Builds Portland Troopy Build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know if this helps. In the FJ62 (HZ) I have 4.11s, 33s (255/85), H55.

I think I usually shift into 5th at about 40-45mph and 65mph is about 2400 RPM. With my initial turbine housing, pulling up to 85mph was easy, oil pressure and EGTs were fine, so I felt fine if I had to cruise short distances at that kind of speed or quick blasts for passing. I wouldn't drive across long distances like that, but the motor seemed happy to run there. You probably get a little more headroom in the HD-T.

The way Kevin Rowland and I have experimented with setups (we have similar trucks and drivetrains), if you keep the smaller tires then 3.7 gears could work but 33s feel better with 4.11s. We both would like the taller o/d gear that the A440 auto has over the H55, but dropping to 3.7 diff gears to give the taller overdrive effect makes it sluggish.

More than gearing, as I ran above altitudes > 10,000ft I found that having a turbo housing that brought boost on earlier to be a priority over cruising power. It might be something to think of if you're planning to travel around altitudes like the Atacama.

A few pics of the body work. The holes in the rear door will be filled. I plan to NOT mount the spare on the door. It will either go up top or on a swing out on a new bumper.

Body Work.jpeg

Body Work 2.jpeg

Body Work 3.jpeg

Wow...the bodywork is going to look great! Amazing what a difference it makes. BTW, sorry about the rear door--it was like that when I got it. Turns out it's not an original Toyota factory equipped spare tire carrier, so don't feel too bad about removing it. The original ones had an internal brace piece spot welded in when the door was manufactured, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have gotten a spare tire on the rear door of a Troopy from the factory unless you also had dual fuel tanks (because the second fuel tank went where the spare tire originally lived).

I can confirm that the axles are 4.11, i.e. stock. The info is on the ID plate on the engine firewall. That particular Troopy has the limited slip axle, code 085, IIRC.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting!:)

When I referenced the "PO must have hit something pretty hard" with the spare I should have said the PO to the PO. Somewhere along the way in France.....not Steve. They also hit some stuff with the bumper (coming off anyway), fenders and the inside as well. The truck was decently rough but it had everything that I was looking for; LOW mileage, very limited rust and LEFT hand drive. Felt fortunate to get it and it's turning our quite well.

The wheels arrived from Stockton Wheel (thanks Steve!). Personally I think they look great. Can't wait to see them mounted on the truck. I sure hope they fit....without spacers. Supposed to.

I'm interested in having opinions on tires. I plan to go with 235/85R/16's (31.7x9.3x16). I've always run BFG's with good results but have thought about the Cooper Discover S/T Maxx. The tires are essentially the same price and I visited with my tire guy (Garth A-N-T Tire) and he likes BFG's. I also considered Toyo's but he doesn't sell them which means I won't buy them.

Thoughts on this?

Wheel.jpg

MAMA MIA...ATS A SPICE-Y MEAT A BALL!
f2Ge6Xn.png

Also, I'm BFG AT for life but there those Coopers have made a hell of a case of late. Toyo's are a b*tch to sell here in town anyway because Les Schwab has a monopoly.

First of all, killer Troopy. I'm close to making the move from a 200 to a troopy. Yours is giving me some ideas.

As for the Coopers. I had the KO2s before but I've had them on my 200 now for a while. It's a great tire with a stout sidewall. I was aired down to 20psi in my 7600lb 200 in Moab a few weeks ago and was getting barely any sidewall poke. Which is both good and bad. I've been pretty hard on them (Baja, Moab, ect) and have zero chunking and never had a puncture. They are very aggressive for an AT so there's a little bit of road noise but nothing serious, not in the 200 at least.

Tony, so you are now running the Coopers?

There is a LHD bj75 for sale in classifieds......

I've been in contact with a local welder that has designed an almost 40! gallon stainless steel water tank that should be completed hopefully in the next month or so. ...

Got any pics ? Is it going to be fitted inside the cab or under the chassis ? I am thinking of changing my setup to go under chassis but need ideas to mount it without taking up the LRT space at the back ?

I don't have pics yet but should soon and will post. The tank will be mounted under the truck. I have two gas tanks but there's still quite a bit of room.

If I had the choice of the same size and load rating tire of the two brands, I'd get BFG. I'll probably get the Cooper for the 62, but only because it's available in 255/85. The Cooper STs I've had on it have been less than steller, but still fine- but they are much different than the ST Maxx.

The first E-rated BFG KO2s I've had on my Tacoma look to have much greater life than the 15" C-rated KO and KO2 tires I'd run on other different trucks previously.

I don't have pics yet but should soon and will post. The tank will be mounted under the truck. I have two gas tanks but there's still quite a bit of room.

Thanks ! I assume you are aiming for the area between the tranny and the rear fuel tank partially covering the prop shaft ?

I was under the truck the other day and there was quite a bit of room behind the trans on the right hand side of the truck. The thought though is to integrate it with the driveline. I'm having this tank made and the guy that's making it obviously took some measurements. When I get it installed I will supply pics.

My thought is to try out the Cooper tires. I've always run BFG KO2's with good success but following the Mud mantra of if it works fix it I will probably use the Coopers this time around.

Last edited:
The body work is progressing. Cutting out the rust and welding in new metal.

Body work 4.jpeg

Body work 5.jpeg

The paint and body work is coming along. It's going to look new.

Paint.jpeg

Paint 1.jpeg

Paint 3.jpeg

Paint 4.jpeg

Paint 5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• MES
Back
Top Bottom