Poll: What size tires are you running? (1 Viewer)

What size tires are you running?

• 38" or larger

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 37"

Votes: 31 13.7%
  • 35"

Votes: 78 34.4%
  • 34"

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • 33"

Votes: 80 35.2%
  • 32" or OEM

Votes: 19 8.4%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was looking through my media pics and here's the transition from stock to 35’s. Just my ‘94 80 series, but for those that are making changes can draw your own conclusions for your own purposes.
Not long after purchased with stock size tires, bumpers, no cargo and no lift.
1662924135950.jpeg

OME 2.5” lift and stock size 31’s and no cargo.
1662929799521.jpeg

With 255/85/16 (33") and sliders. 315/75/16 not mounted, but in pic to compare sidewall size.
IMG_1134a.JPG

With Maxxis 315/75/16 Razrs, trailer and before air bags.
IMG_1375a.JPG

Most current with air bags and 315/75/16 Toyo AT2 tires.
IMG_1422a (2).JPG

Those are the model I had and sold to James for his 60 but they were in the 37/17 flavor on FJC steelies. I liked them a lot, but wanted my pep and braking back.

Yet I’m dumb….And moreso a sucker for a deal. Moved the 35 km2’s to the 45 and back on 37 nitro terra grappler g2. Not too aggressive but have had 2 sets in past and been pleased and spend more time on the highway and exploring the unknowns than wheeling lately. View attachment 3111780
I would love to talk to you at Logan's Run about some of your exploration trips.

So far, I'm really liking the hybrid function of the Cooper ST Maxx with the grip of a MT tire offroad and the a softer AT carcass for the road.
1662946824958.png

Last edited:
35s and have been putting off the regear.
View attachment 3112485
I waited to do my regear but after having it I wish I would have regeared sooner.

We drove our Cruiser with stock gears from NC to AZ to see the Grand Canyon. The long grades out west with 4.10's and 35's was awful. At one point we had to stop and give the Cruiser a rest between Sedona and Flagstaff. The exhaust manifold was glowing cherry red.

I waited to do my regear but after having it I wish I would have regeared sooner.

We drove our Cruiser with stock gears from NC to AZ to see the Grand Canyon. The long grades out west with 4.10's and 35's was awful. At one point we had to stop and give the Cruiser a rest between Sedona and Flagstaff. The exhaust manifold was glowing cherry red.
Yep, advantage of “35’s” (vs larger) is that still a reasonable set up on factory gears MOST of the time. But I’ll bet most of us are happier that we regeared, even on just 35’s whether the time is spent on road or off…

But Sedona to Flagstaff Is more fun in an AMG or Porsche anyway 😆

Did you go with 4.88? I’m in Colorado and the mountain passes are rough

Did you go with 4.88? I’m in Colorado and the mountain passes are rough
4.88's. A little higher RPM for 35's but no change in fuel economy. If I go to 37's, the 4.88's still work well.

Been running 488 for years on 37s, and just did the high range TC underdrive. I thought 488 and 37 works well, but 529 and 37 really helps with fuel economy. I have enough power in OD and not having to kick down a gear is nice on inclines...

I’m really surprised to see so many running 37s. Back in the day when I joined 35s seemed to be the limit and one had to be very careful with the skinny pedal when wheeling/rock crawling. IIRC there were only a half dozen or less with 37s. I doubt very much the 80 series diffs and shafts are up to the task of rock crawling with 37s.

I’m really surprised to see so many running 37s. Back in the day when I joined 35s seemed to be the limit and one had to be very careful with the skinny pedal when wheeling/rock crawling. IIRC there were only a half dozen or less with 37s. I doubt very much the 80 series diffs and shafts are up to the task of rock crawling with 37s.
w/ 37s or larger tires, you are effectively working less hard on your axles simply because you can walk over stuff you normally would rely on skinny pedals and momentums, and that is how my understanding is...throttle control is key and careful tire placement to prevent snapping axle shafts or grenade your diff. when apply power to the rear wheels and axle hopping. Now 40s is the new 37s....

4.88's. A little higher RPM for 35's but no change in fuel economy. If I go to 37's, the 4.88's still work well.

4.88’s are mathematically correct for 37’s. With 4.88’s my speedometer is dead nuts, odometer as well. However, when I jumped to 37’s there was a noticeable lag in acceleration. It takes getting used to and a willingness to run the rpm’s up to where the 1fz is actually making power. My ect button is always engaged and I see 3500+ rpm’s between shifts regularly. This is why I am nudging myself closer and closer to dropping the transfer case to install the 10% high range under drive gear set.

I would not recommend 4.88’s with 37’s to someone who drives in mountainous terrain at higher elevations regularly, like our friends who live in CO for instance. This would be aimed at those still running the normally aspirated 1fz because that’s all I know in the 80.

Last edited:
4.88’s are mathematically correct for 37’s. With 4.88’s my speedometer is dead nuts, odometer as well. However, when I jumped to 37’s there was a noticeable lag in acceleration. It takes getting used to and a willingness to run the rpm’s up to where the 1fz is actually making power. My ect button is always engaged and I see 3500+ rpm’s between shifts regularly. This is why I am nudging myself closer and closer to dropping the transfer case to install the 10% high range under drive gear set.

I would not recommend 4.88’s with 37’s to someone who drives in mounainoues terrain at higher elevations regularly like our friends who live in CO for instance. This, would be aimed at those still running the normally aspirated 1fz because that’s all I know in the 80.
Just DOIT already with the TC underdrive.
Now i need to get going with my ram or PSC..

Seems an LS swap, supercharger or turbo is in order when wheeling with 37s. Lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom