Power steering fluids and viscosity indices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As part of my recovery, I am trying to get a handle on my "mission creep" tendencies where I will diagnose a small issue and decide to yank and replace the entire system as a remedy. That does work and it's good for peace of mind, but it's also a great way to breeze through a significant number of American dollars. :hillbilly:

I can help you with your treatment. Just send me a significant number of American dollars each week, we'll have your mission creep cured in no time :idea: :hillbilly:

Flushed out the old ATF from my PS lines and now it’s quiet as can be. I over thought and worried about way more than I needed to. Cost me 8.49 for the ATF and 20 minutes of my time.

Ok, I blew a PS hose in the middle of nowhere 4 years ago. Sent a guy on the road to the nearest village and he brought back a red fluid he called hidraulina (today I know this is Peruvian for ATF) I fixed the hose, filled it up with ATF and went on my way.

Now I just replaced the "paper clip" cooler (that got crushed on a rock) on the steering system with an aluminum cooler and refilled the system with the rest of the ATF I had left over. The pump groaned and the fluid foamed like a milkshake. I cant seem to get the air out. I now have a mix of ATF and PS fluid in there.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem?
Is it ok to mix the fluids?
Is the ATF causing the foaming? (I thought it prevented foaming)
I'm ready to top it off with the PS fluid I have and not worry about it since that is basically what I did 4 years ago without a problem.

For me a breakdown can be a 3-4 day event if I breakdown 5 hours from a city, so I err on the restoration/maintenance side of the discussion, but I don't want to be chicken little about this.

Ok, I blew a PS hose in the middle of nowhere 4 years ago. Sent a guy on the road to the nearest village and he brought back a red fluid he called hidraulina (today I know this is Peruvian for ATF) I fixed the hose, filled it up with ATF and went on my way.

Now I just replaced the "paper clip" cooler (that got crushed on a rock) on the steering system with an aluminum cooler and refilled the system with the rest of the ATF I had left over. The pump groaned and the fluid foamed like a milkshake. I cant seem to get the air out. I now have a mix of ATF and PS fluid in there.
View attachment 1911747
Does anyone know if this will be a problem?
Is it ok to mix the fluids?
Is the ATF causing the foaming? (I thought it prevented foaming)
I'm ready to top it off with the PS fluid I have and not worry about it since that is basically what I did 4 years ago without a problem.

For me a breakdown can be a 3-4 day event if I breakdown 5 hours from a city, so I err on the restoration/maintenance side of the discussion, but I don't want to be chicken little about this.
I assume the fluids are miscible so likely you just have air up in there. Run it, let it settle, run it, etc.

you can mix atf and ps fluid, they are compatible together. youll want to turn the wheel lock to lock to help bleed out the air, let it sit and run again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom