Poll: Dune Biege or Cadet Blue? (1 Viewer)

Dune Biege or Cadet Blue?

• Dune Biege

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • Cadet Blue

Votes: 64 59.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 40 is disassembled and at the sand blasters. I'm toiling over this decision, but have narrowed it down to these two colors.

I know only I can make this decision, but it's a toss-up for me and the Mud community could sway me!

Background: It's a 9/75 Fj40. Original color was Dune Biege. Has a small block swapped into it by a PO, which I'm going to keep for budget reasons. Plus I like it (don't hate!).

The argument in favor of dune biege:

The more I've gotten into the tear down, the more I've appreciated the original form. My 40 had cut fenders and 35s, mufflers under the rockers, etc. I replaced the rear quarters, got rid of the aux tank to make room for the exhaust to exit in the back, etc.

So part of me wants to keep it in it's original color. Plus it's kind of a iconic FJ40 color. Not sure if this affects the value of the rig either way, but it's a a consideration for sure.

Argument in favor of cadet blue:

Visually, without any baggage, I love this color. The high contrast of the bezel and top really look great. The originality ship has long sailed given the SBC, so I'm not going to get the value premium that an original rig gets anyway, so I should just do what I think looks best.

Dune Biege:

original-dune-beige-fj40-in-great-condition-3-lift-33-bfg-at-power-steering-2.JPG

Cadet blue (you'll have to imagine it on a 40; I couldn't find a good pic of a 40 in this color with a hard top installed).

toyota_landcruiser_fj40_T449_01.jpg

Thanks for your help. I'm spinning my wheels!!

I want the Cadet Blue too, but finding the color code and local paint shop ability to mix it has been my issue.

My NAPA guy recently saw a new Cavalry Blue Yota vehicle and suggested I check that color out. From what I've seen it looks pretty close and is likely an acceptable 40 color.

I love Cadet, was considering it for my '64 build, even though it isn't a '64 color. If you aren't wedded to originality, I'd do the blue in a heartbeat.

For my '64, I went with River Blue (is a '64 color) which is a bit less gray than Cadet, but similar. If you use one of the Akzo Nobel family of paints (Sikkens, Wanda, U-Tech) the formula for River T-431 is still in their database.

FWIW, my '64 FST was originally the color often called "bandaid". River Blue is much better!

img_1303-jpg.1784491

img_1283-jpg-copy-jpg.1779896

img_1259-jpg.1777091

Last edited:
Dang it!! The vote is basically even! I was hoping you guys would make this easy for me. Lol

Dune Beige just isn't my favorite. I really do like Cadet Blue.

But you shouldn't listen to me - my 40 is friggin' purple, for crying out loud.

i like the blue. my 40 was originally a lighter blue and when repainted went to the typical sky blue colour i’m used to seeing. i might go to cadet though because it’s just such a sharp colour. i really like both blues so i’m not sure what one i’ll go with but i’ll stick with blue for sure!

I'd say @jim land 's pic example above of his two rigs together - is your best reference, although neither of his two are the actual colors you speak of. But his are truly close enough. Based on your engine, beyond that, very very few (outside the sticklers here on this board) really care (about precise color), especially with a non-OEM engine in place. If it's a solid color, and appears period correct, most will strongly admire your rig as-is.

Cadet Blue is Toyota color code T449, for whatever that's worth. Likely PPG can find that somewhere within their charts. Jim Land's rig is soooo good looking, I'd suggest you simply ask him for the color code of his '84 rig (as it's a known formula) - and just go with that. If you make your rig attractive as characteristic to a 40 (hence not metallic, etc), others will wish to purchase it regardless of its precise color.

Dune Beige is okay, but is far, far more bland when compared to the hue of blue of Jim Land's '84 rig. And Jim Land is correct that 6H9 is also stellar. However that may simply confuse you further. Below is of course the correct Cadet Blue. ~Skydog

bj45-5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom