Post Tractor Pull Wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a few weeks after this event where I pulled a tractor that is most likely heavier than my diesel 80 Land Cruiser’s load capacity. (It was marked 3000 kilos on the data plate- excluding the trailer weight) I’ve been having some brake growling noise which I suspect is worn pads. However it also sounds as though there is a grinding or growling sound that is new, while driving but not braking as well. Is it possible that I have worn out wheel-bearings somewhere? And if so, any recommendations on where I might look or what I might consider?

F5A219C8-9270-4B3C-85D3-DE21BDFCA716.jpeg

I'd start with new brake pads. The pads float pretty close to the rotors when not in use and you could be hearing some contact of pad/rotor even while not braking but louder because the pad material may be worn away. If your brakes are making noise you are possibly damaging your rotors and making a lot more work for yourself.

When you do the pad replacement check wheel bearings on each wheel. Loose wheel bearings can allow the rotor to contact that brake pads as the wheel moves around.

Do what @jpoole suggests.

Also check the U-Joints. Towing a heavy load like that when a truck isn't used to it can tear up U-joints and instead of the typical squeak on each rotation, it goes direct to grinding.

Could also be pinion bearings.

How far and how fast did you go?
How much braking did you do?

Do what @jpoole suggests.

Also check the U-Joints. Towing a heavy load like that when a truck isn't used to it can tear up U-joints and instead of the typical squeak on each rotation, it goes direct to grinding.

Could also be pinion bearings.

How far and how fast did you go?
How much braking did you do?
About 6 hours, no faster than 35 mp/ 60 kph. Three out with an empty an empty trailer and then three hours back. The trailer had a built-in brake on it and the truck didn’t seem to have any problems at the time. Symptoms developed about two weeks ago. I ride my bike a lot to work in Germany so haven’t put a lot of mileage on it since. Brake pads are barely worn, took a photo of front driver side brake pads.

The weight for the tractor didn't include the loader arms nor the cab. You were probably pulling closer to 5000kg.

About 6 hours, no faster than 35 mp/ 60 kph. Three out with an empty an empty trailer and then three hours back. The trailer had a built-in brake on it and the truck didn’t seem to have any problems at the time. Symptoms developed about two weeks ago. I ride my bike a lot to work in Germany so haven’t put a lot of mileage on it since. Brake pads are barely worn, took a photo of front driver side brake pads.
Since you are in Germany, you may have a semi-float rear axle instead of a full-float rear axle. What year, make, model is your truck and include a photo of the rear hub and wheel?

If you have a semi-float rear axle, you probably toasted your outer axle bearings. Easy to tell is if you have drum brakes on the rear axle.

Your trailer needs new wheel bearings now as well......... Maybe new tires.

Is that a John Deere 4020?

So eliminate the mysteries and go from there. I doubt that tractor on a trailer did your 80 bad.

Classic head gasket growl.... haha, JK

Definitely start by checking the U joints for slop.

If it's not the u joints than you might as well rebuild the rear axle, ie new brakes, seals and bearings.

And don't 2nd guess your decision. Your trading a rebuilt rear axle for hunting!!!! Sounds like a good deal to me.

Since you are in Germany, you may have a semi-float rear axle instead of a full-float rear axle. What year, make, model is your truck and include a photo of the rear hub and wheel?

If you have a semi-float rear axle, you probably toasted your outer axle bearings. Easy to tell is if you have drum brakes on the rear axle.

Your trailer needs new wheel bearings now as well......... Maybe new tires.

Is that a John Deere 4020?
Classic head gasket growl.... haha, JK

Definitely start by checking the U joints for slop.

If it's not the u joints than you might as well rebuild the rear axle, ie new brakes, seals and bearings.

And don't 2nd guess your decision. Your trading a rebuilt rear axle for hunting!!!! Sounds like a good deal to me.
So, the plots thickens. I lost most of the braking power yesterday. Blown out seals on the master cylinder, with brake fluid going back into the booster. Lack of break vacuum not sucking the pistons back in, causing ghostly grinding noises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom