Popping noise when steering, help!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am hearing a popping noise when turning the wheels from left to right at a stand still, it’s most noticeable, but I do hear it when driving at lower speeds. I usually hear it the most when turning left going to full lock. The sound seems like it’s come from the passenger front steering knuckle area.

A little back story. Took it wheeling a couple weeks ago, drove it home fine and parked it. Drove to the store a week or so later, and that’s when I started hearing it. Took it to work, had a couple of my mechanics look at it. I discovered that the seal on the back of the knuckle was a little loose, tightened the bolts, good as new. However, one of the studs that holds the steering arm onto the bottom of the knuckle, Was sheered off, we used an ez out to get the piece out. I replaced all 4 studs. Put it all back together. Noise is still there.

I bought the truck in October 2019, I relaxed brakes and wheels bearings, and changed the diff fluid. That’s the extent I did with the axles. The truck the stock lockers, front and rear. I installed the OME 3 inch kit and put 35’s on it. Any help would be appreciated to point me in the right direction. I’m thinking a full rebuild of the knuckles on the inside. But I know that’s going to be costly.

help?

Sounds like trunnion bearings.

Knuckle rebuild will resolve that.

Do you have caster correction for that lift?

Had similar symptom once, ended up being loose not that held on the pitman arm. Easy to check too.
I checked all the steering components. All are tight. That’s what I originally thought it was and why I drove it to work. But to my surprise it was a lot worse lol

Yes I do, I bought the whole kit from SLEE. Are the trunnions the top and bottom bearings?
Yes. Top and bottom of the knuckle. It gets worse when sitting still. The bearings only travel in like 15 degrees so it wears in the same place all the time.

Yes. Top and bottom of the knuckle. It gets worse when sitting still. The bearings only travel in like 15 degrees so it wears in the same place all the time.
Got it. In my research, it looks like it requires a special tool?

Got it. In my research, it looks like it requires a special tool?
Nope just a bearing and race.

This comes as part of the knuckle rebuild kits usually.

Need to get that deep to do it. Check you birfield s at the same time.

This video is very good at showing the knuckle rebuild.

Nope just a bearing and race.

This comes as part of the knuckle rebuild kits usually.

Need to get that deep to do it. Check you birfield s at the same time.
What am I checking for exactly? Do you have a rebuild kit that you’d recommend?

Thanks everyone I was leaning this way. Just needed a little shove in that direction. I didn’t know they made this kits. New to the cruiser game. This has been awesome

Sounds like trunnion bearings.

Knuckle rebuild will resolve that.

Do you have caster correction for that lift?
What would happen if you didn’t have a caster correction for a 3 inch lift (my fj60 has a 3 inch lift on 33’s)

Also curious if you discovered the issue was knuckle related or not? I remember thinking something was wrong with my axle at one time but probably was this same deal. I just competed a 1 year marathon of an engine rebuild. I’m sure it’ll happen when I drive it again, but I’m moving in 2 weeks.

Can I drive it a couple hundred miles like this or no?

Thanks
Dan

Also curious if you discovered the issue was knuckle related or not? I remember thinking something was wrong with my axle at one time but probably was this same deal. I just competed a 1 year marathon of an engine rebuild. I’m sure it’ll happen when I drive it again, but I’m moving in 2 weeks.

Can I drive it a couple hundred miles like this or no?

Thanks
Dan
Dan,

Did you realize this was in the 80 section?

What would happen if you didn’t have a caster correction for a 3 inch lift (my fj60 has a 3 inch lift on 33’s)
Even with a 60 series, it will wander and your tries will grab cracks and edges and feel difficult to control sometimes.

Having more caster makes it wander less and helps so your don't have to "drive" it down the road. It tracks itself better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom