Power steering fluids and viscosity indices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The original question seems to be about ATF vs hydraulic fluid. Why? I don't believe any manufacturer specs hydraulic fluid for automobile steering systems.

As I understand it, PSF and ATF are very similar, both are basically hydraulic fluid with some added substances for various desired behaviors, such as resistance to foaming. I have always understood them to be essentially interchangeable, but I use PSF because I've heard that ATF has more additives that aren't needed and might in fact contribute to hardening or gumming of the seals over a long lifetime of use.

The original question seems to be about ATF vs hydraulic fluid. Why? I don't believe any manufacturer specs hydraulic fluid for automobile steering systems.

As I understand it, PSF and ATF are very similar, both are basically hydraulic fluid with some added substances for various desired behaviors, such as resistance to foaming. I have always understood them to be essentially interchangeable, but I use PSF because I've heard that ATF has more additives that aren't needed and might in fact contribute to hardening or gumming of the seals over a long lifetime of use.
Nobody likes a gummed seal. That will put a dent in your day.

I am trying to decide if perfectly functioning power steering that weeps a little is worth yanking out to fix the leak? Seems like overkill. It never even drips on floor, it just just gets absorbed into the micro climate that my transmission is.

I am trying to decide if perfectly functioning power steering that weeps a little is worth yanking out to fix the leak?
My thought would be to have the seal kit on hand for both the pump and box, and all the hoses, because it's warning you. I wouldn't want to tear into it until it is annoying or I was in there for something else. I'd probably break down and do it sooner than later though, because my truck spends a lot of time in the wild and I want relatively fresh hoses in there. A slight leak won't keep you from getting home, but it's telling you it's time to do some maintenance, and a blown hose will ruin a nice wheeling day.

My thought would be to have the seal kit on hand for both the pump and box, and all the hoses, because it's warning you. I wouldn't want to tear into it until it is annoying or I was in there for something else. I'd probably break down and do it sooner than later though, because my truck spends a lot of time in the wild and I want relatively fresh hoses in there. A slight leak won't keep you from getting home, but it's telling you it's time to do some maintenance, and a blown hose will ruin a nice wheeling day.
Well, I am removing both the inner and outer fender off on that side and I am also putting the big boy wrench to work while fixing the crank seal leak and the oil pump gasket. Oh, and I am reinstalling the AC system. I think the truck will be down for 6 work days, but I could reserve the right to be lazy and make it 8 work days. Then I will be done. Everything else will just be maintenance.

I am also putting the big boy wrench to work while fixing the crank seal leak and the oil pump gasket.
Well then you'll probably break the (probably very brittle) PS return line while you're monkeying around in there and your decision will be made for you!

I look at this problem the same way the U.S. military does when they field equipment in locations where replacement parts, and service for that equipment is slim to none. From a logistics standpoint it's a lot easier to carry just one fluid that will do double duty while off road.

My 80 is not an auto gearbox version so i don't keep any Toyota-style ATF around. I use Nulon power steering fluid but there are so many different brands of the stuff that there could be 10+ products on the shelf of any typical mid to large-range auto parts store that are fine to use.

Another thing is that I don't see any real focus put on climate conditions when picking steering fluid. It's steering fluid - it works - is the general thinking.

Interesting. My ps pump has started groaning a little bit and before I go swapping in a new pump I’m going to try some PSF in it and see if that does the trick. If it doesn’t then I’ll swap in a new pump and run ATF from the get go.

Interesting. My ps pump has started groaning a little bit and before I go swapping in a new pump I’m going to try some PSF in it and see if that does the trick. If it doesn’t then I’ll swap in a new pump and run ATF from the get go.
Is your pump original? Mine groaned on the trail with the PSF that someone had put in the past. I replaced the pump with all the hoses and Dex/Merc fluid. She operates quietly now. Using the same fluid in as many applications as possible reduces the number of bottles we need to pack with us out in the boonies.

I said this last week and I’ll say it again today; Mud needs a 12 step program called Over Thinkers Anonymous.

Last edited:
I said this last week and I’ll say it again today; Mud needs a 12 step program called Over Thinkers Anonymous.

My name is Red Merle and I have an overthinking problem when it comes to my car. They say it's not a problem until it starts effecting your daily life and your relationships and I think it's safe to say I have crossed that threshold. Can I still be salvaged or am I too far gone? ;)

I over think many issues myself. But, there is no need to question the PS fluid spec’d unless there is a lagit problem that could not be solved by replacing ancient parts.

And for the record, pumps do not create pressure, restrictions do.

I ended up doing nothing with mine and that seems to be working out so far. It doesn't seem like it was leaking after all, it was just residual trans fluid that either I leaked out when I took some stuff apart or the guy that bypassed the power steering cooler did when he installed the new line. I don't plan on doing anything now until I see evidence of real problem.

As part of my recovery, I am trying to get a handle on my "mission creep" tendencies where I will diagnose a small issue and decide to yank and replace the entire system as a remedy. That does work and it's good for peace of mind, but it's also a great way to breeze through a significant number of American dollars. :hillbilly:

DTE 24 for years in several vehicles and boats and never looked back. No whining, groans, or foaming, just solid performance without issues.
You should bottle up little 22 oz bottles of it with a funnel and call it LandCruiserPhil powersteeringmagic. And fleece people for it

I ended up doing nothing with mine and that seems to be working out so far. It doesn't seem like it was leaking after all, it was just residual trans fluid that either I leaked out when I took some stuff apart or the guy that bypassed the power steering cooler did when he installed the new line. I don't plan on doing anything now until I see evidence of real problem.

As part of my recovery, I am trying to get a handle on my "mission creep" tendencies where I will diagnose a small issue and decide to yank and replace the entire system as a remedy. That does work and it's good for peace of mind, but it's also a great way to breeze through a significant number of American dollars. :hillbilly:
Your approach is one I subscribe to on an older vehicle that I take to places far from AAA access. I call this approach restoration, quite a novel concept.

Your approach is one I subscribe to on an older vehicle that I take to places far from AAA access. I call this approach restoration, quite a novel concept.
It's pretty much a restoration at this point. It's only a matter of time before I want to take the body off and just go for it.

Last edited:
Is your pump original? Mine groaned on the trail with the PSF that someone had put in the past. I replaced the pump with all the hoses and Dex/Merc fluid. She operates quietly now. Using the same fluid in as many applications as possible reduces the number of bottles we need to pack with us out in the boonies.

Well I guess the first step would be to admit that over think things on my land cruiser. My name is Eric and I’m an over thinker .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom