Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, every inch of the exterior and interior except for the dash. Yes it dries shiny but hard. Fluid Film has a wet shiny look to it, but it never dries and transfers to your skin or clothes.

If you are looking for immediate hardness, yes. That said, I let Fluid Film sit and then rub it off. It’s mostly dry in a day or two.

True, but the key word is mostly, it will still transfer to your hands and then your hands smell like FF. I will be taking mine to meals a lot, car shows, places I don’t want FF on my clothes or hands. It depends on your intended use. Mine is a garage queen and I will use a detailer spray to keep it clean. That wouldn’t work with FF.
I wonder how it’ll hold up to detail spray or even washing it. I would think it’d be fine. I’ll be using my 40 the same way. The penetrol took a good 24hrs to set for me. It has been cold here in the 40-50 range.

Best rust prevention, but you can`t get it in the USA or Canada, Australia.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-04 um 14.52.09.jpeg

Info about Mike Sander:
"Hitchhiked to England in 1966, earned his pocket money busking.Played at many Flea-Markets and in the renowned Marquee-Club in London.
Returned with an MG TA (Cost £65) , because TCs were a bit more expensive.Studied at the Car Body (Wagenbau) school in Hamburg,
graduating in 1968.Worked as a Constructor for Aircraft, Ships, Hydraulics and Tanks.
In 1973 left the drawing board and joined his fathers body making business.
In 1975 he invented and created MIKE SANDER'S KORROSIONSSCHUTZFETT (Rust Prevention Grease)
.In America he completely rebuilt (recreated)a Mercedes 540 K Special Roadster.
1990 he moved into new working premises and house in Horst (near Hamburg).At last enough space for his 15 car (!) collection..."

Last edited:
Alright @wngrog, I could use your guidance. I'm working on a 60, but I stumbled on this thread and figured my questions should go here. I'm already using FF on the underside and BLO on some spots here and there. I hadn't thought of giving the whole body a rub-down with the BLO though. That's what you're doing with your rigs, correct?

My major question is this rust forming in my rear fender...
IMG_20200331_162305.jpg

It doesn't seem to be all the way through into the quarter panel yet. Please advise. Thanks!

On a fully painted truck I don’t rub fluid film on it. Just the trucks I have with heavy heavy weathering where polish is impossible.

My 60 has same rust. The only way to fix that is replacements. That said, I would pull the rear panels out inside. Clean all the way to the bottom. Plug all the holes and places it’s getting In the fender. Fuel fill gasket is always a biggie.

clean. Wash. Dry. Then plug that hole somehow until you want to spend money on replacements. JB weld works good.

Fill inside of the fender up with a ton of fluid film.

I did my deep rust like @mtbrown619 with axle grease and a toothbrush.

I wish the 60 folks weren't so out of cyber reach from the 40 folks, thanks for posting here.
Haha, this is my first comment in the 40 section, so the warm welcome is appreciated. I've been lucky enough to have a couple 60s and lately I've been thinking a 40 might have to find its way into my garage in the not-so-distant future.

On a fully painted truck I don’t rub fluid film on it. Just the trucks I have with heavy heavy weathering where polish is impossible.

My 60 has same rust. The only way to fix that is replacements. That said, I would pull the rear panels out inside. Clean all the way to the bottom. Plug all the holes and places it’s getting In the fender. Fuel fill gasket is always a biggie.

clean. Wash. Dry. Then plug that hole somehow until you want to spend money on replacements. JB weld works good.

Fill inside of the fender up with a ton of fluid film.
Heard. I was meaning a coat of BLO rubbed on the body, not FF. Mine is a NM lifer (now in CO) so she's well faded and has some minor rock chips here and there that are oxidizing. I assumed there wasn't much recourse for that panel except keep it at bay as best as I can until it needs to be replaced. As far as cleaning down in the bottom, do you have any tried and true technique for that? I vacuumed out some water from it several months ago, so my guess is that it's coming through the D pillar vent.

Heard. I was meaning a coat of BLO rubbed on the body, not FF. Mine is a NM lifer (now in CO) so she's well faded and has some minor rock chips here and there that are oxidizing. I assumed there wasn't much recourse for that panel except keep it at bay as best as I can until it needs to be replaced. As far as cleaning down in the bottom, do you have any tried and true technique for that? I vacuumed out some water from it several months ago, so my guess is that it's coming through the D pillar vent.

I did mine with a shop vac and compressed air

Alright @wngrog, I could use your guidance. I'm working on a 60, but I stumbled on this thread and figured my questions should go here. I'm already using FF on the underside and BLO on some spots here and there. I hadn't thought of giving the whole body a rub-down with the BLO though. That's what you're doing with your rigs, correct?

My major question is this rust forming in my rear fender...
View attachment 2260435

It doesn't seem to be all the way through into the quarter panel yet. Please advise. Thanks!

Grease it ...for example ....use your grease gun.
If no more air and moisture can reach the sheet metal, it can no longer rust.
Rust needs to develop 2 things: Humidity and air.

The Titanic is`nt rusted as far as your LC... because 1 thing is missing under water... air!

.. since April,14 .1912 her underwater seabed.. less rust than.....

Grease it ...for example ....use your grease gun.
If no more air and moisture can reach the sheet metal, it can no longer rust.
Rust needs to develop 2 things: Humidity and air.

The Titanic is`nt rusted as far as your LC... because 1 thing is missing under water... air!

.. since April,14 .1912 her underwater seabed.. less rust than.....
Got it. I'll just store my 60 underwater then! :flipoff2:

Gave it a bath and put a coat of penetrol over most of the body today. Of course I forgot to wear gloves. Wear gloves, penetrol doesn’t come off easily. The side I previously coated with penetrol beaded up the water quite well actually and didn’t come off with car wash soap.
F1D8A382-6DFA-4E91-954B-F2A79D1CFBA5.jpeg
4202BAC5-80B9-4A46-8CEE-DC6C678420C2.jpeg
49836AD2-01EF-4881-8A4C-7E628CBDC85D.jpeg
E6174CD9-72EA-465E-8C1E-9CFE45C7CC37.jpeg

This is were I had trouble with penetrol. Around emblems, the tie downs on the rear gates and just small areas in general. Gonna take these off, maybe put some black paint back it and I’ll get the penetrol down on the paint. @7schulz is this where the cheesecloth worked better or did you use it more so it didn’t streak?
E61877F6-6E3B-4A0B-92F7-8B0E1D5C3FE8.jpeg
FA6455C6-98D4-42AA-B9E1-06D93A321DE2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom