Buying a used LC100 - oil leak around front suspension area thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I am looking to get back an LC100, and have found one to buy that interests me. The issue I see, is on one of the photos of the underbody the suspension arm has what looks like oil leaking.

Any thoughts what could be the cause of this?
- Brake fluid leaking?
- Front seal cover need replacing?
- CV boot punctured and leaking stuff out?
- power steering fluid leaking?

Thanks

image000000.jpg

Looks like old grease from a leaking CV axle. Can’t tell from the pic if the axle is leaking now or not.

I would guess CV boot as well. I think you can even see the boot with some greenish speckles of grease. Check both the inboard and outboard boot on the CVs for rips/tears/holes.

aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3J1bS5paDhtdWQuY29tL2F0dGFjaG1lbnRzL2ltYWdlMDAwMDAwLWpwZy4zNTQxNzY4Lw~~.png

My guess as well. needs to come from the bottom to reach the area pointed to in red. If it's broke I think it's a $600-700 OEM part or if not broke it needs a reboot.

CV.JPG

I checked the VIN on Toyota for service history and 80K miles ago, the Toyota service techs told the prior owner that they needed to replace the CV axles as the boots were leaking. But it looks like the owner did not replace it as there were two service reports at different mileage dates with the same warning, so I think you guys are onto something.

Am seeing the car later today to see if the prior owner ever replaced it…

I checked the VIN on Toyota for service history and 80K miles ago, the Toyota service techs told the prior owner that they needed to replace the CV axles as the boots were leaking. But it looks like the owner did not replace it as there were two service reports at different mileage dates with the same warning, so I think you guys are onto something.

Am seeing the car later today to see if the prior owner ever replaced it…
Where in TX are you? LMK if you need an experienced set of eyes to help if its not far away.

Sometimes the boot will get a pinhole and leak/spray grease like that. I repaired one like that with a product called The Right Stuff after doing some research. Almost 4 years ago and still holding. Here's the thread where I documented:

Hi all,

I ended up buying the truck (seller was in Cali) as the rust condition underneathe and on the body looked clean.

I took it to a mechanic who knew the LCs and they analyzed it and the picture above was indeed a leaking CV boot, the mechanic suggested I just buy a new CV axle instead of repairing just the boots as the thing is over 160k, he mention the diff seals should be fine. He also mention the Wheel Bearings were aging and should be replaced for a smoother ride, and also get a fresh set of Shocks on front and rear while at it repairing the CVs, as they are starting to age at 160k.

Other items he suggested repair include:
Doing a timing belt change and the bells and whistles around it.

Suggested tires are aging so get some KO2s if I wanted some good snow or mild offroad capability.

Tire pressure sensor needs replacement as the battery died.

Brake rotors need replacing as worn.

Window wipers are cracking need new ones.

Suggested I change all fluids again like diff and transfer case and brake, steer fluids.

Am driving the truck back from Cali to Texas and am now in El Paso area, been a smooth ride so far no issues.

IMG_5099.jpeg

IMG_5102.jpeg

Thanks for update, safe travels

That's a nice one! Worn CV's typically present with a vibration (commonly around 45-55mph), you may be ok with grease and replacement of boots. Baseline of fluids is always wise, read up on the forum regarding proper transmission fluid level. Timing belt should have been done around 100k, but no surprise if the boots weren't addressed this was probably skipped too. Replace your heater T's as well (easy but requires finesse, read up on it first). Pick up a can of MAF cleaner and spray out the MAF when you replace your air filter. Check spark plugs/coils, make sure they haven't loosened. Enjoy your Cruiser!

Hi all,

I ended up buying the truck (seller was in Cali) as the rust condition underneathe and on the body looked clean.

I took it to a mechanic who knew the LCs and they analyzed it and the picture above was indeed a leaking CV boot, the mechanic suggested I just buy a new CV axle instead of repairing just the boots as the thing is over 160k, he mention the diff seals should be fine. He also mention the Wheel Bearings were aging and should be replaced for a smoother ride, and also get a fresh set of Shocks on front and rear while at it repairing the CVs, as they are starting to age at 160k.

Other items he suggested repair include:
Doing a timing belt change and the bells and whistles around it.

Suggested tires are aging so get some KO2s if I wanted some good snow or mild offroad capability.

Tire pressure sensor needs replacement as the battery died.

Brake rotors need replacing as worn.

Window wipers are cracking need new ones.

Suggested I change all fluids again like diff and transfer case and brake, steer fluids.

Am driving the truck back from Cali to Texas and am now in El Paso area, been a smooth ride so far no issues.

View attachment 3543995

View attachment 3543996
Don't use that mechanic:
  1. FDS (AKA CV) boots, likely just needs re-clamp, unless boot torn. Which by amount of grease I see, is just a weep from lose clamp. If replacing FDS, replace the side diff seals, is best practice. Replace with only OEM FDS.
  2. This is a AHC system, based on AHC front height sensor in pictures. So is a 06-07 LC. So these are not shocks. They're hydraulic rams (AKA shocks), only need replacing if leaking to point of dripping on ground.
  3. To say wheel bearings worn-out need replaced and will give smoother. Can't be determined without removing bearings and inspecting them. They also have little to do with smoother ride feel. To state loose wheel bearings and need repacking, can be inspected for, with wheels on.

Here's what "most likely", I do as a baseline on this one:
  1. Change all 55 qts of fluid. Use only Toyota brake fluid, Toyota coolant and Toyota AHC fluid. Toyota WS ATF or Mobil MV full syn ATF. Mobil 1 ATF in steering. Others lubes I like Mobil 1.
  2. WASHER RADIATOR FINS.
  3. Replace radiator cap and thermostat, if needed.
  4. Repack wheel bearings.
  5. Re-clamp, inner boots small clamp. If no tears in boot and just weeping from between boot and axle.
  6. Flush power steering with Mobil one ATF. Clean reservoir if needed.
  7. Replace any cracked vacuum lines.
  8. Replace spark plugs.
  9. Turn rotors or replace if under minimum. Replace brake pads, shims, boots, fitting kit wear indicator, etc as needed.
  10. Replace all 5 AHC bleeder caps and all 4 brake bleeders caps. That are missing or damaged.
  11. Inspect brake master. Flush and bleed system. With Toyota brake fluid only!
  12. All pullies, belts, tensioners, fan bracket, fan clutch at front of engine. Replace as/if needed.
  13. Flush and adjust AHC.

Look at the first section, at alerts:

You've a VVT engine, which needs a special mod. Currently, only I do.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Will take the above into consideration when working on my LC100 :)

Did not know about the SAIS filter so will take a look into it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom