FJ60 #2....Rust Bucket Restoration (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you really do need at least two cruisers. then while you’re working/modifying/fixing one youll have the other to drive. makes sense to me. i have three and at times all three are apart. i think i need to look for another one
That's why the need for four. For me, the FJ40s and FJ60s serve different needs. My '84 FJ60 has been hit with rust issues from many winters on salted roads, but it's still running well and does great off road, even though it's all stock. My '86 FJ60 is a southern Nevada vehicle and will stay rust-free by not driving it during the winter months, I'd rather let the '84 take more salt punishment. And the FJ60s can haul more passengers and supplies, and are more comfortable on longer trips.

My '76 FJ40 also has some rusted out areas but only has 66,000 original miles. It has a few upgrades and modifications and does great off road, but it gets us to more remote places than the FJ60s due to its narrower width and shorter wheelbase. And my '71 FJ40 is being torn down and rebuilt with even more modifications than the '76. Like I mentioned above, I'll probably drop back down to one of each in the next year or two as I get a bit older and more focused on spending time enjoying the great outdoors.

It’s like lays potato chips. Can’t get your hand out of the bag once you had one. Our family has a few. It’s become a family affair. Best evolution of this journey for me. We have met so many great people. I met @4Cruisers through a frame/body swap. We been friends since. My boys look up to him. I sense cruisers are a means to a higher purpose. Good people and Nature.

My advice for those that purchase multiple cruisers is that you don't get rid of them. Still kicking myself over getting rid of the ones I did. Save yourself the grief and keep the ones you buy.

you really do need at least two cruisers. then while you’re working/modifying/fixing one youll have the other to drive. makes sense to me. i have three and at times all three are apart. i think i need to look for another one

if only this were for sale. i stumbled across it today.

63E5A838-465E-47B1-9D5B-0368E47EB63B.jpeg

Pics for sure...and tips for selling a wife on a second 60 please.

Tell her you want a Mustang 5.0 Fastback! She'll knee jerk and say "your crazy, that's not good for the family... Then you slide in... "that's why we should get another Land Cruiser" bam! You're in. This method just mostly worked on my wife except I want a 100 Series...

Tow truck drive bring it directly from getting side swiped?

Nope...that's how the PO bought her a year ago. Guess he decided not to put $$ or time into it. Either way, I think I've got the beginnings of a great project truck.

Nope...that's how the PO bought her a year ago. Guess he decided not to put $$ or time into it. Either way, I think I've got the beginnings of a great project truck.
Details!!!!

Ok...I finally received my second FJ60. Long story not quite as long to bring everyone just joining up to speed. About 2 months ago I bought my first FJ60 (Chloe) with every intention of hanging onto her and building her out for family "overlanding" adventures etc. When I picked her up, she was even better than I remembered from my test drive. After cleaning her up a bit, I began to feel guilty building out such a nice stock specimen. I've decided to leave her that way.

By chance I was skimming through the MUD classifieds a week or two ago and ran cross a truck in Delaware for $800. I immediately saw some parts I could harvest that were worth more than the asking price to me. I really had no intention of owning a 2nd FJ60 so soon, but I rationalized it as a donor and parting out truck. Figured I was returning Chloe's rims and tires, so the refund would more than cover the purchase cost and shipping. I gave it two days and saw no "PM sent" in the ad. I contacted the seller, talked out the details and sent a deposit. Worked through some transport headaches and found a storage unit close by to house it. Today I became the proud owner of a 2nd manual 4-speed FJ60! (Advertised as a '85 with ~250K mi, but I thought I caught a glimpse of the data plate saying '86...will check again later)

Since I bought it purely off speculation from internet pictures, I spent about an hour and a half crawling all over it after delivery. Here's what I found.

The Good...
-Frame is actually pretty good. Only major rust is inside the C-Channels, but hasn't eaten it's way to the outside
-Minus the known PS body damage, the rest looks good with no discernible rust in the normal areas. Luckily I'm taking a restoration and body panel repair class at the local CC's night classes!
-Indications are somebody was taking care of the engine. Looks like newer radiator, plug wires, #5 galley plug has been drilled and tapped, vacuum lines all look to be fairly new; possibly an alternator refurb in the last couple years
-Looks like a barely used older OME suspension/lift kit is installed
-Came with an extra PS rear door and taillight housings
-Bumpers are 99%; looks like new unscratched bumper end caps; OEM FJ62 mirrors; OEM washer bottles are complete and uncracked; both front seat headrests are in great condition (want all these for Chloe)
-Seat foam is firm and upholstery is untorn and just needs a quick shampoo
-Grill and headlight bezels are unbroken
-All original glass looks good
-No visible roof rust around rain channel

The Bad...
-Won't start, HOWEVER, I've put exactly zero effort into troubleshooting. Battery is 6 years old. Probably need to start there.
-Looks like the transfer case and/or oil pan are leaking...just generally a wet mess under there; has prevented rust though!
-Knuckles probably need a rebuild (hard to tell with a 3" layer of grime encasing them)
-C-channel repair
-Body panel repairs on entire PS rear quarter panel and front fender
-Missing spare tire support cross-member
-Zero interior carpeting (whatever; it's a blank slate)
-Gonna need a paint job
-CARFAX says the state of LA reported it as being involved in a MINOR to MODERATE accident about 10 years ago; sounds like basically a fender bender according to the LA definition of MINOR/MODERATE

I'm pretty new to the FJ60 world, but I didn't see anything that scared me or screamed PART ME OUT!!! I think #2 is a great candidate to salvage as a restoration and not part out. I've already started dreaming about a diesel swap!

FJ60 #2...this one...this is the one that I will not have a problem building out :cool:. It's going to take a while, but I'm sure it'll end up being worth it. Hell, my 2 girls (5 & 10) are already fighting over who's going to get which FJ...I had to remind them I'm not dead yet.

Enough talky talky. On to the what everyone is really here for...pictures.

Bonus tools hidden under the seat!
IMG_0262.jpg

Found this bad boy in the glove box.
IMG_0263.jpg

Extra door and misc interior parts...
IMG_0264.jpg

Headliner actually looks awesome!
IMG_0265.jpg

Some parts replacement to be done on the dash, but the top safety pad is original and looks to be salvageable with some restoration work.
IMG_0266.jpg

To be con't...

Overall the frame's not that bad...c-channels need attention though.
IMG_0267.jpg

A whole lotta wetness under here. Hard to see in the pic, but drips forming as I was under there.
IMG_0272.jpg

And here...
IMG_0273.jpg

More frame...what I initially thought was big chunks of rust in the original pics is actually some old coating that is flaking off. Pretty much just surface rust.
IMG_0275.jpg

OME and some fairly new extended sway bar links...busings don't even look half bad.
IMG_0276.jpg

The rear lift gate supports even work!!!
IMG_0268.jpg

Probably won't keep the random 62 electric window...Don't want the kids getting soft.
IMG_0269.jpg

I was keeping my fingers crossed the mirrors weren't cheap knockoffs...looks like genuine Toyota!
IMG_0271.jpg

AND A CAR ALARM!!!!
IMG_0270.jpg

Original paint...147...looks like I can't get away from the silver :confused:
IMG_0289.jpg

Not pretty, but fixable...
IMG_0277.jpg

Shouldn't see daylight here..
IMG_0278.jpg

Maybe this'll buff out!
IMG_0279.jpg

Dang..just missed that expiration date by a couple months!!!
IMG_0287.jpg

A Couple other cool things I found:

Somebody took care of the pressed galley plug.
IMG_0286.jpg

There's nice rubberized cover on the distributor.
IMG_0283.jpg

Chloe pulled #2 into place no issues. I also got a lot of practice maneuvering a 15ft long LC in and out of a 16ft wide alleyway!
IMG_0281.jpg

Props to my wife for muscling a non-running #2 around a tight turn and into the storage unit without the help of power steering!

As it says in the thread title, I'm viewing this one as a blank slate. I'd like to get some advice from the pros here on MUD as to how I should start eating this elephant...priority/order of projects/repairs. I'd like to essentially do a complete overhaul frame off restoration on this one. First I need to get it safe enough and mobile enough to move around.

The local Community College has a series of night classes for automotive restoration (except engine mechanical) where I can have access to any tool imaginable and instructors with 20+ yrs in the industry. I just have to be able to get #2 there to work on it.

Any advice/recommendations on build out would be appreciated too. I understand some of the advantages of other engines (chevy, etc), but I would like to stay in the Toyota family. I have been stuck on the idea of a diesel for a while, but the Mosley Motors Hi Power 2F seems appealing too. Also understanding it's recommended to upgrade to EFI for the HP 2F, I kind have a soft spot for the carbureted engines. Anyway...probably enough for today.

Some light restoration has begun on #2. Took the extra door in for my class project. Got it sanded down to good primer and prepped for the dent repair next week.

64119B65-57C9-4D95-AEBD-1C7823F3F712.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom