Popping felt in steering column on turn with audible noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,
When driving my rig in the past (hasn't run well in 2 years) I would get a popping noise felt in the steering column, which was alarming. The engine situation took precidence, and here I am 2years later wondering what this is still. I've driven it a couple blocks so far and haven't noticed this, but as popping noises often do, I'm sure it will come back eventually. What could this be,and what parts need to be ordered? It has a 3 inch lift, aftermarket steering wheel, and steering dampner installed.

This HAS to be steering column related right? Or could it be diff/axle issue being felt in the steering? Jumping on this now to get parts ordered while the rig is sitll down and out. Will drive again tomorrow to see if i can get it to happen, but is mostly at higher speeds (which I can't really go due to intake leak im resolving)

Thanks,
Dan

Could be TRE, steering ujoints, steering box, etc.

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect every joint between it and the wheels for slop
does it need to be jacked up to do this?

Jacked up the front. Not a lot of play when I shake the tire. Didn’t notice anything to bad when turning its stationary. When driving, would noises/handling be obvious if something was dangerous?

Noticed both boots are missing. gunna order some from SOR. When regressing and installing the new boot on the ball joints does anything else need to be disassembled/ replaced? Can they be examined at this time?

Read this post that might actually be my issue, it’s KNUCKLE related. Can a vehicle be driven short term with this issue?

Jacked up the front. Not a lot of play when I shake the tire. Didn’t notice anything to bad when turning its stationary. When driving, would noises/handling be obvious if something was dangerous?

Noticed both boots are missing. gunna order some from SOR. When regressing and installing the new boot on the ball joints does anything else need to be disassembled/ replaced? Can they be examined at this time?

Read this post that might actually be my issue, it’s KNUCKLE related. Can a vehicle be driven short term with this issue?

Jacking it up while doing the test actually will hide the issues

Grease the zerk on the intermediate shaft, see if it disipates. Popping is usually the IM shaft, play is usually tierod ends unless they are worn badly. Do a full inspection of steering system, look for play with vehicle on ground and someone turning steering wheel while you inspect.

ive had front leaf slap do this on my 70 series when turning, i chased it for a while, i though it was knuckle bearings originally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom