Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

front SOA/SR is nearly done. Brock had a good long day of work.:D he pulled all the old spring bushings out and honed/cleaned up the spring eyes.
front is now 4.5" or so forward. this pic is a mock up pic, so ignore the shackle, it's not full weight on the spring, but it should come out to this height in the end. how does it look for wheel centering in the well now?

DSCF0907.jpg

DSCF0910.jpg

we reused all the factory spring mounts. it does save about 2" clearance on the front entry angle. in the end, it looks like this will work perfect. with the pinion at 2* down from the DS angle, it leaves 4* of caster. I will have to recheck that with a new angle finder. my old one got dropped once too many times. so it may not need a cut and turn!

DSCF0912.jpg

front SOA/SR is nearly done. Brock had a good long day of work.:D he pulled all the old spring bushings out and honed/cleaned up the spring eyes.

The axle looks good!

Not to be a hard-a$$, but let's get some safety glasses on that young man when he's out there hammering on stuff! :D

The axle looks good!

Not to be a hard-a$$, but let's get some safety glasses on that young man when he's out there hammering on stuff! :D

:D good call. he was most of the time. I didn't actually take the pic. I was under the truck while Eden helped him with the bushings. hence, he got away with no glasses for a moment.

:D good call. he was most of the time. I didn't actually take the pic. I was under the truck while Eden helped him with the bushings. hence, he got away with no glasses for a moment.

Quick tip on safety glasses (especially for kids):

Go get them some good safety goggles from a workplace safety store. Hanks tools has some good ones. They are comfortable, so they won't be annoyed at all at wearing them, and because they are goggles instead of glasses, they are just annoying enough to take off that you end up leaving them on all day.

And good safety goggles stay cleaner a LOT longer than cheap ones. My $20 sets from Hanks usually last me a year or so each.

Dan

so we are working more today. we made a set of extended shackles. the rears are on and the fronts are next.

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

I wish I had some experience like that when I was his age!

oh yes, me too! I had to teach myself and started at about age 23...

so we now have the cowl harness from a '95 FZJ80. most of this stuff will get cut out, but some very key parts are here. this sucker took me nearly 4 hours to extract. we spent an hour labeling plugs and got just over half way.

IMG_7008.jpg

I know the feeling.

I think juane has too. I saw his pic of the vortec harness a while back...:D

here's a question for you 80 series and dealer types-
is it possible to reprogram the ECU to get rid of the- alarm system, EGR, ABS system(it has it's own computer, is this even necessary), heater controls, ac, anything else it runs that I won't be using?

do most of these parts use a separate computer? what might the engine ECU need to see that I am not using?

I got this done for the LT1 in my 40, but that is a commonly used motor for the hotrod community and I found someone to reprogram it here in town and for cheap.

The Toyota ECU is not "programmable". It is what it is and it will be lookig for information that it will not be receiving with some of the inputs missing. I do not know the workaround but I bet Slee or Gary Wagoner does. Gary had a 1FZ, now a 2U in his FJ45 pickup body/80Series frame rig.

I forgot about Gary's rig. I have taken some ideas from that truck already. I'll check both, thanks!

here's a question for you 80 series and dealer types-
is it possible to reprogram the ECU to get rid of the- alarm system, EGR, ABS system(it has it's own computer, is this even necessary), heater controls, ac, anything else it runs that I won't be using?

do most of these parts use a separate computer? what might the engine ECU need to see that I am not using?

I got this done for the LT1 in my 40, but that is a commonly used motor for the hotrod community and I found someone to reprogram it here in town and for cheap.

EGR - yup, can be bypassed mechanically and electrically. I did the electrical bypass and no CEL.

ABS - yup, just don't send power to the ABS ECU.

ECU programming - nope!

Alarm system - separate ECU, under the driver seat. This is a port installed item on this side of the pond so doesn't talk to the ECU. Just don't install it!

Heater controls - I don't think the ECU cares.

A/C - the ECU does detect when you push the switch for the A/C so it bumps up the idle. It's just an input to the ECU so just don't use it and it won't care.

awesome news! thanks! I just got a reply back from Gary Wagoner that said he didn't use the EGR either and used a stock ECU. guess it's time to start cutting crap out of that harness!:bounce:

with the weather warming and it's been so lovely outside, we went back to some metal and fab work.
we cut the rockers a little in prep for the sliders. got 1 fuel tank filler neck done, the other is cut and ready weld up.

DSCF0920.jpg

DSCF0921.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom