Builds Portland Troopy Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guess we could start another thread on this but I'd never travel without a spare. The question is does the spare tire need to be mounted on a rim. Saving the weight of the rim on the roof would be nice if I had confidence that I could break the bead on the dead tire and get the replacement on the rim.

Guess we could start another thread on this but I'd never travel without a spare. The question is does the spare tire need to be mounted on a rim. Saving the weight of the rim on the roof would be nice if I had confidence that I could break the bead on the dead tire and get the replacement on the rim.
Ok, I was under the impression that you were thinking of not carrying a spare. As to just a tire vs tire/wheel I guess I would consider just a tire if you was comfortable with working with split rim wheels. Other wise I don't know how hard it would be to change a tire on a regular rim.

Thanks for the reply on the cooler box assembly, I'd be interested to see an under dash picture when you have the vehicle back again.

On the tire note, I think a spare tire on or off the rim takes up about the same space, so I'd have it mounted on the rim, although off the rim would be lighter.

Roof mounted would be a PIA to load/unload. I like the under-car spot, but you'll have a water tank there...have you thought of mounting it in the front, off the grill area? Might be in the way of a winch.

I've put 7-plugs in a sidewall, aired up w/ CO2 and made it back to town, just couldn't park with the split on the bottom of the tire revolution or it would split open and start losing air again.

Ok, I was under the impression that you were thinking of not carrying a spare. As to just a tire vs tire/wheel I guess I would consider just a tire if you was comfortable with working with split rim wheels. Other wise I don't know how hard it would be to change a tire on a regular rim.

I've tried on 4runner alloy rims. I managed to get the tire off with the help of a Harbor Freight tire remover and tire irons (how easy it is depends on the tire). Not easy and the thing weighs more than a rim. To save weight maybe he could take a tire on an alloy rim which is quite a bit lighter than steel.

Simple punctures are easy to fix but giant holes are a bit different.

Not a great deal to report this week. I did pick up a 12K lb, 24v winch. The Engel refirg arrived at Goose Gear. Hopefully the inside work starts next week.

winch.jpg

Not a great deal to report. The truck is in SoCal with Brian at Goose Gear. I will hopefully have an update on the build soon.

This week I purchased some used Scheel seats from Land Cruiser Phil in Scottsdale. A friend who lives there picked them up yesterday and said they look "brand new."

Scheel Seats.png

Not a great deal to report. The truck is in SoCal with Brian at Goose Gear. I will hopefully have an update on the build soon.

This week I purchased some used Scheel seats from Land Cruiser Phil in Scottsdale. A friend who lives there picked them up yesterday and said they look "brand new."

View attachment 1757723
I thought about you when I saw that listing posted. Those are going to be fantastic!

Picked up a used Panasonic Toughpad for navigation. The unit will have a locking docking station and an external gps puck.

panasonic.jpg

Tablet 2.jpg

Rodney,

I’ve been pretty happy with A Garmin InReach. Can use it for offgrid (out of cell service) communication and pair the GPS function to the tablet via Bluetooth. Might be something you take a look into.

When does the rig get back from GooseGear?

I spoke to Brian at Goose Gear today. The truck has been slow going as he needed to order a new extruder...whatever that is. He's about there now and the plan is to have completion the first week of October. I'm going to take a week off and drive up the CA coast to Portland. Should be nice that time of the year...maybe the fires will be out.

From what I think I know about the Panasonic tablet it that it is GPS enabled so hopefully that negates the need for a garmin type add on. I wanted the Panasonic Pad for the "tough" feature and also to load plenty of maps, photo's and music. Not a tech person in any shape or fashion but hopefully this will be a nice unit.

The build seems to be starting at Goose Gear. Hopefully I will receive more photo's as things progress but here are a couple that I have. Building boxes for the empty side panels and templates for the wall.

Planning to pick the truck up on 10/5 so a LOT will need to happen in three weeks.

Getting excited....

Side Boxes.jpg

side template.jpg

The build seems to be starting at Goose Gear. Hopefully I will receive more photo's as things progress but here are a couple that I have. Building boxes for the empty side panels and templates for the wall.

Planning to pick the truck up on 10/5 so a LOT will need to happen in three weeks.

Getting excited....

View attachment 1791583

View attachment 1791584
How thick is that sheet of wood you’re using?

How thick is that sheet of wood you’re using?
For the side panel? Very thin....don't know the exact thickness. The existing side panels were rough and had holes. These are replacing them so the same thickness as what came out. Not sure that they are "wood" either. Sorry I can't be more specific.

For the side panel? Very thin....don't know the exact thickness. The existing side panels were rough and had holes. These are replacing them so the same thickness as what came out. Not sure that they are "wood" either. Sorry I can't be more specific.
No worries, I’m just curious as I’m on the fence between ABS plastic (or some sort of polycarbonate). Or just some thin piece of wood.

No worries, I’m just curious as I’m on the fence between ABS plastic (or some sort of polycarbonate). Or just some thin piece of wood.
Clarification.

The photo is of a template only. The template was made from 1/8" mdf. The panels that will actually be installed will be Baltic Birch. Not sure of the thickness but they will be available for purchase from Goose Gear.

Photos coming after install.

Are you putting some sound deadening in there before everything goes in?
Yes. Dynamat on the floor and walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom