Preparing the front suspension for a winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbbr

SILVER Star
Threads
This is my LC100. As you can see, it has plenty of rake. A little bit too much IMO, but a rear bumper will tame that a bit and is included in the 1 tear plan. It rides great, but I am planning on an 12K winch/bumper in the next few weeks. The PO installed 2860 OME springs in the rear, but nothing in the front although I think that he adjusted the torsion bars a little.

The current tires are 265/75/16's, and FWIW, I would like to step up to a 285 soon too. At some point, I'm going to install a full lift kit, but that is longer term as I really don't want to go much higher and everything under it is in great shape, so my immediate thought is new HD torsion bars. So the question is what would be best to balance the lift in the rear and deal with the extra weight of a 12K winch/bumper?

And just for reference - this is how it currently sits -

20231231_073507.jpg

There isn't really a "lift kit" for these. It's just rear springs and front torsion bars. The weight of the winch is pretty minimal, you could probably get away with re-indexing your current torsion bars, but if adding a bumper too all you need is the beefier set of bars from IronMan 4x4 or Old Man Emu.

Last edited:
At least wait until you install the bumper and winch and see if you can adjust torsion bars back to the same height it is at now. See how it drives then go from there. My though would be shock upgrade to handle the extra weight and keep body roll/nosedive to a minimum. I have Robinson IMS and they are comfy.

If you want to use stock bars, you'll probably want to re-index your torsion bars, maybe 2 notches, then fine-tune the ride height as you add weight. That's what I did at first with my stock Tbars for my Warn 9K winch and Arb bumber(combined over 200 lbs).

I have since upbraded to Ironman T Bars, and now I am very happy with my ride height and suspension compliance

Thanks, guys - you will have to forgive my ignorance as I come from eth land of leaf springs & coilovers. Since the rear is already around 2" higher because of the OME springs, part of what I want to do is lift the front to match. I see a lot of "kits" online with shocks/springs/torsion bars, but I won't be rock crawling (intentionally) in this LC, so I'm not sure that I need those.

In reading above, a set of these with the OEM shocks would work as a start? I am looking at the Warn 12K and an ARB, so that would be at least 200 extra lbs and that's what I want to offset. And assuming that I use them and even up the rake a bit, should I also do a diff drop at the same time?

Thanks, guys - you will have to forgive my ignorance as I come from eth land of leaf springs & coilovers. Since the rear is already around 2" higher because of the OME springs, part of what I want to do is lift the front to match. I see a lot of "kits" online with shocks/springs/torsion bars, but I won't be rock crawling (intentionally) in this LC, so I'm not sure that I need those.

In reading above, a set of these with the OEM shocks would work as a start? I am looking at the Warn 12K and an ARB, so that would be at least 200 extra lbs and that's what I want to offset. And assuming that I use them and even up the rake a bit, should I also do a diff drop at the same time?
You could need the heavier duty torsion bars but you may be able to get away with reindexing the oem bars or seeing if there is enough adjustment available as is. The torsion bars can be adjusted really easily and then you can measure from the center of the hub to the fender to check height. Im around 21" in the front and it rides nicely. Read up about "droop" if you are not aware and make sure to keep it around 50-60mm to maintain ride comfort.

You almost certainly do not need new torsion bars for your setup. You almost certainly do need to reindex them to get enough adjustment. IIRC, there is a great thread in the FAQ section about doing that. I've been running a 12k winch and steel bumper for almost tow years with the stock TBs, and it rides great on and off road. If you start adding a battery, air compressor and other goodies you may find the limit of the factory bars.

Yep, but you could wait and see if you actually need it. Had I not added big heavy sliders, I probably wouldn't have upgraded my bars. Some will add upgrading shocks but the stock shocks are very very good for the price. I've been very happy with them and have felt no reason to spend more money "upgrading" shocks. The much stiffer walls on my tires did more to change my ride than anything else I've done. I just got used to a slightly stiffer ride, it's not jarring though, feels fine.

Sliders are on the short list too and those will likely be 2X4 steel like I have done on my other trucks. Simple, but heavy. And a dual battery system is on the longer list. And I'm almost positive that he PO already indexed the bars once.

I think that I will start with the bumper and index the bars to see if that will work. Can't hurt. At least for a while until I add more weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom