Portsmouth Island - Nov 12-15, 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Out of curiosity, what PSI do you air-down to for sand crawling?
20-25 makes it easy to drive back to where you might want to air up. 12-15 will get you out of the softest stuff and much lower you risk breaking a bead.

I always air down to about 12-15 psi when i go down there

man, i've never seen anyone make it far at all out there without airing down.

Out of curiosity, what PSI do you air-down to for sand crawling?
At Carolina Beach I always drop to 15psi and never have any problems. I see no reason to wait to find out I need to air down.

That, is some funny sheet. My favorite line, when not airing down:
"
– Your wife, small or large, also needs to be removed and kept quiet. Yes you are stupid for putting the vehicle in this position, but for now everyone must work together and remain focused on the recovery."

It's Marie. Mike is busy packing the truck. Guinness has claimed her spot in the truck too! We are bringing the space heater, firewood, camplng coffee pot, big pot of chili-vegetable soup, dozen eggs, bacon, butter, biscuits, orange juice, cast iron skillet, smaller pots/ marshmallows, jiffy corn bread mix, 1/2n1/2, hot chocolate, peanut butter, water. Safe travels and see you all soon.

Take lots of pics guys!

man, i've never seen anyone make it far at all out there without airing down.

I'll go anywhere one Carolina Beach without airing down. (now that I have 35's) I've been going out there for years and I keep that as a backup plan in case it ever surprises me.

But you might be talking about the Outer Banks. In an unfamiliar area, like where we'll be this weekend I'll be airing down. I'll probably start at 20-25 just to make it easier on the engine and transmission. When we went to the northern Outer Banks I didn't air down the first day and was working it too hard. I fixed that on the second day and rode much easier the rest of the time.

That was a good article from the Australian guy even if he can't spell tire. :) I like the bury the spare tire idea but hope I never have to use it. Good advice on getting out of tough situations that I hope to avoid too.

15 psi is not a bad place to start, especially if you don't have wide tires.:steer:

See most of y'all in half a day. We're in Wilmington about to crash right now. Gonna head out when we wake up and lengthen the final 3 hours by stopping for bait, misc crap and probably some fishing on the side of the road somewhere on the way. Stop and join us if you see two 80's parked in the last 40 miles.

Eric and us pulled into a gas station 15 miles from Wilmington and an LX towing a boat was right behind us. I went over to talk as the beast filled its belly, and the old crusty guy was raving about LX/80's - except for his 9mpg towing with armor and 315's - but I kinda don't think he noticed that he was the 3rd one in the line, even after I brought it up. But he DID mention a very successful flounder gigging trip yesterday.

EDIT: Eric says a guy in a Chevy at the gas station was asking about my light bar. Yeah, that's the most important thing.

Last edited:
I'm the same when going to Kure or Carolina for the day, I usually don't air down, stay at about 44 psi. If I know I'm stying on the sand or rocks, I'll air down to about 18, it's what my deflators are set at.

If you guys had a Fj40 you would not need to air down lol Crockpot Portsmouth Island 2013

Crockpot.jpg

If anybody needs anything let me know. I live in Morehead City, I have room if anyone needs to crash for a night. Call or text if you need anything. 252 412 7172

Tent that bad, the one you used, it's great for campsites, not beach with fall winds. 24mph at 4am.

Did it fly away with you inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom