Events/Trails POSTPONED: Tech Day at OTRAMM 4 April (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
UPDATE: Due to the current circumstances we decided to cancel the April 4th Tech day.

We will reschedule once the gathering limits are lifted.

All,

Thanks to Ryan's generosity, as of right now, we are a go for a tech day at @OTRAMM on 4 April.
Post up if you are planning on attending and what you want to accomplish.

Depending on demand, priority may be given to folks planning to take their trucks to Relic Run.

This is all subject to change, depending on the trajectory of COVID19, so stay tuned to this thread.

Cheers,
Stump

Last edited:
Hope to be there, if not to install my new UCAs, then at least to lend a hand and pay it forward for the next go 'round! Now where's my &$#@* hand sanitizer?!

Do we have a solid date, or is it tentative due to corona? I want to make it and if I do, I’ll ideally have front and rear shocks to put on my 100. If possible I’d like help in diagnosing why my ac isn’t working and why my controls are stuck on ac and fresh.

I’ll try and start soaking all the shock nuts in pblaster so we aren’t stuck with rusty seized nuts if avoidable

id be interested in knockin out new upper and lower ball joints on my 100, maybe help trying to free the stuck center locker on the truck as well

id be interested in knockin out new upper and lower ball joints on my 100, maybe help trying to free the stuck center locker on the truck as well

You'd likely be much better off just getting new upper and lower arms if the joints are bad. We did the press in lowers once and I did not like the way they fit. If the ball joints are worn out, the bushings at the other end probably aren't far behind.

Do we have a solid date, or is it tentative due to corona? I want to make it and if I do, I’ll ideally have front and rear shocks to put on my 100. If possible I’d like help in diagnosing why my ac isn’t working and why my controls are stuck on ac and fresh.

I’ll try and start soaking all the shock nuts in pblaster so we aren’t stuck with rusty seized nuts if avoidable

It's a solid date, unless or until COVID19 infection rate goes logarithmic between now and then, or VA institutes Martial Law.

Last edited:
I'll be there; I'd like to change the timing belt on my HZJ73. It's pretty straight forward but could use some help to make sure it's done right.
The timing belt is easily accessible on the 1HZ motor.

Shocks are doable. Regarding the A/C, have you searched 'mud for possible causes and diagnoses? We don't have A/C specialty tools. The best you're likely to get is educated guesses and maybe some simple electrical tests, unless you can provide more detail on the issue.

Perhaps it's as simple as this? Cabin Filter Change and the Recirculation Flap Issues FIXED

You'd likely be much better off just getting new upper and lower arms if the joints are bad. We did the press in lowers once and I did not like the way they fit. If the ball joints are worn out, the bushings at the other end probably aren't far behind.

The professional mechanic has weighed in.

I’m in but will be there to instal my rear heater fan and a 12v source to the console. After that I’m game to help anyone wrench

hoping to be there just to help— if all goes as planned the water pump/cooling system refresh will be done. Decided to tackle the timing cover gasket and crank seal while I have everything out. Waiting on parts currently.

hoping to be there just to help— if all goes as planned the water pump/cooling system refresh will be done. Decided to tackle the timing cover gasket and crank seal while I have everything out. Waiting on parts currently.

That is a good decision... Check the condition of that lower metal coolant hose fitting, down by the timing cover, as well. Be very careful removing the timing gear cover bolts... A manual impact driver is your friend here. I also recommend purchasing m6 torx or hex fasteners to replace the originals. Also , DO NOT OVERTORQUE the timing cover fasteners it will destroy the cork gasket and leak if you do. Be very diligent in following the FSM. Have the proper replacement fasteners on hand before beginning the work.

If you need help I'm happy to assist I still have a gallon of CLR if you would like to flush your system as well.

@1MOA looks nice and clean in their, going to flush with distilled water once I get everything back together

@Stumpalama I’ve read a few threads but not the fsm yet. Thanks for the additional tips. Any recommendations for or against (and what type) of rtv or fipg to use on the cork gasket and/or crank seal?

@Betteron2wheels thanks for the tip on Smitty’s Radiator.Just dropped it off- they were friendly, knowledge, and seem to be the old school legit kind of shop I was looking for. $110 to dip/flush, pressure test, solder the seam leaks, and repaint. Will let you all know how it comes out.
3DC53898-5AA0-4021-8F41-1C59EC188859.jpeg

Depending on how COVID-19 effect the closing for the new house. I’m a maybe to stand around and watch others work!
It is my favorite activity!

Losing head room in my garage...may come out to swap in new front & rear springs and rear shocks.
There are some wide open spaces out there, so may tune my CB Radio as well.

Although after driving my truck last night I think power steering flush takes precedence over shocks...
They have gear driven PS pumps, correct? Might want to look into that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom