Pitman arm angle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reddog90

SILVER Star
Threads
I just wrapped up some steering work. I feel like I have a little more right turn range than left now. Could anyone post a pic of their pitman arm in their “driving straight” position, or comment on mine below? I think I need to pop the pitman arm off, recenter my steering gearbox, then put the pitman arm back on. My steering linkage is adjusted to FSM standards right now, but I have room to shorten my drag link. I have not messed with the steering stops yet. Thanks.

Q9pH5oi.jpg

Straight

UeNEkhR.jpg

Full turn left, hitting steering stop.

kCPcO6D.jpg

Full turn right, hitting steering stop.

Last edited:
Where are your steering stops set at the knuckles?

Just curious, if you are going stop to stop then thats full range. Meaning that if the pitman has the ability to move system from full stop to full stop then you have same range both ways unless the stops at axle are wrong/off/ not set properly. The axle stops dont have a large amount of adjustment and you could see right away if one of them was way off.

Here are my steering stops.

REWGTCj.jpg

dpSjfBc.jpg

I figured I'd want the steering gearbox centered, and the stops to stop the steering travel just before the gearbox maxes out. Both steering stops hit at full turn either way right now, but I feel like I have less range than I should and I thought my pitman arm was supposed to be vertical with tires pointed straight.

I think I see part of your problem. The stop on the back of the right side of the axle is bent, as is the front stop on the left side of the axle, giving you slightly more right turn then left. It only takes a few degrees to make a difference. Turn out the stops a bit to compensate. In the grand scheme of things this isn't a really big deal.

FWIW, this is pretty common. OEM stops are not the stoutest ones available. I've seen them bent to the point they are doing virtually nothing to control the knuckle travel. (That's how you blow up birfs more easily) Bigger tires mean more leverage on the knuckle, making it easier to bend the relatively light weight stops.

I think I see part of your problem. The stop on the back of the right side of the axle is bent, as is the front stop on the left side of the axle, giving you slightly more right turn then left. It only takes a few degrees to make a difference. Turn out the stops a bit to compensate. In the grand scheme of things this isn't a really big deal.

Sorry, are you talking about the bolt I can adjust in or out, or the metal stop on the axle that it hits?

The stops welded to the axle are tweaked. New, OEM are nice and rounded. The knuckle casting is threaded, so you can easily turn the adjuster out an 1/8". You can get more adjustment (limiting) by moving the nuts to the inside. Not sure what size tires and what kind of wheeling you do, but anything 35" or larger, moderate/serious crawling, I would suggest solid stops welded to the axle. Just my 2 cents.

I stopped by a local shop that had a couple 40s for sale. Here is the pitman arm on one of them with wheels straight and the steering stops:
NettsSx.jpg

g31DVLP.jpg

I stopped by a local shop that had a couple 40s for sale. Here is the pitman arm on one of them with wheels straight and the steering stops:
NettsSx.jpg

g31DVLP.jpg
That thing is hacked. Someone got carried away with trying to convert it.

I'm definitely no expert, but when I rebuilt the truck, I put my pitman arm back on so that when straight it meets the drag link at 90 degrees. All runs as it did before. But again, I know absolutely nothing.

I'm definitely no expert, but when I rebuilt the truck, I put my pitman arm back on so that when straight it meets the drag link at 90 degrees. All runs as it did before. But again, I know absolutely nothing.

I think I'll pop the pitman arm off, shorten the drag link, then reinstall and see if I can get the pitman arm to meet the drag link at 90*

OP, If you look at your pictures closely, you will see there is a line that bisects the sector (steering) shaft. IIRC, that is the alignment line and youy pitman arm should align with that line. I'd have to get back to my steering manual to confirm, but I think that's the case.

OP, If you look at your pictures closely, you will see there is a line that bisects the sector (steering) shaft. IIRC, that is the alignment line and youy pitman arm should align with that line. I'd have to get back to my steering manual to confirm, but I think that's the case.

I hadn't noticed that line. Shouldn't I be most concerned with centering the gearbox with the steering wheel and reinstalling the pitman arm regardless of how it aligns with that line on the sector shaft? Although once I remove the pitman arm and use the steering wheel to center the gear box, that line may actually be perfect center. I will try.

Not necessarily. That alignment line indicates the center of the sector shaft sweep. It should align with the casting lines on the steering box. You should disconnect the draglink from the pitman arm, aling the sector shaft, then take note of the pitman arm orientation. Then turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while counting turns, then 1/2 that, the check where the sector shaft alignment line and pitman arm are.

15535505479322549461036872952602.jpg

So, since in figure 2-123 the match marks don't line up with the casting line, does that mean the OEM manual doesn't illustrate it correctly?
The picture is correct. If you read my words again you'll see I said align with the steering box casting line, not the pitman arm. I have rebuilt several 40 and 60 series boxes, so a think I can speak with some authority on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom