Project - Auction Non-Run/Drive 2000 LX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Both of the rigs retreated to the parents house tonight. All day without power at the apartments and going into a 15deg night, felt like a good call to take mom up on hot food, free booze and a warm bed. No matter how old we get, parents STILL come in clutch.

C892648D-C5C6-4CCA-8DB3-D714E42252AC.jpeg

Groot has had a relatively quiet couple weeks lately. Not a whole lot of time to show him much love, and the 200 series needed a little TLC.

*Avert your eyes if you're going to be offended by ugly fab work***

IMG_2660.jpeg

I got the auxiliary battery bracket built and installed, complete with power steering reservoir relocation bracket. I got some 5/8 ID oil cooler line from a local hose shop ($8 for 3ft, as opposed to ~$80 for the OEM preformed hose), added a little heat shielding just for peace-of-mind, given the line's proximity to the block. I offset the reservoir such that any leak would fall pretty much straight through the bottom of the engine compartment without touching anything. I'm aware that that might make it more difficult to spot a leak, but if I'm going to have the hood open in the first place, it won't kill me to run a finger under the return inlet. Also keeps from eating away bushings/soft components in the suspension/CV area as the prior leak has clearly done. One thing I'd like to add soon, is some type of light-gauge sheet metal heat shielding on the drivers-left-hand side of the reservoir. Might be overkill, but might also be worthwhile if I'm running long road trips. All I had in the garage was some orange rust-coating... also probably unnecessary. A retention bracket will be added and bolted into the wheel-well when I've got the rest of the system put together.

Other than that, I've just stripped seatbelt assemblies from the third row, replaced some burned out bulbs, added some yellow fogs.

Still waiting on steel to get this roof-rack going, it's already about a month overdue, but I'm a patient man. Sometimes.

Another quiet couple weeks. Funny how there isn't much to write when not much is going wrong.

Alternator went out a couple weeks ago, and got that replaced in about an hour. Super easy job BUT... looks like someone before me had a blast with some power tools. Threads on the lower bolt were pretty well blown out, and the block matched. There were still about one-bolt-diameter's worth of threads still intact on the bolt, and matching usable threads in the block, so I'm not too worried at this point. I replaced the alternator about a month ago and used the vehicle regularly. Checked that bolt on Friday evening out of curiosity, and still properly torqued so I don't have reason to believe it's backing out or anything at this point.

IMG_2975.jpeg
63856381370__23709B54-1CBC-4181-B02F-72232C0C4544.jpeg

I also finished up a first iteration of some homemade drawers! I'm just using some $10 Target under-bed plastic bins for simplicity, and they work for the kind of capacity I need right now. They feel super solid, already had full coolers and a dog crate + 55lb dog on them for two weekends, so got that going for them. Gave me a great idea of how to proceed with a nicely finished and heavier-duty version for the 200.

IMG_3040.jpeg

I admit, with a big move coming up soon and with the market for these things right now, I'm considering selling Groot. But better believe I'm putting a high reserve on it, really been enjoying this guy. Daily driver for a while now and not super keen on seeing him go.

I looked the other day and prices on 100s & 200s are nuts! Nice work on the Alternator and platform.
You're not kidding. I'd heard they were going for good money, but hadn't actually looked. Given that I've got a cross-country move coming up and a woman who's overdue for a ring, I went ahead and listed it with a high reserve but it will be a heavy day for my heart if he winds up selling. Can't say how much I enjoy these 100-series.

New socks and shoes for Groot.

View attachment 2567253

Went with KMC 542 Impact 16x8 5x150 0mm offset wrapped in Atturo Trail Blade M/T 285/75R16. First impressions: impressive. Massive upgrade (is it really an upgrade if it was a mandatory replacement? Old wheels were SHOT), balanced out perfectly, and super quiet relative to other M/T tires I've run on my 2011 F150. Sub-$1000 for the entire package, which works for me. Going to run the truck pretty hard, and was looking to run something that I wasn't going to get precious about. I was worried about the 0mm offset, and it certainly sticks out a bit, but so little rubbing on the fender liner that I'll just be heating and warping the liner back about half an inch and will be whistling Dixie. No interference on the inside edge and none at the front bumper, nor at "High" suspension setting. Definitely a wider track, but I don't do enough technical trail driving that an extra 3 inches of track will be in any way a hinderance to me. Obviously won't be able to give much of a proper assessment until I get off road and air them down.

View attachment 2567269

Also, ran into a guy in my neighborhood, Gus, with a 1999 Land Cruiser with 550K miles on the odometer as the original owner. Whole lotta love for that. Not that it will need any help filling out numbers, but invited him to LCDC 2021.

View attachment 2567283

View attachment 2567288

Mine started running a little hot at idle again today, so I suspect a fan clutch will be in the cards here ASAP. As soon as I get driving and air is moving, needle falls back to operating temp.
Big fan of the build you did on that 100. Was curious during the time you owned it, how you liked the KMC impacts and the tires? I'm a fairly new owner of a lx470 and was leaning toward downsizing from stock 18s to the 16s and the Impacts check a lot of the boxes. Also, did you adjust any of the AHC sensors during or after install?

Big fan of the build you did on that 100. Was curious during the time you owned it, how you liked the KMC impacts and the tires? I'm a fairly new owner of a lx470 and was leaning toward downsizing from stock 18s to the 16s and the Impacts check a lot of the boxes. Also, did you adjust any of the AHC sensors during or after install?
Thanks man, I really miss that truck. Only owned it for I think a year, but been looking for another that I can sneak into the budget haha.

I really liked the Impacts. I liked the styling, the load rating, actually really wanted to run them on my 200 but with wanting 34/35s the 0 offset was going to be more work than I wanted to apply.

They took very little work on the 100 to be honest, a little heat molding on the liner, a small trim on the front edge of the running boards and very light work on the pinch weld if I recall.

No sensor adjustments on Groot, hadn’t yet done my due diligence on the system to be confident playing with that. Now that that has changed, I would have loved to level him just for appearances’ sake.

Hope that helps man, send your hundy my love 🫡

Thanks man, I really miss that truck. Only owned it for I think a year, but been looking for another that I can sneak into the budget haha.

I really liked the Impacts. I liked the styling, the load rating, actually really wanted to run them on my 200 but with wanting 34/35s the 0 offset was going to be more work than I wanted to apply.

They took very little work on the 100 to be honest, a little heat molding on the liner, a small trim on the front edge of the running boards and very light work on the pinch weld if I recall.

No sensor adjustments on Groot, hadn’t yet done my due diligence on the system to be confident playing with that. Now that that has changed, I would have loved to level him just for appearances’ sake.

Hope that helps man, send your hundy my love 🫡
I appreciate the feedback. That helps me a lot and pretty much solidifies the KMCs for me.
Much love, cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom