Suspension noise identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mattyokan

Expert at Bad Financial Decisions
GOLD Star
Threads
This one is a long shot and I'm sorry to turn to the tech forums as a "please help me diagnose something I have no idea about", but it's kind of driving me nuts. I have an '06 with just under 201K miles on it. It has AHC. Normally, it rides great, and no complaints about ride quality. But, when going over bumps in the road, there's sometimes a creaking/squeaking sound. I tried my best to capture the noise in this video:

I am taking it into my trusted local Toyota shop, but when I first noticed the issue in January they were already booked out until early March. I have one 500 mile trip I need to take next week before then, so I'm hoping things should be fine.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should check for? My first thought was bushings, but unsure which in particular it could be. I know very little about the design of the AHC suspension and what to check for that could be causing this noise, any pointers on what to check would be appreciated. It's most noticeable when going over speed bumps, but recently I've been hearing it around town more (bad San Francisco roads, yikes).

Last edited:
If it's coming from the front of the vehicle, a likely culprit is the control arm bushings, not uncommon on cruisers and 4runners. If that is indeed the issue, you should be able to defer until after your trip. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom