PrInSu Design Studio - 80 series roof rack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
This was originally posted in my build thread since my rack is the first one for the 80 series. It was a good suggestion to start a new thread for the racks since some questions were coming up and there were lots of comments. Rather than clutter my build and to offer more exposure for the racks for those who don't watch my build, here's a new thread.

You can find all the details you need here: http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/#!80-series-landcruiser/c1wn3
These are not my racks, I just happen to be the lucky recipient of the first one.

These racks are built by a guy local to me (SLC) who has been building a version of these for Tacomas and FJ Cruisers for a while. I liked the design a lot and requested he help me with one for my new 80 series. My goal was to have a very low-profile flat platform rack that was lightweight and strong. Personally I couldn't be happier with how it has turned out.

The details include full length 1/4" aluminum side rails that run the full length of the rain gutter. Crossbars are 1x2" 80/20 aluminum extrusions with 2 t-slots on the top and bottom and another t-slot on the front and back of each crossbar. The rack is a completely bolt together design so the cross bars can be moved to different locations along the rails or removed entirely for a variety of configurations to suit the needs you have. The production racks will include 8 cross bars and one additional one at the front that the wind deflector attaches to. The wind deflector is also laser cut 3/16 aluminum. There are 4 attachment feet per side for a total of 8 to secure the rack to the cruiser. The racks also come with several tie down loops.

With the full length rails and the heavy duty extrusion crossbars, these racks have an impressive load capacity (much more capacity than anyone should carry on a roofrack). Since putting the rack on my cruiser there has been zero additional wind noise that I've been able to notice.

Note: THE FACTORY ROOF RACK MUST BE REMOVED in order to use this rack. Production versions are 1" taller than the ones pictured in order to clear the roof ribs of cruisers that came with the factory roofrack. Production versions also do NOT include the TEQ logo laser cut into the rails.

Feel free to discuss the racks here and ask questions. I'll be sending this link to the builder but if he's not monitoring the thread, I'll do my best to answer questions. I'm posting all the pics I currently have.

I love this rack. And good idea for separate thread. My only concern would be the "notch" in the front. I would bet I could snag every tree with it there.

IMG_7231_zpslj9hqstf.jpg

I love this rack. And good idea for separate thread. My only concern would be the "notch" in the front. I would bet I could snag every tree with it there.

IMG_7231_zpslj9hqstf.jpg
Definite possibility. I don't have a lot of heavily wooded trails where I am so it's less of a concern. If I did, a pair of limb risers would solve any issue with that.

Great to know! This is exactly what I want in a rack and its Local to me as well, also great to know on the tents!

Definite possibility. I don't have a lot of heavily wooded trails where I am so it's less of a concern. If I did, a pair of limb risers would solve any issue with that.
We do, I don't like limb risers, I think I would just stitch in a little metal to block off, but that is yet another thing to. Or sharping the nook so it would just cut them :hillbilly:

OMG this rack. And that tent! Kind of a dream situation for me...

I like it but...

The two racks I've tried have sucked A$$ when it comes to wind noise on the highway. So bad that you can barely have a conversation, and the vehicles next to you cover their ears. Bad.

My suggestion to anyone building / designing a new rack, find a way to deflect air to avoid noise. This looks like it has a decent deflector, but I'd want to know some more information as to wind noise driving down the highway as a DD.

That's my $6 advice.

Last edited:
The rack is awesome!! This will be the one I get, when I'm ready. I hope to get set up for the summer, for some remote camping with my son, Can't wait...

The rack looks fantastic.
Do you know it the crossbar channels are wide enough to have some bolt mount ski/snowboard on them?
The bolt inside the channel is rectangular in shape and measures 0.75 x 1 3/16

2015-03-17 17.31.52.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great looking roof roof rack.

Off topic, but that fabricator looks like he's 1/4 of the way to a bolt on pop top with those lines.

Last edited:
@Box Rocket Your truck looks great, the new rack looks great, but @musthave makes a good point about wind noise.
What say you with your experience so far.

Also, I love the full gutter mount idea... but when it rains or is wet, the rain gutter no longer serves its purpose to channel water from the windows/doors. I imagine your left arm would get soaked in a drive-thru or cruisin' after a rain with the window open... That said, I'd probably put up with it for the looks and functionality of the rack. The price isn't terrible either!

How much does a two-person RTT weigh?

Also, I LOVE the fact that he only has Toyota vehicles in mind. It might be a smaller market, but I don't like seeing Jeep SH*T mixed with Toyota stuff. I like this so much, I'm going to pass this on to a couple guys at work.

I like it but...

The two racks I've tried have sucked A$$ when it comes to wind noise on the highway. So bad that you can barely have a conversation, and the vehicles next to you cover their ears. Bad.

My suggestion to anyone building / designing a new rack, find a way to deflect air to avoid noise. This looks like it has a decent deflector, but I'd want to know some more information as to wind noise driving down the highway as a DD.

That's my $6 advice.
Good point, I look forward to hearing Adam's experience. If you don't mind sharing, which racks had excessive road noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom