Power Steering Relocation Bracket and Dual OBA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Having done a power steering relocation mod recently for a yet to be completed twinz project, thought this would be useful for others on how to create a simple and effective relocation bracket. I know others have needed to relocate the PS for other reasons, including fitting dual batts.

Here's the relocation position. This is probably as simple as it gets, as there's no need for any re-plumbing or cracking open the PS circuit for that matter. Plumbing elbows and clearance fits like a glove in this position while also maintaining rubber isolation. Using an unused mounting ear off the radiator.

1611086302991.png

Remove PS tripod bracket from fender and PS resevoir.

Two major fab steps. One inner fender modification.
1) Modify bracket by cutting it in half, preserving this half of the bracket with one foot and the reservoir holder upright

1611085934931.png

2) Create a band clamp with a mounting ear and hole large enough for an M8 bolt. I used a 4" band clamp I had around in the garage, but it was longer than I needed so possibly a 3" one could work? Best with a 4" as it's easy enough to cut off excess. Bend and fold a mounting ear into the band. Though want to mock and bend once so as not to fatigue break the strap. It should fold easily in a vice or pliers.

1611086236433.png

3) Use aluminum stock to make a bracket extension from existing hole to partial tripod bracket. Or drill and tap hole directly in fender which should work. I mounted to flat stock that also integrates to the rest of my project.

1611086637136.png

Relocating for these twins as a single pump is too slow for 35s.

1611093674401.png

I did think about a tank as a way to get more performance from a single compressor, but a smaller one wouldn't help much with performance given the volume needed for 35s. I threw some numbers together and it would only be about a 20% speed increase for the first tire. Maybe less with each subsequent. It would be nice for an air blow nozzle, to dust the hatch after some runs!

I actually bought a twin compressor pack setup back in the day to split with my brother. He never installed his so I decided on just installing the matching pair. Should have plenty of airflow, essentially doubling the output, or 100% faster. And enough volume to run that air nozzle. Poor mans Arb Twin if you will. ;)

Last edited:
How slow is it to fill a 35? Say 15-35 psi. Viair 400c? Just wondering as I have a single 400c currently and want to go to 35’s in the near future.

As an ARB reference point: 2 weeks ago I used my arb twin + quad air hose (all 4 tires at the same time), and I was increasing 3psi/minute. 20 psi to 38 (not sure if that band changed as it got closer to the mid 30s).

Last edited:
How slow is it to fill a 35? Say 15-35 psi. Viair 400c? Just wondering as I have a single 400c currently and want to go to 35’s in the near future.

I haven't timed it but I can once I get them up and running again. Feels like about 5 minutes per tire as I usually go from 15-38 or 44 PSI for towing. Multiply that by 4, and that's longer than I prefer. The 35s feel like they take twice as long as the 33s I had.

Your 400C is the right choice as it's the faster pump at tire pressures, around 30% or so. I have the 444C dual pack which are functionally about 2x 450C, meant for air tanks with higher pressure capability and 100% duty cycle. I originally planed for a tank but decided to go pump only when it worked well with 33s. If I were to choose pumps again, I would spec dual 400Cs as they faster for tire duty and with more compact dimensions.

I love this pipe clamp idea. Very useful.
What did you do with your DRL resistor?

This is not the easy way to do it, but got the twinz up and running electrically. Always satisfying to hear things come to life.

Still need to run a line to the back so I can have a port at the rear of the car. Tied together with the black rectangular manifold at the top which also hosts a 200PSI safety valve and 150 PSI pressure switch.

1611559248083.png

Last edited:
Anyone have suggestions on where they mounted their rear air port?

I haven't installed it yet, but I have wits end brackets with both an air port and an Anderson plug that I will use (front is the sb350 for jump starting and rear is sb50 for trailer battery charging).

Excited about this mod. Both pumps in place. Almost as good, I have a second rear air coupler port in place at the tailgate so I no longer need to open the hood to air up. Used a brass quick connect I had lying around...do I sweat the details and get a matching ARB or at least a silver one? Hrmm..

Found a solid place for the quick connect that hides in plain view, without the need to drill any holes.
1611729503687.png

Here's what the business end looks like. Made a bracket out of 1.5" aluminum angle, bolted to the existing tailgate hinge bolt.
1611729687922.png

Additional detail of the simple bracket
1611729717566.png

Last edited:
Awesome! Can you link the hose kit you used? Also, any pics of how you ran the hose under the rig?

I did a custom install of an ARB Single when I bought my truck, which is mounted where yours are, in the front passenger corner. I recently decided to buy an ARB Twin and mounted it on the Slee bracket. I have no need to remove the single or to use that space for something else. As such, I'm seriously considering running air lines to couple the two compressors into one quick connect fitting for more combined inflation. It seems like if it works for you it should work for me. Am I overlooking anything?

Awesome! Can you link the hose kit you used? Also, any pics of how you ran the hose under the rig?

I used this kit, and this right angle elbow, but I'll reserve final comment to see how it performs over time. The line was a PITA to run, but I went down the tranny tunnel on the passenger side taking care to be as far away from the hot stuff as possible. Then along the outside of the frame rail above the AHC bits. Then over the spare tire/LRA tank to the rear hatch.

Note on running the line under the tailgate, don't try to go over the hinge as there's no clearance. Also try to run the line in a way that parallels the bottom edge of the tailgate for a segment to minimize stress risers and allow as much material to flex as possible with opening/closing. Mirroring the stock electrical cable geometry to the tailgate is a good way to ensure durability.

I did a custom install of an ARB Single when I bought my truck, which is mounted where yours are, in the front passenger corner. I recently decided to buy an ARB Twin and mounted it on the Slee bracket. I have no need to remove the single or to use that space for something else. As such, I'm seriously considering running air lines to couple the two compressors into one quick connect fitting for more combined inflation. It seems like if it works for you it should work for me. Am I overlooking anything?

Homebrew ARB Tripple?! Shouldn't be a problem so long as they cutoff at pressures that are compatible with each pump and that your electrical and relays can handle powering them simultaneously. The Viairs have a check valve to help them start against pressure. Not sure if the Arbs have this and may be a good addition to each pump with the manifold.

Last edited:
The Viairs have a check valve to help them start against pressure
I added an inline check valve to my ARB twin at the output, before the line which runs back to the rear tank. I didn't see anywhere on the small manifold between the two pumps on the ARB twin that there was a check valve, but I didn't look too hard either.

Got her done.

Testing airing up a 35x12.5R20 tire from 18-40 PSI
- Single pump 3:45
- Dual pump 1:55

Happy with the results as it should take less than 10 minutes again to fill the set of 4.

The extra plumbing for the manifold and airline to the rear seem to act a bit as a reservoir, letting the pumps accumulate about 5 seconds of work. Great as when I stop filling from the air chuck to check pressures, I'm never loosing ground. Also works better with more air volume to support a blow nozzle. The rear hatch gets incredibly dusty after sandy runs and it's nice to blow all that stuff off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom