Builds Portland Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taking it to Goose Gear in Huntington Beach. Working with the company to do something lightweight (composite) and using every available inch of real estate inside. A long bench seat on the left that will fold out into a bed for stealth camping. Refrig behind the passenger seat with a sink and kitchen storage. Fake wood floor and light colored exterior paneling. They will also likely do all of the electrical work. I've been thinking about this a very long time and have come up with some practical "wants" that have been developed from the 60. I've also had some fairly extensive 3d design work provided by Jonathan (mookies on mud).

Last edited:
Also interested in the design plans, as going the Alu Cab route remains a constant threat(or is it a thorn) in my monetary life.

The Troopy was delivered to Tommy's Tint in Clackamas this morning for window tinting. Tommy suggested and I went for 5% tint on the rear windows. I think it's 18% on the front and he is doing around a 4" visor on the front window. The tint will be put on the inside of the windows and a security film will be put on the outside. He is also going to attempt to flip the windows so the latches will be more towards the top which will make them accessible when the cabinets are installed.

Should have it out and pics will be posted by the end of the week. I hope.

My Troopy build had fallen to page 6 so I thought I'd bring an update.

I'm strongly considering putting the spare on top of the Alu-Cab. I've been told that the struts will work well with the weight. My thought is to have a rear bumper build with a locking storage box for chairs and "stuff" that will be used frequently. I hardly ever need a spare so I thought I would put it up top. I'd welcome Mud thoughts on this. A Font Runner rack on top to accommodate the spare, solar panel and maybe a parts/tool box(es).

Now on to some photo's that I took.

Why not just carry a tire carcass and a few tubes?

Why not just carry a tire carcass and a few tubes?
That's a thought. Actually a pretty good thought. I'd want to get some practice in prior on breaking and setting the bead. I'm unfortunately not very mechanical but I guess if you're broken down on the side of the road with time on your hands......

That's a thought. Actually a pretty good thought. I'd want to get some practice in prior on breaking and setting the bead. I'm unfortunately not very mechanical but I guess if you're broken down on the side of the road with time on your hands......

There is a reason why most world travelers using Troopys are using the Toyota split rims. They are pretty easy to mount and dismount tires on just using some hand tools. On my last trip to Europe I dismounted 5 split wheels and it took me less then 10 min per wheel, they where new take offs though which probably makes this a bit easier.

Taking just a carcass will help keep your gvm down too. A nice tire repair kit, a tube and a bottle of balance beads is lighter then a whole functioning spare. That said I’d look at the status quo for spare tires in the location you’re going to.

Had an opportunity to go to Portland, visit with umpqua, and see his progress on the Troopy I sold him last Fall. AWESOME!! What a nice rig! The 1HD-T is amazing--I was afraid that when I went back to driving my all original 3B powered Troopy that I'd become sad and despondent (and I kind of did, actually). Wish I had that much power in my Troopy. I might go to a 13B-T 'cause it should be such an easy swap (and I have one), but it's not gonna get me to where Rodney is with his. And the Alu-Cab! I'm still nervous as hell about cutting the roof off my Troopy, but that is such a nice setup that I might just have to get over it. Way to go, dude!

A couple of pics of the tint. Unfortunately I didn't get to actually see the tint job as it was picked up from the tint guy by Brian at Goose Gear. I was out of town at the NW "Overland" (car camping) rally in Plain, WA and Brian picked it up the following Sunday while I was traipsing around Eastern Oregon. The Troopy is now in the sweltering heat of SoCal where Brian is working the inside. I know that the rear tint is 5%. The windows were removed from the truck and "flipped" so that the latch openings will now be at the top which will allow easier access when the cabinets are installed. Also, the tint was put on the inside of the windows and Llumar security film was put on the outside. Apparently this stuff makes if very difficult to break the window.

Speaking of Brian, I met him at the Rally and he's a good guy. He will be sending photo's of the build as it progresses but I was and am very impressed with his listening skills. I'm quite confident that he is going to do a great job.

I also attached a photo of a trip that I made to the Alvord desert over the 4th.

tint.jpeg

tint2.jpeg

alvord.jpg

Any news on the LRT ?
I assume that you mean the water tank? Well, the water tank didn't get made in time to make the trip to CA with the truck so I guess we will have to mount that when it returns to Portland.

What compressor are you running?
Thanks
Sorry for the slow response on the ac question. A compressor for an 89-90 FJ62 will work and allows for the use of nearly any Denso compressor manifold from 1989 to current. The top manifold that we used was from a Previa. I'm told that the parts were ordered from 800 radiator.

I hope this helps.

Sorry for the slow response on the ac question. A compressor for an 89-90 FJ62 will work and allows for the use of nearly any Denso compressor manifold from 1989 to current. The top manifold that we used was from a Previa. I'm told that the parts were ordered from 800 radiator.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! Very helpful

Taking just a carcass will help keep your gvm down too. A nice tire repair kit, a tube and a bottle of balance beads is lighter then a whole functioning spare. That said I’d look at the status quo for spare tires in the location you’re going to.

I have driven to Panama and back three times.

I put one plug in one of my tires in 35,000 miles on these trips.

I put 3-4 plugs in other peoples tires. Saved a motorcycle guy in Mexico one day, he was very happy I had a plug kit, spray bottle of soapy water, compressor and knew how to fix his tire. Ten minutes I had him back on the road after he had spent 2hrs trying to fix it with a can of fix-a-flat.

;)

Cheers

Toyota part 8851060510 on cooler unit assembly.

Both of these parts work perfectly.

Did you integrate the 'cooler unit assembly' into the under-dash area and keep your stock heater? Does it replace an existing portion of the ducting?

We purchased a cooler unit assembly from Partsouq, item 8851060510. Mounted under the dash and I "believe" that ducting was added to plumb the unit. The stock heater is intact.

I can provide additional info as needed.

I have driven to Panama and back three times.

I put one plug in one of my tires in 35,000 miles on these trips.

I put 3-4 plugs in other peoples tires. Saved a motorcycle guy in Mexico one day, he was very happy I had a plug kit, spray bottle of soapy water, compressor and knew how to fix his tire. Ten minutes I had him back on the road after he had spent 2hrs trying to fix it with a can of fix-a-flat.

;)

Cheers
I have what I think is a very good tire repair kit. It was suggested by and bought from Tom Severin if you know the name. I've never used it but I guess if you're broken down on the side of the road....I'm sure that my flat will occur in either the hot sun or a driving rain on the shoulder of an interstate highway. I have a bit of time to sort the spare as the truck is away for a couple of months.

Been "listening" to all the talk about a spare or no spare. What do you do when you split the side wall? Or get a wrench in the tire? Can you patch a side wall split? A hole bigger than a nail?

I have seen fist sized holes in sidewalls fixed with a handful of grass and ten tire plugs. It is doable but only for emergencies.

I certainly was not saying no spare, two spares to me seems like a waste though.

Everybody is different, a lot of this has to do with the type of uses you have for the truck. If you are going to be driving through a lot of sharp rocks obviously the chance for a flat is higher.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom