Power steering kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys ,looking for power steering conversion kit for my 71 fj40.
Was thinking little truck kit or else.
Mounting 33 at the moment but might go bigger in future.
Any websites or sellers ?
Based in W.A.
Autotecnica steering column fitted.
Thanks

I robbed most of my ps stuff from a bj60 (tilt column, box, links) and used a Saginaw pump.

S

FJ60 power steering box, Saginaw pump, Ididit steering column. Works perfectly!

Steering 3.JPG
Steering 4.JPG

Thanks for the tips guys,did you install yourselves ,seems quote straight forward.sjust need to get the box centered before installing .only thing I'm not sure is how to figure out positioning on frame.

Thanks for the tips guys,did you install yourselves ,seems quote straight forward.sjust need to get the box centered before installing .only thing I'm not sure is how to figure out positioning on frame.

Iron pig off-road has a template on their site. You have to watch clearance on the radiator and shock tower. There are a lot of threads about that. The steering linkage will need to be modified as well to accept a 60 TRE at the pitman.

Thanks for the info ,got this fj60 steering box for 80$. Now I am onto the pump.
Is it a specific Saginaw pump model ?
Also noticed that someone mounts the box straight to frame like David above and some videos show using a bracket ?
Pros and cons ?
Cheers

20191022_183646.jpg

The frame placement was made courtesy of IPOR and their free template. As for the steering link I contacted Rare Parts. They made one for me 33 1/4' long with a 17mm LH end and a 23mm RH end. Grand total was $123.60 shipped.

Thanks guys ,that's a lot clearer now.
Even found pdf with instructions on IPOR site.
Not a big fan of cutting out shockies arm but I guess it's how has to be?...
Also couldn't find the template to print I guess?
Any links?
Thanks heaps

Attachments

• FJ40PowerSteeringKitInstallationInstructions.pdf
    872.9 KB · Views: 138
There are many ways to approach this project. Use the search function, then go to advance search, and search the 40 section only. Search for fj60 steering and also search scout steering too. Scout power steering is a similar setup. Also look in the FAQ section at the top of this FJ40-Fj55 section. You'll find a lot of info in there too. I've done a couple scout setups on each of my 40's. Each are different, The 1st one I used the ford shock tower and welded scab plates on the inside and outside of the frame. The 2nd I used the stk shock tower but didn't want to grind a bunch of material off of it like most folks do. I only welded a scab plate on the inside of the frame which created other issues because the box is more in board on the frame, which I had to work thru successfully. I also didn't want to cut up my new stk OEM fenders to clearance for the steering box, so I approached that issue differently too.

Last edited:
Since you are down under, you may have easy access to a Toyota pump. As I recall, RHD 40's had the powersteering pump on the RHD side of the engine. All the US trucks had it on the LH side from late 79 on up. You don't say what engine you are running. I added power steering to my 1F powered 1973 40. The early engines did not have anywhere to mount a pump on the LHD side, but there is 3 holes in my head on the RH side where the big engine hook is near the thermostat. Originally on mine that held the emmissions smog pump. Other parts of the world had pumps and brackets that bolt there, but in the US, the 3F powered FJ62 and FJ80 were the only ones to have a power steering pump that mounts there. Bracket lines up perfectly to the bolts. I also swapped out the main engine pulley for one off an FJ60 and put on a 2F waterpump with the double wide pulley grooves and clutch fan. You may be able to find the right pulley for the waterpump if you are still running the 1F pump and steel fan. I know I saw a place once that was selling a machined aluminum one for that purpose. Don't know if you have extra grooves on your pulleys.

If you have the 2F and the alternator is in that position, as least in the US it is, you could move down to the lower left position like a 1F and put the pump there. Should have no pulley groove issues then.

That's mint

little noisy before valve adjustment. You can also here a bit of noise from pump because it went dry for a second due to filling the cooler. No sound now.

New question arises...what would be the best placement for dual batteries after ps conversion?

15719946618243974070224149194447.jpg

15719946929042671244690545687699.jpg

15719947192875142520829891527285.jpg

Forgot to mention ,under seats will be taken for dual tank.matbe behind ach headlight?
Or what about 1 in the bonnet an other between the seats underneath armrests?

I think you need a ground block or even a fuse block. At least with the ground block you’ll know when a ground is loose.
69154C30-9264-416B-9492-425AD009530B.jpeg
8DC74AAD-A405-431C-BE1A-E0E601BF3A68.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom