Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5C4E50F8-76E2-409B-9BD4-B2D505A275AE.jpeg

Fuel keeps leaking From the fuel rail ring! Every hour or so. What gives? Not a good situation

3B41F7B9-AE87-4959-92D0-EAD44913B3BF.jpeg

Plastic bits of chain guide in pan.

A1F5AB6B-9A3E-4538-81C5-FDA9FB99A130.jpeg

Broken guide bolt hole. That was the faint clicking. It was just wiggling back and forth.

Time to start cleaning everything over the next few days. I have a parts order coming in the meantime. Then I’ll button her back up.

A1F5AB6B-9A3E-4538-81C5-FDA9FB99A130.jpeg

@freedap i just started using a diode in my alt-s but have no feedback it did boost my voltage up to 14.2 volts. We will see the long term affects on the alternator.

@iptman AGM’s need 14.6 volts to fully charge. 13.6v will only partially charge them.

Just a reminder to all of you early Taco IFS owners...check your ball joints! It was my son's biggest fear on his, so we swapped out first thing when he bought his.

This was 5 miles up the dirt access (county owned) road to my friends' place yesterday in the middle of nowhere...

Just a reminder to all of you early Taco IFS owners...check your ball joints! It was my son's biggest fear on his, so we swapped out first thing when he bought his.

This was 5 miles up the dirt access (county owned) road to my friends' place yesterday in the middle of nowhere...
had that happen to me in my 04 tacoma turning onto west st in Annapolis like 7 years ago, sucks. glad he is alright

Same thing happened Sunday, leaving fall crawl in 2019 on the road out of camp. That's my friend Adam's 1UZ swapped 3rd gen 4runner. He got lucky it happened there and not on the trails or on the side of the road back to Ohio

image_from_ios-5.jpg

Fully lacking IFS knowledge, how are these checked and should one carry spares?

TIA

LBJ replacement

$125/side for OEM

(R) 43330-39815
(L) 43340-39585

Be sure to double chk those parts numbers.

What actually happened was the bolts backed out of his knuckle and cracked the casting of the ball joint but somehow the threads in the knuckle were fine. I've heard of others with the same issue with the bolts but only specifically the 3rd gen. IMO you don't need a lower as a spare in general unless they're old.

Spare... probably not... spare CV .... yes IMO. I think the spare CV is mostly important if you don't have manual hubs. Because the autos constantly spin.... That is the way my tacoma is. So if you bust a CV or rip a boot open or something you are SOL as far as limping back to civilization in 2WD. manual hubs you can probably have a bit more forgiveness. I might be wrong about that.... fact checking encouraged.

Spare... probably not... spare CV .... yes IMO. I think the spare CV is mostly important if you don't have manual hubs. Because the autos constantly spin.... That is the way my tacoma is. So if you bust a CV or rip a boot open or something you are SOL as far as limping back to civilization in 2WD. manual hubs you can probably have a bit more forgiveness. I might be wrong about that.... fact checking encouraged.

Always carry a spare CV offroad and tie rods too if you have IFS

Always carry a spare CV offroad and tie rods too if you have IFS
only need to carry tie rods if you own a GX or 4runners, land cruisers are built pretty beefy :flipoff2:.... just kidding bud

only need to carry tie rods if you own a GX or 4runners, land cruisers are built pretty beefy :flipoff2:.... just kidding bud

Lets be real here...I'm a dumbass and break anything I own

Thanks for the quick responses and the video. The Taco is my DD. It will never get wheeled, just locked for inclement weather when the need presents.

It was definitely fun watching him replace that toothpick while we all sat around drinking.

dang, never had that issue w/ my 2nd gen 4runner on 33's w/ ball joint spacers. i did carry a nasty/smelly spare CV and tie rods, but never used them on the trail. i had manual hubs. maybe i got lucky?

happy to be rid of the IFS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom