was back in the states again briefly over the holidays on some home leave. It was great to be behind the wheel of the cruiser again and it ran flawlessly. Having the family drive it every once and a while seems to have paid off, though it's coming months that will be the real test.

I've been itching to pull the trigger on a bunch of new gear for it but just can't justify buying a bunch of accessories that will just sit in storage until I find the time to install them. Instead, I plan to spend my future trips home working on the small things I've been putting off. I made a list while I was home:
  1. Replace stereo
  2. Seal/charge A/C
  3. Touch up paint/undercoating
  4. Fix e-brake once and for all, t-case output?
  5. Repair/replace front seats
  6. Install sound deadening/complete AUX wiring
  7. Rebuild F/R axles, paint housings
  8. install a proper lift, rear airbags

The "overland" aspect of the build has been put on hold for the time being, though these fixes will make the platform that much more solid. As of July last year I am full-time employee of a the NGO that I work for (vs a consultant as I was before). This is good news for the career, but it means the time frame of my work overseas (Afghanistan or elsewhere) is much more open-ended. Bad news for the progress on my cruiser. Sadly, this list will probably take the next YEAR to complete given how much time I likely be able to work on it.

:frown:
P1010270.jpg

Just finished reading this thread from the beginning. Really cool! Thanks for taking so much time to document the process with pictures and such detailed explanations. It was very impressive.

I'm with wetzel. Wow that truly is a thing of beauty and glad that the consultancy has turned into a full-time gig. Granted the pay may not be the same but well worth it.

Overdue update

I was home over the summer and it was another bittersweet reunion with the cruiser. Right off the bat the starter died. My dad had been driving it once a week throughout the winter/spring, the last time being a week before I got home. But of course the first time I tried to start it, I turned the key and... nothing. Seriously. I had the starter rebuilt and then a few days later one of my rear eldo calipers froze up so I gave it new rear brakes. I finally got it back on the road just in time to leave again and the brake master cylinder started failing. Perfect.

It wasn't all just catching up on maintenance though...

GTurbo Upgrade

I bought and installed a GTurbo from Graeme (gbentink). It was a direct swap for the CT26 I had in there and provides better low-end response. I describe the install and results in Graeme's GTurbo user thread starting here with a few follow-ups in later posts. Initial results on my 1HZ are much better response but increased EGT's. I suspect a little more boost (currently only 8psi) and a proper tune will really make this turbo come alive. Perhaps a front mount I/C as well...?

Unfortunately, that will all have to wait for my next trip home.

Glad to heard from you Ghen. And the cruiser continues to amaze, it has come a long way. Keep safe and we all look forward to another update, not matter how long it might be.

Great looking seats

Wow! I just came across this thread and you did an AWESOME job. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Beautiful truck!!

As a somewhat newbie to 60s I have to ask this question, and mind you I didn't read the whole thread, but why didn't you just do a body swap instead of a fully engine/suspension swap?

Wouldn't it have been easier to take the donor body and put it on the frame you already had? clean up the frame while the bodies are off.

I'm not trying to criticize, but trying to learn. I think you did an awesome job on this one!

Thanks
phil

Beautiful truck!!

As a somewhat newbie to 60s I have to ask this question, and mind you I didn't read the whole thread, but why didn't you just do a body swap instead of a fully engine/suspension swap?

Wouldn't it have been easier to take the donor body and put it on the frame you already had? clean up the frame while the bodies are off.

I'm not trying to criticize, but trying to learn. I think you did an awesome job on this one!

Thanks
phil

The frame and body on the original brown HJ60 were shot, but the interior and powertrain were good. The silver donor FJ60 was for the body and I happened to have a 62 frame lying around. The easiest was would have been to just swap the interior and powertrain to the FJ60, but I had pulled the frame anyway and decided to use the 62 frame instead.

I'm going to start from page 1 tomorrow. I skimmed through the last few pages and this looks like a great thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom