Post up what you pedal (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it’s been a good week. My shock (cane creek DB IL) that I ordered back in December arrived today so put it on as well as a new wolf tooth chainring, shimano XT 12 speed derailleur and shifter, and some new XT trail pedals. Now just waiting on my Sram X01 cassette and code RSC brakes.

View attachment 2658467
Got any of the old 11spd shifting that you wanna sell? Bike looks great!

Well it’s been a good week. My shock (cane creek DB IL) that I ordered back in December arrived today so put it on as well as a new wolf tooth chainring, shimano XT 12 speed derailleur and shifter, and some new XT trail pedals. Now just waiting on my Sram X01 cassette and code RSC brakes.

View attachment 2658467

Love the KONA!

Could not resist the classic Volvo-Cannondale livery. I had to have it.
2012C50E-AC8C-4332-A17B-7214DF7A8261.jpeg

No worries, found a group down the block from me to transform the SSCX to 1x10 flatbar 'gravel/do-all'.

PXL_20210429_223506959.jpg

This gearing is far more paved than trail/gravel. But the chainring/power meter remain while I search for wider rear shifting options.

50Tx11-36T 1x10 at the moment.

My name is Corbet and I have a bike problem. Honestly it’s probably worse than my Cruiser problem.

This one is for my 11yr old son. Wrapped up the modifications to the factory build this evening. 26.38lb complete. Santa Cruz Chameleon C. Originally a 27.5+ bike now sporting XC29er trim.

587AAB54-8AAC-4551-98E4-979C4E77C2A9.jpeg
4202DBEC-B941-48C8-A934-DDB387140006.jpeg
32F810EE-ED05-427A-9F0E-7F6FAE9CA351.jpeg

My name is Corbet and I have a bike problem. Honestly it’s probably worse than my Cruiser problem.

This one is for my 11yr old son. Wrapped up the modifications to the factory build this evening. 26.38lb complete. Santa Cruz Chameleon C. Originally a 27.5+ bike now sporting XC29er trim.

View attachment 2684749View attachment 2684750View attachment 2684752

@Corbet that build looks absolutely sick! What is the frame size? When I first looked at the pictures the proportions made me think it was a 26" dirt jumper.

I looked at the Chameleon a few years ago but eventually settled on a FS bike.

@Corbet that build looks absolutely sick! What is the frame size? When I first looked at the pictures the proportions made me think it was a 26" dirt jumper.

I looked at the Chameleon a few years ago but eventually settled on a FS bike.
It’s an adult small. At 5’ he can handle it. Hope he fits for 2 years. His last bike was a 26” TrailCraft Timber. It’s a couple years back in this thread somewhere.

My wife had a full hip replacement early this year. Now with a full bill of health she requested I pull “our” bike out of the garage. It’s going to need some love to get rolling again but it’s a ton of fun. First step is to bleed the brakes.

C93A42DF-C3E6-41CF-A218-7081B55C1B16.jpeg

Still waiting on this to show up:

aZ5Od1V.jpg

Starting to have withdraws. I sold my Fathom 2 back in April and pulled the trigger on this 2021 Giant Trance X 29 2 and the lead/wait times are just insane!

Still waiting on this to show up:

aZ5Od1V.jpg

Starting to have withdraws. I sold my Fathom 2 back in April and pulled the trigger on this 2021 Giant Trance X 29 2 and the lead/wait times are just insane

my son switched to one last year from a transition patrol and he loves it. The giant pedals much better then the transition without compromise on the down. Depending on where you are and how you ride, if you do any big Mtn downhill/park may need to change the fork. I hear you on the wait times, Ordered him a Lyrik ultimate back in Feb (along with Guide RSC and a cassette for me) still waiting... are in AK and ride everything from long backcountry overnights, XC, enduro, flow, lift service DH/park. We’ve been riding almost every day so bikes are piled up ready to go.

C70C8820-EF21-4664-B202-2030FB88B1E1.jpeg

my son switched to one last year from a transition patrol and he loves it. The giant pedals much better then the transition without compromise on the down. Depending on where you are and how you ride, if you do any big Mtn downhill/park may need to change the fork. I hear you on the wait times, Ordered him a Lyrik ultimate back in Feb (along with Guide RSC and a cassette for me) still waiting... are in AK and ride everything from long backcountry overnights, XC, enduro, flow, lift service DH/park. We’ve been riding almost every day so bikes are piled up ready to go.

View attachment 2699902

Most of the riding I do is cross country. Anything from downhill, to hill climbs, to technical rock gardens to casual rides through grassy areas. I don't do anything that's extreme to one side or the other. I literally was shopping around for a good all around bike that could do it all and I can have for years to come. I know a lot of people love the downhill stuff but in my opinion, there's nothing more satisfying than pedaling up a long steep hill without a problem.

I probably could ride everyday but most of my riding takes place on the weekends. I was hoping that I'd already have my bike to try and beat the heat of California summer but with my luck, it's gonna get delivered around the same time that we start getting 105+ days. :(

How's your son like the Trance X 29 2? Any complaints?

Most of the riding I do is cross country. Anything from downhill, to hill climbs, to technical rock gardens to casual rides through grassy areas. I don't do anything that's extreme to one side or the other. I literally was shopping around for a good all around bike that could do it all and I can have for years to come. I know a lot of people love the downhill stuff but in my opinion, there's nothing more satisfying than pedaling up a long steep hill without a problem.

I probably could ride everyday but most of my riding takes place on the weekends. I was hoping that I'd already have my bike to try and beat the heat of California summer but with my luck, it's gonna get delivered around the same time that we start getting 105+ days. :(

How's your son like the Trance X 29 2? Any complaints?
He is 15 and rides almost every day and races enduro. We live very close to the Anchorage hillside trail network that covers over 40 miles and over 3000 vertical feet, all pedal, no lifts. Everything from long XC to double black DH. It is the perfect bike from this system, doesn't pedal as well as an XC bike, doesn’t descend as well as a DH bike but is a great all around do everything. Here is the network:

We ride the lifts at Alyeska for the bike park some weekends and skip the lifts and pedal it to the top as well.

For Alyeska the fork is sketchy (and personally I just greatly prefer rockshox to Fox) so only thing we are swapping out is the fork. He will probably change the wheels out at some point but we will wait for a failure.

we also ride long backcountry regularly: lost lake, Johnson pass, resurrection pass, crescent lake. We also caribou hunt with bikes off the Denali highway. We do 50-80 mile days 4-6 times a month.

We all ride trail/enduro bikes and have for the last ~10 years. As a family we put in close to 1000 miles all off road, over the 4 months of summer. He rode a transition patrol before the trance and a trek fuel 26’er before that. The Trance x is by far the best all around of the 3, he will likely ride it for a long time. I ride a Kona Process 134 (pictured above) rode a specialized enduro before that (and a s-works XC and Demo before that). My wife rides a trance 27.5 and my 13 year old daughter rides a Salsa Rustler. I would ride a trance X but the geometry just dosn’t fit me. I’ve ridden/racemountain bike extensively for over 30 years and can’t recommend enough buying what fits you.

He is 15 and rides almost every day and races enduro. We live very close to the Anchorage hillside trail network that covers over 40 miles and over 3000 vertical feet, all pedal, no lifts. Everything from long XC to double black DH. It is the perfect bike from this system, doesn't pedal as well as an XC bike, doesn’t descend as well as a DH bike but is a great all around do everything. Here is the network:

We ride the lifts at Alyeska for the bike park some weekends and skip the lifts and pedal it to the top as well.

For Alyeska the fork is sketchy (and personally I just greatly prefer rockshox to Fox) so only thing we are swapping out is the fork. He will probably change the wheels out at some point but we will wait for a failure.

we also ride long backcountry regularly: lost lake, Johnson pass, resurrection pass, crescent lake. We also caribou hunt with bikes off the Denali highway. We do 50-80 mile days 4-6 times a month.

We all ride trail/enduro bikes and have for the last ~10 years. As a family we put in close to 1000 miles all off road, over the 4 months of summer. He rode a transition patrol before the trance and a trek fuel 26’er before that. The Trance x is by far the best all around of the 3, he will likely ride it for a long time. I ride a Kona Process 134 (pictured above) rode a specialized enduro before that (and a s-works XC and Demo before that). My wife rides a trance 27.5 and my 13 year old daughter rides a Salsa Rustler. I would ride a trance X but the geometry just dosn’t fit me. I’ve ridden/racemountain bike extensively for over 30 years and can’t recommend enough buying what fits you.

Well that's good to know that the Trance X 29 2 is a good all around bike because that's exactly what i'm buying it for. The geometry is a little scary because I have yet to even sit on the bike but i'm coming from a Giant Fathom 2 hardtail so i'm hoping that it's gonna be close to the same feel as that with full suspension? I guess we'll find out... I've only ridden a few full suspension bikes (Santacruz High Tower, Norco Aurum, Kona Process 134 & a Specialized FSR) and they all felt really good. The Norco Aurum was a strict downhill bike and was my least favorite. I loved the Santacruz High Tower. I just felt like the vertical rise rear shock feels the best when doing XC courses. The process 134 felt the highest quality but this was also a carbon fiber E-bike... ($10k price tag). I hated the Specialized FSR. couldn't even touch the quality of the Santa Cruz or Kona

I'm really hoping that i'll enjoy the Trance. Being that i'm coming from a Giant Hardtail, i'm expecting that the Trance X 29 2 is just going to be a much higher quality than the Fathom I was on. I'm just a little scared because i've been waiting a solid 4 months now, i've already paid for the bike and I haven't even sat on the thing yet. My pedals, crank arm guards, chain bash guard and frame wrap are collecting dust. :( haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom