80 Series Victory Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I have been trying to snag a Bowfin roof rack and have not been having any luck, but I stumbled on Victory 4x4 roof rack for the 80 series. Has anyone installed this roof rack? Thoughts? Pics? I didn't see anything in the forums so not sure if its because the rack is bad or because its new. Thanks!

No experience with Victory 4x4 on the 80 series, but I've seen a lot of people run them on 4runners, tacoma's and some Gx's. They seem decent but i've heard lately of their poor customer service so do your research. If I was going with one of the other name's out there, check out Sherpa. I've had them on 4runners and Tundras...very high quality and excellent customer service based on my experience. Good luck!

I have Sherpa. I trolled them enough on social media that they made one. :)

@Stik11987 Just curious, but since you originally want a Bowfin, why not a Prinsu? I've had one for 5 yrs now with no issues. Basically the same except for the mounts. Bunch of scuttlebutt about the mounts, but easily remedied.
I havent ruled out a prinsu. Mostly wasnt leading towards them because of that scuttlebutt about the mounts. What was your remedy?

I havent ruled out a prinsu. Mostly wasnt leading towards them because of that scuttlebutt about the mounts. What was your remedy?
Pretty much covered in this thread. It's only the front 2 mounts that are a concern, IMHO. On the others, the bolt head doesn't interfere with weather stripping. Care must be exercised, though, to align the 2nd mount from the front, to be on the B pillar, between the front and 2nd row doors.

Sherpa has a much better mounting solution imho.

Sherpa has a much better mounting solution imho.

To each their own, but you can't deny the side rails of the Bowfin and Prinsu, that run almost the entire length of the 80's gutters are better for weight distribution and capacity. The specs of each rack show that, also. Both static and dynamic. I do like the Sherpa's design of gutter attachment and that's where the Bowfin is desired above the Prinsu.

To each their own, but you can't deny the side rails of the Bowfin and Prinsu, that run almost the entire length of the 80's gutters are better for weight distribution and capacity. The specs of each rack show that, also. Both static and dynamic. I do like the Sherpa's design of gutter attachment and that's where the Bowfin is desired above the Prinsu.

They all run the length of the 80…..but the Prinsu’s asymmetric mounting system doesn’t distribute as evenly. Bowfin is interesting.

That said static and dynamic weight ratings arent certified by a 3rd party nor are they standardized and Prinsu generalized their ratings so can’t be sure when they say “most” racks. I don’t see any ratings for Bowfin.

I can’t speak to Bowfin because tbh I’ve never heard of them until this thread but I know several people who have thrown their Prinsu’s out and swapped to Sherpa.

When I bought my cruiser the owner was willing to throw in a Prinsu rack for $500, I declined given everything I’ve seen from them.

Last edited:
They all run the length of the 80…..but the Prinsu’s asymmetric mounting system doesn’t distribute as evenly. Bowfin is interesting.

That said static and dynamic weight ratings arent certified by a 3rd party nor are they standardized and Prinsu generalized their ratings so can’t be sure when they say “most” racks. I don’t see any ratings for Bowfin.

I can’t speak to Bowfin because tbh I’ve never heard of them until this thread but I know several people who have thrown their Prinsu’s out and swapped to Sherpa.

When I bought my cruiser the owner was willing to throw in a Prinsu rack for $500, I declined given everything I’ve seen from them.
It's natural to tout what ya got and dislike other approaches. The fact is, Sherpa's method is nothing new. My Yakima load bar system used a similar set up. Sherpa just uses multiple clamps, which helps to give a stouter rack mount. But, it doesn't use the entire gutter as the weight support, like the Bowfin and the Prinsu. Now I don't have an engineering degree, but from sheer gut feel and common sense, I still like the Bowfin/Prinsu method better.

The price of the Sherpa rack isn't far off from a full length Delta setup.

It's natural to tout what ya got and dislike other approaches. The fact is, Sherpa's method is nothing new. My Yakima load bar system used a similar set up. Sherpa just uses multiple clamps, which helps to give a stouter rack mount. But, it doesn't use the entire gutter as the weight support, like the Bowfin and the Prinsu. Now I don't have an engineering degree, but from sheer gut feel and common sense, I still like the Bowfin/Prinsu method better.

I don’t dislike other approaches, they are what they are. Our best guess (and theirs) is that the Bowfin and Prinsu offer maybe 100lb more capacity but we dont know if thats based on the number of crossbars, side rails thickness or mounting system.

People tout what they have because thats what their experience is with, I dont have a Prinsu because of the issues they have had and you do because your reasons. If they had no issues at all then I wouldnt say anything.

Last edited:
The price of the Sherpa rack isn't far off from a full length Delta setup.
It's quite a bit different...

Sherpa: $1499.00, comes with 10 cross bars, free shipping and powder coated.
Delta: $1678.00, no cross bars, doesn't include shipping and raw aluminum. Each cross bar is $119.00 each. Add 6 and you're up to $2392.00, still need to have it shipped and powder coated. You're likely into it $3000.00 by the time all is done.

Not bagging on Delta, seems like one hell of a rack, but you're certainly paying a premium.

How were you trying to “snag” a Bowfin? Is it backordered? The rack and its producer (Pat) are superb.
I was trying to get one through their website direct and looking at local listings (on a hope and prayer). They are back ordered. I messaged them through their website and to their account on mud, but never got a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom