Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time to put a cam and a header on it. 2.25 exhaust on a tri-y header will really wake that up!
I had a header on my old pickup. 22R. I’m trying to sell or trade this girl after I’m done. I want to find a decent 60 or wish come true 55 to fix up. I know I’ll be trading something nice for something needing love, but that’s ok!

I am wondering how far to go with this…. Like a complete “refresh” or just change the chain/guides/water pump/ gaskets/ hoses and button her back up. I could get some pistons and rings. I dunno. I’m about to order a bunch of hoses anyway.

What’s the conventional wisdom on reusing the 22RE head bolts? I know there are different opinions on the matter. I was going to get some new ones but I’ve heard a few people say it doesn’t matter on these…

What’s the conventional wisdom on reusing the 22RE head bolts? I know there are different opinions on the matter. I was going to get some new ones but I’ve heard a few people say it doesn’t matter on these…
I would get new. They still are stretch bolts and shouldn't be reused IMO

I don't think the 22re bolts are torque to yields. I've never replaced them. The factory service manual doesn't mention replacing them. It doesn't even show checking them for stretch like the 1fz manual does.
maybe it was the ifz i was thinking of, good info.

Swapped suspension on my sister's 5th gen. Trucks got almost 200k on it and she's had it since new.
Got rid of XREAS in the process. I need a lift!

PXL_20230125_171617859.jpg

PXL_20230125_171613133.MP.jpg

PXL_20230125_171607573.jpg

Hello All trying to install a X2 27f Agm battery the stock alternator voltage is below recommended for Agm battery. Has anyone added a fuse/diode upgrade to the ALT-S? And did that have any effect on the life of the alternator? Any info would be helpful

Hello All trying to install a X2 27f Agm battery the stock alternator voltage is below recommended for Agm battery. Has anyone added a fuse/diode upgrade to the ALT-S? And did that have any effect on the life of the alternator? Any info would be helpful
You'd be better served running a standard battery and leaving the alternator alone. Adding complexity to the charging system to try and use a trendy battery is just asking for trouble.

You'd be better served running a standard battery and leaving the alternator alone. Adding complexity to the charging system to try and use a trendy battery is just asking for trouble.
Even when trying to run accessories? ie12v fridge?
What’s the recommendation when running accessories for a long period of time…dual battery setup is too expansive

I use one or two 100-watt solar panels to power mt 63 qt ARB fridge and I've never had a problem.

How are you measuring alternator voltage? I'm surprised the 100 alternator isn't giving 13.8v+ at driving RPM.

Last edited:
I have no experience with these but I’m sure something for the 100 is made as well.

This thread talks about building one for a 100

a dc to dc charger solves this issue if you’re using the agm as the second battery.

You can do a dual battery setup more cheaply if you get a battery box and just tie it down in the back of the truck—then you avoid the need for mounting brackets and messing with your alternator.

Otherwise, don’t go AGM

Last edited:
a dc to dc charger solves this issue if you’re using the agm as the second battery.

You can do a dual battery setup more cheaply if you get a battery box and just tie it down in the back of the truck—then you avoid the need for mounting brackets and messing with your alternator.

Otherwise, don’t go AGM
Thank you @OTRAMM @captainva @NearJetties

Dropped the front diff on the 4Runner today to get the oil pan out. Removed all oil pan bolts. I can’t believe how hard this thing is to remove. I took a break and took the water pump off. But whoever put this oil pan on wanted to be the last person to ever do it. Possible it’s never been dropped before I suppose. I came in for the day and will work on getting it off more tomorrow. I have razor-bladed around where I can. Ain’t budging! I might look for a thin putty knife to try and get more of the silicone or fipg off. Trying not to damage it though.

On a 2F you can setup a bottle jack in between the frame rail and the side of the oil pan and just turn it a bit at a time and eventually the pan will pop off. Wait 20 minutes between turns. Might work on a 22RE pan.

On a 2F you can setup a bottle jack in between the frame rail and the side of the oil pan and just turn it a bit at a time and eventually the pan will pop off. Might work on a 22RE pan.
The 22re has a couple placement studs that would prevent that. so there are a series of bolts and a couple nuts that hold it on. I think if I just take the timing cover off first I will have more room to get a scraper in there. I'll try that tomorrow. I need to pull the crank pulley and remove a few more bolts and I should almost be at the "clean everything" and reassemble phase. I'll be pleased if I can get the pan off tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom