PrInSu Design Studio - 80 series roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry man, wasn't meant to come across as hostile at all. Just trying to answer questions like I said I would. Tone is often lost in a typed message. If any of my comments thus far have seemed hostile, I apologize, they are not meant that way. I'll try to be less blunt with my personal opinions. :)

I get it, no worries :cheers: One of the reasons I had first asked if they'd sell just the side plates w/o cross bars. I like the idea of using bare side plates, trim them down to be super low profile then use steel cross bars making it even closer to the roof as the aluminum cross bars are quite thick.

Regardless, this the best looking rack I've seen to-date.

I don't think its a money thing. I think BoxRocket feels its a perfect design and may not understand the need for some of our feedback suggestions. But these suggestions, mostly, are based on experience. Every year I do a 5000mile trip with my son and a roof rack is part of the equation. You learn early on what works and what doesn't.

But yeah, he did say he was asking for feedback so :meh:

:flipoff2:
For the record, I think the suggestions are all valid because everyone has different needs. I'm just stating my opinion about them based on my own needs. There is very little if anything that I would personally change. As you guys have said, I don't have a vested interest so I'm just participating in the conversations and trying to answer questions if I can. I'll try to put on a more polite internet face, as I'm not trying to be a douche about any of it. :)

I don't think its a money thing. I think BoxRocket feels its a perfect design and may not understand the need for some of our feedback suggestions. But these suggestions, mostly, are based on experience. Every year I do a 5000mile trip with my son and a roof rack is part of the equation. You learn early on what works and what doesn't.

But yeah, he did say he was asking for feedback so :meh:

:flipoff2:
For the record, I think the suggestions are all valid because everyone has different needs. I'm just stating my opinion about them based on my own needs. There is very little if anything that I would personally change. As you guys have said, I don't have a vested interest so I'm just participating in the conversations and trying to answer questions if I can. I'll try to put on a more polite internet face, as I'm not trying to be a douche about any of it. :)

Well I don't think it came off that way. I wouldn't worry too much. We can all read that you are merely an advocate.

Well I don't think it came off that way. I wouldn't worry too much. We can all read that you are merely an advocate.
Right on. FWIW, Scott Brady has asked me for a feature write-up on the rack for the Expedition Portal/ Overland Journal. I'll try to include more detail photos and incorporate some of the suggestions in the article.

Right on. FWIW, Scott Brady has asked me for a feature write-up on the rack for the Expedition Portal/ Overland Journal. I'll try to include more detail photos and incorporate some of the suggestions in the article.

Awesome! :cheers:

Sorry for the late arrival here you guys, since I am not a cruiser owner myself I typically spend most of my time on the Tacoma forums. Since this is my first post I will make a few things clear and introduce myself as well. I am Zach, owner of PrInSu Design Studio. For the time being I am not here to sell or promote the buying of my product. Forums have strict rules about selling and "soft selling" and I don't want to overstep my boundaries until I can properly contribute to the forum as other vendors do. That being said, Adam is probably getting overwhelmed with all the questions thrown his direction. I really appreciate him taking on all the questions up till now and never expected such an enormous response to this rack. I will try to answer as many questions as I can on here but realize that I work full time outside of PrInSu so my responses may be delayed sometimes.

I got an email from jeffro109 with some questions so I will try and start there.

1. height of top of rack over roof line (say a few points like at sunroof, rear, etc)?

I will defer to Box Rocket for these measurements. Our goal was to leave about 1" of clearance from the tallest part of the roof. We hit that about perfect, maybe even a little less. That being said, other than looking at the tallest point I didn't take measurements elsewhere to see.

2. will it be offered in the prototype height or just the stated 1 inch higher profile?

The rack will likely be offered in only one height. The prototype model on Boxrockets truck might clear the factory luggage strips but it would be close. By adding a 1/2" you then have clearance without a noticeable difference in height. It also gives the wind deflector and the rear crossbar a bit more clearance which were both minor concerns I had on BR's rack.

3. can you drop tie downs in without taking the bars out? If not, can you fix that issue from the start or would we need to break out the grinder?

The current option requires you to undo the screws at the end and slide the tie downs in. Various types of tslot nuts can be purchased that drop in from the top. I haven't used those personally but my customers have with good success. It is possible to have the crossbars machined with an "access point" like boxrocket showed above. I have refrained from doing this because it adds to the cost, about $3-5 per crossbar which adds $50 to the entire rack. If enough people wanted this then I could make it an option, however my racks are built to provide the best solution at the lowest cost. Using a drill, grinder, or rotary tool could produce a similar function for those that want it without them having to spend the money. Again its really up to each person. I want to be able to save people money where I can though.

4. can the sides just be anodized vs powder coat?

The sides could be anodized, however unless done in large quantities it isn't cost effective. The extrusion crossbars are a standard industrial product. TSLOTS or 80/20 makes this profile standard and sell it all over the world. They have massive tanks to do the anodization and produce anodized versions in large quantities. I simply don't have the volume to do this with the side plates so powdercoating has been a better value. Personally I also think PC is a little better. It is a thicker coating so it holds up to dings and scratches a little better. Anodizing excels on the crossbars because it can be easily distributed into the small spaces of the extrusion. PC tends to go on uneven inside the TSLOTS and sometimes to thick which causes the tslots to be less useful.

5. is the hardware very corrosion resistant?

This is the best solution for hardware I have found. It is a black zinc finish. Essentially the same thing as normal zinc plated but with a darker coloring. Due to the weight and size of the machine screws they get a more tumbled look than the smooth washers and lock washers but that is my only complaint. Aside from powdercoating the screws or painting them this is the next best thing.

6. approximate weight?

I didn't stick this on the scale and haven't shipped any yet but my tacoma racks with similar build materials are ~40lbs boxed up to ship. 35-38 lbs installed. This rack is longer and has more crossbars and more mounting hardware so I would estimate the rack being ~60lbs give or take a few pounds.

Thanks @zscott . Looking forward to progress

I snapped a few more photos. Only had my cell phone so there's not quite the quality of the earlier ones but should help with some questions.

Clearance under the crossbars. Approx 1" . Little hard to see since my tent is on the rack.

Black Zinc hardware. Fender washer + lock washer

Feet bracket shows how it curves under the gutter

From the rear, rain gutter clearance. Should still allow rainwater to flow out normally.

rain gutter from the front

textured powder coat and zinc hardware

bolt head clearance at the front door. The rest are a non issue.

Last edited:
which was?

How the angle of the 1/4" bent aluminum "foot" was angled to meet the angle of the drip rail. Since there is an angle introduced I was quietly considering how the bottom of the rack's feet and the drip rail mated. Were they flat to flat or pointed bottom from angled foot to flat of the drip rail? I was just waiting for more pics but your last batch answered that.

Basically I wanted maximum material contact between the rack's long mounting wing and the drip rail. Thats all.

How the angle of the 1/4" bent aluminum "foot" was angled to meet the angle of the drip rail. Since there is an angle introduced I was quietly considering how the bottom of the rack's feet and the drip rail mated. Were they flat to flat or pointed bottom from angled foot to flat of the drip rail? I was just waiting for more pics but your last batch answered that.

Basically I wanted maximum material contact between the rack's long mounting wing and the drip rail. Thats all.
Almost like we thought about it ahead of time. ;) j/k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom