Price Check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks. I am looking at a 1984 FJ60 with a 2F 4.2 L6. They want $5k. Body is straight. No rust that I can see. Interior is almost mint. But the frame is rotten. I am planning a frame of restoration. But I need a good jumping off point. I plan on offering $3k. But really want the project so I am willing to come up. How much is too much?

Hey folks. I am looking at a 1984 FJ60 with a 2F 4.2 L6. They want $5k. Body is straight. No rust that I can see. Interior is almost mint. But the frame is rotten. I am planning a frame of restoration. But I need a good jumping off point. I plan on offering $3k. But really want the project so I am willing to come up. How much is too much?

20201017_124022.jpg

You may want to share some pictures which will help folks evaluate the current state for feedback. Also, I’m not familiar with the ZF drivetrain, but others may be able to chime in. Frame swaps are not too technical on a 60, so if you have access to a rust free frame and this body is rust free, then $3-5k may not be a bad value based on today’s market. Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress on this. Jimmy

You may want to share some pictures which will help folks evaluate the current state for feedback. Also, I’m not familiar with the ZF drivetrain, but others may be able to chime in. Frame swaps are not too technical on a 60, so if you have access to a rust free frame and this body is rust free, then $3-5k may not be a bad value based on today’s market. Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress on this. Jimmy
Sorry. I edited the post to include a photo. 2F engine. Didnt get any interior picks. They tried to save the frame and treated the entire under side. But I plan on replacing it anyway.

20201017_164240.jpg

the market for the 60 series is as good as it has ever been and seems to be no end in sight. That said, I'd say you are well in the safe zone at $3-5K. The black along the bottom of the bottom makes me think there is some rust in there that has been treated in the past, quite common.

It really all comes down to what you are prepared to "invest" in the truck. Invest being the key word because these trucks are climbing steady in value. Take a look at Bring A Trailer for a real world view of sales prices.

I do not know how bad your frame is but if you find yourself in need of a frame I have a 62 that I will be pulling the body from as soon as my body dolly is freed up from a body that will be transferred to the twirler in the near future. Let me know if I can help.

Makes sense on the drivetrain. Thanks for clarifying. As NCFJ stated, you should look really close at the body. Based on the underside channel rot as well as the inner wheel well rot, there could be a lot more hiding under the black paint. Would be worth pulling back the carpet and checking the floor and rear wheel wells. And curious about what looks to be an aftermarket sway bar. Never seen a mount like the one holding the bar to the frame in front of the rear axle.

Sorry. I edited the post to include a photo. 2F engine. Didnt get any interior picks. They tried to save the frame and treated the entire under side. But I plan on replacing it anyway.

View attachment 2468489
Makes sense on the drivetrain. Thanks for clarifying. As NCFJ stated, you should look really close at the body. Based on the underside channel rot as well as the inner wheel well rot, there could be a lot more hiding under the black paint. Would be worth pulling back the carpet and checking the floor and rear wheel wells. And curious about what looks to be an aftermarket sway bar. Never seen a mount like the one holding the bar to the frame in front of the rear axle.
I am going to go give it a good underbody inspection today. I didnt see that wheel well rust. I am prepared to deal with a bad frame. But if the body is bad, there is nothing of value here.

So I took another look at it and the rust is only the inner frame filler. Not the actual c channel. So theirs that. The c channel is rusted though on the passenger side after the axle. But still planning on a frame swap. The rhino lining is likely going to be permanent. It doesnt look awful. Anyway. The major issue with the is the the only real body rust is problematic. The left rear body mount is completwly gone. Not a big deal of I take the body off and pay a pro to fix it while I reassemble the new frame. Thoughts?

20201018_133651.jpg

20201018_130713.jpg

in the 2 pics of underneath, there is definately structural body rust.
1st pic look directly above the frame, underside of tub
2nd pic the entire rear body mount is unsupported and the inner rear quarter has holes in it.

it would be hard to have that amount of frame rust and not have body issues

I looked at a truck last year that I passed on though it was worth the asking price. That truck was $800 and in better shape than this one.

Funny enough, there was a 60 at the local cruiser shop for an inspection that was all rusted out and the owner did a lot of work fixing the extensive rust but he basically turned the closed frame rail into a c channel. The body rust was cut out and replaced but not a very good job. Given a nice paint job. He was asking $18k :rofl:

The guy at the cruiser shop said it's a $4000 piece of junk. Goes to show that canadians have more tolerance for rust lol.

There has been one for sale in Nags head nc for 5500 I stopped and looked at and laughed at the price on the for sale sign it is a rusty pos it has to have spent its whole life on the outer banks nc. Crazy how much people ask for them knowing how rusty they are this one was showing all its rusty glory I didn't even waste my time looking under it. Just got back in my 62 laughing saying if that thing sells i am selling my 62 for 20k

There has been one for sale in Nags head nc for 5500 I stopped and looked at and laughed at the price on the for sale sign it is a rusty pos it has to have spent its whole life on the outer banks nc. Crazy how much people ask for them knowing how rusty they are this one was showing all its rusty glory I didn't even waste my time looking under it. Just got back in my 62 laughing saying if that thing sells i am selling my 62 for 20k

Goes to show that canadians have more tolerance for rust lol.

For sale locally for $12k :cool:

0D3EB461-FA51-4D0D-917E-F4540F60982C.png
BC6EB7FF-8A96-4130-8E4C-B8DB9A0B3555.png

I have a complete rolling chassis - frame in excellent condition and a number of new OEM parts, freshly dealer serviced axles, brakes, etc. - that's for sale and will be ready for shipping in about 3-4 weeks.

Here's a link to the updated listing (below); willing to reduce price based on complete roller vs. what's needed.

Shane

I have a fully restored frame off a 62 project we might could work a deal on. It's solid, trail tailor C channels installed, inside of the rails coated and the whole exterior POR15'd. I'm trying to work a deal on a 60 so this project may come to an abrupt end. Let me know if you are interested.

I would like to Personally Get @NeverGiveUpYota 's Opinion on the frame rust issue 🤔

She Tackled it recently and should have some words of wisdom here ..............:idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom