Possible to add drain to oil filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you remove the round part with the square indentation, there is a check valve behind it. This stays closed/sealed until you insert the plastic tool from my video or screw the second part of the hose tools up. Once that opens oil can drain out. The round plug is there to prevent the internal valve from deploying while driving, thereby draining all of your oil onto the ground.

The dorman appears to be exactly like a Genuine Toyota metal cap only they cast a couple extra torque specs into the cover. Cheap copies of other stuff is Dorman’s entire business model. The good thing is as long as that round plug stays in place and torqued to spec even if the more complex part (the valve) isn’t perfect you don’t lose all your oil.
You were correct. The dorman has the check valve…though it steadily drizzled once I removed the outer cap. I went ahead an ordered an oem one for the next oil change.

Seems odd to be that someone hasn’t manufactured a fumoto style drain plug that will permanently install in the threaded portion that the outer cap screws onto.

You were correct. The dorman has the check valve…though it steadily drizzled once I removed the outer cap. I went ahead an ordered an oem one for the next oil change.

Seems odd to be that someone hasn’t manufactured a fumoto style drain plug that will permanently install in the threaded portion that the outer cap screws onto.
Doesn’t seem odd to me at all. As shown in the video the plastic tool works great.

As I mentioned before, the problem I see with this is what tool can you use to remove the filter with a permanent fumoto valve in place? It'd have to be a deep socket or tool to go over the valve.

Doesn’t seem odd to me at all. As shown in the video the plastic tool works great.
You could be right. It may just be that the seal/spring in the dorman unit is too weak to keep the oil from drizzling out prior to inserting the plastic tube.

Perhaps the oem unit, when it arrives, will hold a better seal.

Anyone happen to know how much oil would drain if I removed the oil filter without draining the rest of the truck?

Anyone happen to know how much oil would drain if I removed the oil filter without draining the rest of the truck?
Not much. Maybe a pint. It definitely won’t drain the whole pan or anything like that.

The oem metal oil filter housing is significantly different from the dorman unit, specifically the valve. I’m glad I purchased it.

However it didn’t come with the outer cap that screws over the valve, which is goofy.

I usually attach a hose into the included tool thingmajig Toyota include with their filter and I have zero mess on the cars when doing oil changes. To remove the plastic tool, just bend 90 degrees and it pops out with the rubber gasket.

20220714_120222.jpg

Haha, I came back about an hour later and snapped a picture after dropping the kids off.

If anyone knows how to do machine work, it’s possible to add the fumoto to a standard oil filter housing

If anyone knows how to do machine work, it’s possible to add the fumoto to a standard oil filter housing

While this is certainly possible I'm making some popcorn for the resulting post(s) of assorted results. :popcorn:

I dont even drain the filter housing. I just remove it with little oil spilling out at I unscrew the filter housing.
I felt that draining the housing is waste of time and working with too many parts and again worry about torquing them correctly or cross threading them.

I was told, draining the filter housing is only for those who do not want to change their filter.

I was told, draining the filter housing is only for those who do not want to change their filter.
By who?

There is no reason not to use the drain and it does reduce the mess substantially. A variety of torque wrenches should already be on hand, including an in-lbf wrench for the KDSS valve screws. I’ve been setting the drain and cap to the appropriate values for going on 15 oil changes and everything comes apart perfectly every time.

If someone cross-threads the filter drain cap they shouldn’t be doing oil changes in the first place.

By who?

There is no reason not to use the drain and it does reduce the mess substantially. A variety of torque wrenches should already be on hand, including an in-lbf wrench for the KDSS valve screws. I’ve been setting the drain and cap to the appropriate values for going on 15 oil changes and everything comes apart perfectly every time.

If someone cross-threads the filter drain cap they shouldn’t be doing oil changes in the first place.
Totally agree 100%.

Draining eliminates the mess. No reason not to do it.

Whut? and miss a golden chance to scald ones hand and forearm with hot oil? Heresy I say.
Haha, been there done that for many years.

I like to challenge myself to only drain directly to milk jugs (picked up by garbage man) and not use a drain pan. Fun times! Plus having full Slee skids makes it kind of a requirement to use drain tubes to keep the mess to a minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom