Post Your Blackstone Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone know what the "Flashpoint" property means? This is my third report, but the first on an interval of more than 500 or 1000 miles post-rebuild. I'm planning on 5,000 mile intervals from here on out.

Edited to add JPG.

R98564.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know what the "Flashpoint" property means? This is my third report, but the first on an interval of more than 500 or 1000 miles post-rebuild. I'm planning on 5,000 mile intervals from here on out.
Please post a .jpg of your report, so we don't have to all download it.

Flashpoint is related to amount of fuel in the oil as well as how much of certain compounds are still in it.

@truthdetector

"Technically speaking, the flashpoint is the lowest temperature at which a liquid will generate sufficient vapor to flash (ignite) when exposed to a source of ignition or fire. In other words, at what temperature do the vapors coming off your oil catch fire? For most gasoline oil samples, it’s around 380°F. For most diesel samples, it’s about 410°F."

Report for last oil change finally came in. This consistent antifreeze contamination funny business is bugging me. Interesting as sometimes it's pretty high and sometimes it acts like it's going to decrease to unproblematic territory. Any ideas?
1705877792701.png

Report for last oil change finally came in. This consistent antifreeze contamination funny business is bugging me. Interesting as sometimes it's pretty high and sometimes it acts like it's going to decrease to unproblematic territory. Any ideas?
View attachment 3538684
I will post mine later.
A thought...
I had a small amount of coolant leaking into the oil following a complete rebuild. Frustrating. Turned out to be the oil cooler. I replaced it with the cover, problem solved.
Head gasket???
Fingers crossed 'fer ya

I will post mine later.
A thought...
I had a small amount of coolant leaking into the oil following a complete rebuild. Frustrating. Turned out to be the oil cooler. I replaced it with the cover, problem solved.
Head gasket???
Fingers crossed 'fer ya
I am leaning towards oil cooler. Head gasket leak test yields nothing. How would I diagnose oil cooler issue? Or should i just throw parts at it

I am leaning towards oil cooler. Head gasket leak test yields nothing. How would I diagnose oil cooler issue? Or should i just throw parts at it
not really sure how to troubleshoot the problem, unless of course you take it off and it's really obvious - that's doubtful. The amount of loss is likely drip drip. There are some seals and O rings which could all be replaced. I had enough frustration, so I ordered one from an online source; to end the problem. My next step was to replace the cylinder head :bang:

Have an updated Blackstone report. The oil use interval should actually be 1,689 miles. This motor was pulled by Onur before Christmas and a new one is going in shortly. Motor ran fine (not the reason for the new motor), but they called out copper is elevated. Not sure if that is concerning or not :meh:
blackstone.jpg

First blackstone report on my 170k lx450. Confirmed my HG failure but wanted to make sure bottom end was good before tearing into it. Going to replace HG and refresh the entire cooling system and hopefully all is well again.
IMG_0903.jpeg

Last edited:
First blackstone report on my 170k lx450. Confirmed my HG failure but wanted to make sure bottom end was good before tearing into it. Going to replace HG and refresh the entire cooling system and hopefully all is well again.
View attachment 3570451
Are you aware you have posted all your personal info?

If you read above, there's a way to remove it before you post it.

Watch that overflow tank, when I noticed that mine was slowly dropping I knew I had a problem. My truck was running fine but it was time for the HG. I never had temp issues, say anything above low 200's, so I think it just finally gave in at 238,500
I am getting ready to send in my first sample at 164,000 on a 1997. I am not currently having issues, aside from a slightly rough idle, or miss. but the dreaded head gasket is always on my mind. When you guys say "Watch that overflow tank, when I noticed that mine was slowly dropping I knew I had a problem." What are you watching? The overflow tank is supposed to fluctuate a little. How much is to be concerned? I have done the combustion leak detector test with negative results.

I am getting ready to send in my first sample at 164,000 on a 1997. I am not currently having issues, aside from a slightly rough idle, or miss. but the dreaded head gasket is always on my mind. When you guys say "Watch that overflow tank, when I noticed that mine was slowly dropping I knew I had a problem." What are you watching? The overflow tank is supposed to fluctuate a little. How much is to be concerned? I have done the combustion leak detector test with negative results.
I was noticing that my overflow tank was getting lower (cold start) over time. After a couple of top off's I knew coolant was going somewhere other than on the ground so that's what tipped me off to my HG. Ended up being a coolant jacket on #6 where it was failing. My overflow tipped me off, but if there is coolant in the oil it will show up on a Blackstone report and they will bring it to your attention.

Last edited:
I was noticing that my overflow tank was getting lower (cold start) over time. After a couple of top off's I knew coolant was going somewhere other than on the ground so that's what tipped me off to my HG. Ended up being a coolant jacket on #6 where it was failing. My overflow tipped my off but if there is coolant in the oil it will show up on a Blackstone report and they will bring it to your attention.
Got it, thanks.

What I do is when I open my hood and check my oil (at least weekly because mine is a DD) and I look at the level in the overflow tank. I keep it right at the "full" level. If the tank lowers over time, that means I have a leak because I'm checking it when cold, first thing in the morning.

If the level continues to go down over time it could be:
Head gasket
O-Rings leaking on the bypass pipe
Perforated hose
PHH failure
Heater core failing
Oil cooler leaking

Other tell-tale signs will show based on which other issues you see.

Milky oil means it's either HG or oil cooler.
Oil in the overflow tank means it's either HG or oil cooler
Strawberry milkshake in the overflow or radiator is the transmission oil cooler in the bottom of the radiator.
Strawberry milkshake in your transmission oil is the transmission oil cooler in the bottom of the radiator.

If the level never changes, even when hot, you need to check the level in the radiator by removing the radiator cap. Because, if you have a leak in a hose, you may not be able to have enough vacuum in the cooling system to draw the coolant back in from the tank because a perforated hose is allowing air to seep back in very slowly.

Also, if your overflow tank continues to fill up, it could be the same issue. It pushes fluid out, but can't suck it back in.

So, I check my oil and coolant overflow tank level at least once per week and my radiator cap monthly.
Check you transmission oil monthly or if you start feeling weird shifting patterns. Always check after having driven a minimum of 15 miles with a warm engine running, on level ground, in park.

First Blackstone Labs report just came back. Shell Rotela T6 15w-40. Second oil change so far. Would changing the OEM filter every other oil change make any difference?

IMG_1008.png

Didn't you read the third from last sentence explaining why you had good results? A filter cost is less than three gallons or less of fuel. Is that the risk of causing more wear in your engine. As cruiserdan says that's like taking a shower and putting on your dirty underwear back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom