Poll: Dune Biege or Cadet Blue? (5 Viewers)

Dune Biege or Cadet Blue?

• Dune Biege

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • Cadet Blue

Votes: 64 59.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This will be a mall-terrain vehicle for sure. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Lol. After all the time and money I'm putting into the restoration/restomod, I'm not going to take any chances!

Looks like votes ahve skewed to blue!!

Last edited:
It is odd to me how many people are restoring these to stock then never taking it off road. My first car/truck I ever owned was a FJ40 I bought new from the dealer when I was 18. I didn't buy it because it was fun to drive on the pavement, because it isn't. I bought so I could take it places my friends couldn't go in their street cars. Almost any road car is hands down better on a long trip over the highway. I really didn't think
it was fun on pavement until I did a v-8 swap with an automatic. Then it became a convertible roadster...an MR2 or MG with balls.
And it still went off road

I totally hear you, but it really depends on what angle you're coming from.

Back when you bought your 40 brand new, you weren't thinking about it as a rare collectible vehicle, because it wasn't back then. The only reason to buy it was to take it off road, because that's what it was build for.

But most of them have since been beaten to heck and/or have rusted out and have been crushed. Now they're somewhat rare and appreciating assets.

I paid $11k for my rig, and I'm putting about $20k into the restoration (and thousands of hours). While I'm not doing a nut and bolt concours restoration, a large part of my motivation is to preserve a classic vehicle.

If I wanted a rock crawler and had the same amount of money to spend, I'd probably start with a TJ and modify it a lot. If it rolled on the trail, I wouldn't be heart broken... Mostly because it would have armor, and body damage could be fixed with a hammer and dolly and a rattle can. But I'm attracted to the 40 because it's a beautiful, nostalgic, well-built classic vehicle that I want to restore and preserve.

It sounds like you're attracted to the 40 because it can take you out into nature, because you can get your adrenaline going by taking some risks, etc. And I completely respect that.

But I don't think one approach is more valid than the other. It's an individual decision, and my decisions about my rig have no impact whatsoever on anybody else. I can understand and respect others points of view on this... But it's weird when people lash at about other people's choices when they have no impact on them... but perhaps that's a definining attribute of our times.

I totally hear you, but it really depends on what angle you're coming from.

Back when you bought your 40 brand new, you weren't thinking about it as a rare collectible vehicle, because it wasn't back then. The only reason to buy it was to take it off road, because that's what it was build for.

But most of them have since been beaten to heck and/or have rusted out and have been crushed. Now they're somewhat rare and appreciating assets.

I paid $11k for my rig, and I'm putting about $20k into the restoration (and thousands of hours). While I'm not doing a nut and bolt concours restoration, a large part of my motivation is to preserve a classic vehicle.

If I wanted a rock crawler and had the same amount of money to spend, I'd probably start with a TJ and modify it a lot. If it rolled on the trail, I wouldn't be heart broken... Mostly because it would have armor, and body damage could be fixed with a hammer and dolly and a rattle can. But I'm attracted to the 40 because it's a beautiful, nostalgic, well-built classic vehicle that I want to restore and preserve.

It sounds like you're attracted to the 40 because it can take you out into nature, because you can get your adrenaline going by taking some risks, etc. And I completely respect that.

But I don't think one approach is more valid than the other. It's an individual decision, and my decisions about my rig have no impact whatsoever on anybody else. I can understand and respect others points of view on this... But it's weird when people lash at about other people's choices when they have no impact on them... but perhaps that's a definining attribute of our times.

I wasn't picking on anyone's use of the 40. I'm glad there will be those totally restored trucks around so the future generations can see what they missed. I wish everyone could have had the same experiences with Cruisers
that I did but you just can't go buy a new one when you break it anymore. I restored 40 a couple years ago to near showroom condition. I was tempted to keep it and put a few miles on it here and therebut I knew I would be driving it one day and wouldn't be able to pass that one dirt road I'd never traveled. I put it in the hands of someone that wouldn't bounce it off a rock. I'm the weird one that wants retirement spent in a Land Cruiser. No plans to own a home after I retire.
I'd prefer a night in a tent in the middle of nowhere to the best hotel room. I live close to a mountain that sees few travelers. I close shop
at 6 and head up to the trees two to three nights a week with the dog. I throw up a tent, camp, walk the dog and get back at 9am. The other nights I work late.

This morning I woke up to this about 25 yards from the tent. Those are Coati Mundi for those not from the southwest. My town's in the distance.

DSCF0057.JPG

DSCF0291.JPG

DSCF0294.JPG

DSCF0054.JPG

I wasn't picking on anyone's use of the 40. I'm glad there will be those totally restored trucks around so the future generations can see what they missed. I wish everyone could have had the same experiences with Cruisers
that I did but you just can't go buy a new one when you break it anymore. I restored 40 a couple years ago to near showroom condition. I was tempted to keep it and put a few miles on it here and therebut I knew I would be driving it one day and wouldn't be able to pass that one dirt road I'd never traveled. I put it in the hands of someone that wouldn't bounce it off a rock. I'm the weird one that wants retirement spent in a Land Cruiser. No plans to own a home after I retire.
I'd prefer a night in a tent in the middle of nowhere to the best hotel room. I live close to a mountain that sees few travelers. I close shop
at 6 and head up to the trees two to three nights a week with the dog. I throw up a tent, camp, walk the dog and get back at 9am. The other nights I work late.

This morning I woke up to this about 25 yards from the tent. Those are Coati Mundi for those not from the southwest. My town's in the distance.

View attachment 1786295

View attachment 1786296

View attachment 1786297

View attachment 1786298

"I'd prefer a night in a tent in the middle of nowhere to the best hotel room."
... Problem is, what would an attractive, sophisticated woman (otherwise desiring to be with you) say ?? ... :)

Absolutely awesome. I'm not discounting the experiences you've had or will have, @Tancruiser and @lcwizard. I get it. I'm sure my rig will see some logging roads and camping trips, but it sure won't be doing the rubicon. And when I drive my candy apple red cruiser to the store to buy my tampons, I'm going to be smiling ear to ear regardless of what anybody says on an internet forum. ;) :beer:

@lcwizard : would you make one of your former bumper/bush guards for me one day ??... I like this one far, far more than any other. And I like it significantly better than your new Aussie retro one... Would you consider fabricating one for me ? And perhaps for others would now like to have this one (that once upon a time soured on you) ?

aaz.jpeg

Thanks !! ~Skydogger

Absolutely awesome. I'm not discounting the experiences you've had or will have, @Tancruiser and @lcwizard. I get it. I'm sure my rig will see some logging roads and camping trips, but it sure won't be doing the rubicon. And when I drive my candy apple red cruiser to the store to buy my tampons, I'm going to be smiling ear to ear regardless of what anybody says on an internet forum. ;) :beer:

Don't discount the Rubicon. Most of the rough areas have bypasses when I went through. I don't consider it a super hardcore trail unless you want it to be. The country is beautiful and worth seeing

I dont think you could go wrong with either color. I think it comes down to personal preference. When I built a Cobra kit car the last color I was going to paint it was Blue with a white stripe. Everyone does that. Dune beige is a bit too popular for me, so I went with 653 olive. I really like that blue. Unique for sure.

In the beginning my 40 was red... then a P.O. painted it blue... then cherry red, and then I painted it desert camo, and now beige. The beige does suit it, but blue has a special place to me. Either cadet blue or one of the other darker stock blues.

Some day once all the body is rebuilt, it’ll get a paint job that isn’t flat paint from a rattle can. Then it’ll be blue... blue with white and black contrasting colour.

Where are at on this project? Did you trust the poll?
I just started a similar project on my 40 and I am between dune beige 416 and Olive 637.

View attachment 1786295

View attachment 1786296

View attachment 1786297

View attachment 1786298

Right cute little fellow but would look even better served over a bed fried potatoes and onions.

Judging from the comments I got every time I went anywhere, the blues are the hot ticket. This is T-431 River Blue.

dsc_1939-jpg.1835935
Arne ... couldn't agree more that's why Cruiser #2 is going blue !
Congrats on the sale BTW
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom