Events/Trails POSTPONED: Tech Day at OTRAMM 4 April

FJCowboy

SILVER Star

I'm in and will be there primarily as support. "If" we run out of projects, would appreciate a once over on my new to me FJ40. Primarily leaf spring/shock geometry and York Air pump assessment not working with lockers. Thanks

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

I'm in and will be there primarily as support. "If" we run out of projects, would appreciate a once over on my new to me FJ40. Primarily leaf spring/shock geometry and York Air pump assessment not working with lockers. Thanks
Easy.

afgman786

SILVER Star

Potential swapping of coils in the rear? For those of you that have set up limiting straps please shed your knowledge.

Right now its running front 80 springs, I've got a set of full brand new 200 suspension on my shelf that I was thinking using the coils off of to make the rear firmer.

My logic is higher weight springs and stiffer shocks along with limiting straps should do the job? That was be able to drive around town and then take the straps off for wheeling.

20200322_130034.jpg

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

@afgman786 The limiting straps will not do any good on the road. They are so the suspension doesn’t over extend and break parts or spit out springs.
You need a sway bar for the road and sway bar disconnects for off road.
Or drive it and get use to the body role.
Spring keepers or inner spring bump stops.
I don't know that he is at risk of losing anything.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

Looks like there are spring keepers in there.
Need more info on the issue you are trying to address.

afgman786

SILVER Star

Looks like there are spring keepers in there.
Need more info on the issue you are trying to address.
Yes there are spring keepers. My cousin wants to occasionally drive it on the road and potentially to work occasionally when the weather is nice. He knows he bought a trail rig, but we're hoping that the back end can be stiffened up a bit to be able to comfortably drive on country roads for enjoyment.

Also my thought is with how soft the rear end is, he might put himself in a bad situation on the trails compared to having a stiffer suspension in the rear.

Jakes40

IH8MUD Poser
SILVER Star

Spring keepers or inner spring bump stops.
I don't know that he is at risk of losing anything.
He is not at risk of loosing anything. Simple stating what a limiting strap is there for. It seems to me He want to firm up the wiggle /role that truck has on the street. He is better off installing a sway bar and disconnects.
Are the springs you have the same Length just stiffer? You can always try them out. It would not hurt.

Last edited:

afgman786

SILVER Star

He is not at risk of loosing anything. Simple stating what a limiting strap is there for. It seems to me He want to firm up the wiggle /role that truck has on the street. He is better off installing a sway bar and disconnects.
Are the springs you have the same Length just stiffer? You can always try them out. It would not hurt.
The work for sway bar might be too much right now... was hoping to try the simple things like shocks and coils first. Haven't measured yet, assuming they are similar, if not will get similar length.
Mainly posted my question to see if I was on the right path of digging into a potential solution. Didn't want to look into spring weights, heights, and which shocks are used to try and find similar but stiffer if it wouldn't help fix the problem.

Crusha

Self-censoring my mud posts...
SILVER Star

I removed both sway bars on my 80. Not a real issue, unless I'm on twisty mountain roads. Then it feels like I'm on a boat!

I'm used to it.

Jakes40

IH8MUD Poser
SILVER Star

I removed both sway bars on my 80. Not a real issue, unless I'm on twisty mountain roads. Then it feels like I'm on a boat!

I'm used to it.
a that’s what Bobs old 40 feels like but worse when (A) you are on a tall short wheelbase vehicle and (B) use to driving a modern vehicle.

just turn it hard enough to put it on its side then you know it’s limit!

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

Yes there are spring keepers. My cousin wants to occasionally drive it on the road and potentially to work occasionally when the weather is nice. He knows he bought a trail rig, but we're hoping that the back end can be stiffened up a bit to be able to comfortably drive on country roads for enjoyment.

Also my thought is with how soft the rear end is, he might put himself in a bad situation on the trails compared to having a stiffer suspension in the rear.
Air bags or stiffer springs. I wouldn't do both shocks and springs I would do springs, see how it rides, then address shocks.

Top Bottom