Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

62 FE is pretty much the same as the 60 not FE. I would bet there is a sock or a trap of some sort you can adapt to fit

I still think you should bob the rear. That rear bed is asking for problems. This thing is going to be SOA and large tires...when in Rome.

As for sleeping I bet with tailgate down it'll be quite cozy:)

62 tank... How does this compare to the 60 tank you have?
image-3385120598.jpg

image-3385120598.jpg

nearly the same. the fuel pickup on mine is in the lower right corner in your pic. you can see the flat spot where it used to be. I bet they used a modified mold of the same tank.

My 4R is EFI with the pump in the tank.

cool, I think a trip to the u-pull it yard is in order. at 18 gallons, it may take 2 tanks to get a full load of fuel for extended trips. I'll see what's there and will fit.:D

Shawn,

The tank from a Trooper is a very nice, rectangular shape and may work for your application. Also, the Montero LWB tank is another contender. Also, a Jeep Cherokee tank may work as well, with a slightly less capacity.

Thread where I took bunch of pics of different tanks and measurements: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/629938-big-fuel-tank-5.html

Last edited:
thanks Ash! those are great ideas. looks kinda tall at first glance, but I'll take measurements, the shape is perfect.

You're welcome dude. The only bummer is that U Pull it uses a punch to stick a hole in the gas tanks for a quick drain. So, you''ll have to fix that hole and then make it rust proof afterwards - w/o blowing yourselves up in the process!!

I looked into JB Radiator fixing this hole and they charge about $80 or so I think. FYI.

those bastards! well, a metal tank would probably be easier than a poly one then, depending on the size of the hole. I'm heading down there in a few minutes.

those bastards! well, a metal tank would probably be easier than a poly one then, depending on the size of the hole. I'm heading down there in a few minutes.

It's an ugly hole :mad: You'd have to hammer the sharp edges flat from the inside and then just weld it shut. Getting a hammer and your large mitt inside would be the challenge but your kid maybe able to do it?

Come to think of Jstncase bought a chevy truck tank from there. He'll have to enlighten us on how he fixed the tank.

and for thoughts while I'm out-
what Jarred was talking about earlier. we are trying to keep the full bed length to make it possible to sleep in the bed while camping. right now it is a 6' bed. and Brock can cut it down later if he needs. lots easier than lengthening it.

I thought it looked a bit long in the rear. the wheel base will be 112" after the front is moved up about 4" to fit in the front wheel well. I'd prefer not to go any longer to keep break over angle manageable. but exit angle will be a bit of a "drag":rolleyes::D even with the SOA and big tires. I thought of cutting the frame to angle it up to meet the bed. that gets 9" more clearance. or make something of this sort with tubing. like this-

attachment.php

thoughts?

I found 2 tanks that may work in conjunction with each other. an 88 Toyota pickup with the fuel trap and a 86 mazda without, for use of filling the primary tank.

DSCF0881.jpg

DSCF0882.jpg

Last edited:
I spent 30 mins pulling a trooper tank to find it was not EFI.:bang: the later model ones that would more likely be EFI were all propped up by the fuel tanks.

what I got should provide 34 gallons approx total. if I can find the fuel pump bracket assembly.

got more done finally. the bed is mounted/tacked in at the front and middle now. and both fuel tanks mounted. fuel tank holes are welded shut and I cut, shortened, and turned the filler neck on the front one.

DSCF0888.jpg

DSCF0883.jpg

DSCF0887.jpg

How did you end up closing up the hole in the tanks? Did you treat the welds with anything for future rust protection?

I will put an epoxy tank sealer in when I get some. 1 had a larger hole, so I made a quarter size round flat piece and welded it in. the others were smaller and I was able to just build up the edges and weld it shut. there were no fuel fumes to deal with as they had been open to air for so long, there wasn't even a smell of fuel.

we have been looking at wiring diagrams for this week, so not much report worthy. however, today I finished up mounting the steering wheel and brake booster/MC. we had to modify the firewall steering wheel mount to clear the gas pedal. it's a '73 FJ55 column. we also made a spacer to help move the steering wheel back. lots of grinding also, in prep for the SOA.

DSCF0891.jpg

DSCF0894.jpg

got the rear SOA done yesterday. not welded in yet, but sitting where it should. front will take longer with the axle moving forward and a SR.

DSCF0899.jpg

anyone know of an 80 in any junk yards in the area? I need some parts and wiring.

progress has slowed because of the cold weather. Brock has wanted to be present for the front spring over and cut n turn. so focus has turned to electrical. we refreshed the wiper switch we have. opened it up and it looked like the 1st pic, cleaned contacts and regreased it, andl it looked like #2 pic.

I just got a '75 FJ40 wiring harness from jstncse. thanks! and also some weather proof plugs from pappy, thanks too! factory colora of wire from coolerman is on it's way, Thanks! with all that, wiring should be going in soon.

DSCF0901.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0905.jpg

DSCF0906.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom