Pioneer Head Unit and CDT Audio Speaker install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luke111

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Even though there dozens of threads on speakers thought I would share my thoughts and install of CDT Audio Speakers in my 80... Many of you have seen the install pictures in my thread I thought it would be easier to find in this format.
It really doesn't matter what I'm driving I have always enjoyed a nice sound system even though I'm not a audiophile...which led me to CDT Audio... Actually Rich Elliot here on Mud led me to CDT audio...

A little history from their site in review

CDT Audio is a 20 year old European high-end speaker design and engineering firm. They have built some of the most respected car stereo speakers in the history of the industry. Audio magazines from around the world have reviewed CDT speakers....

"They'll tell you CDT speakers make the purest, the most natural and real sound in the business. A sound that is remarkably different than what you are probably used to. A sound so live, so dynamic and so neutral that you will swear you are at home, listening to a pair of $5,000.00 reference class towers! But you are not, you are in the car, where you never had it so good!"

So thank you Rich Elliot

So I decided to build door pods....had never worked with fiberglass and I needed to buy or make speaker rings so off to YouTube ..watched a few video's and purchased a ring cutting jig a plunging router and got to work.

The System

Pioneer Avic 911bt Nav HU ( replacing with a Bluetooth Audio system soon)

Alpine PDX 5 Amp

JL Audio 12" Sub

CDT Audio CL62 6.5 Component Front and rear doors

CDT Audio CL42SL 4" Slim Line components rear pilar pods

CDT Audio Front Stage Tweeters in A-Pilar Pods

CDT Audio Center Stage Speakers

From my IPad

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247386.134451.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247403.217461.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247442.886240.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247470.905957.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247494.175192.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247509.422541.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247526.407325.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247539.658375.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247570.530649.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247588.445733.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247603.763865.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247616.148512.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247627.198883.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247650.550937.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247665.842492.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247698.021799.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247728.358031.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247756.576626.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247775.378158.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247812.897998.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247835.983135.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247856.551581.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247873.970331.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247897.140513.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247911.056412.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247949.410373.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441247980.313463.jpg

From my IPad

Last edited:
After reading your excellent build thread I decided to give CDT a try. I ordered a set of Up Stage tweeters to raise the sound stage up from knee level. I'll be installing them this weekend. I'm eager to hear their performance.

Since you were already altering the bottom of the front door panels, any thought on incorporating map pocket "bump outs" for a water bottle next to the speaker pods? Looks like the perfect spot. I've been thinking Toyota could have/should have put a water bottle recess there.
Great skills, BTW.

Last edited:
After reading your excellent build thread I decided to give CDT a try. I ordered a set of Up Stage tweeters to raise the sound stage up from knee level. I'll be installing them this weekend. I'm eager to hear their performance.

You should call them tomorrow and make sure they will work with your current system..its been awhile since i installed the system but i do remember being a little confused about wiring them because i had components that had its owned tweeter which is still connected. They are extremely helpful

Since you were already altering the bottom of the front door panels, any thought on incorporating map pocket "bump outs" for a water bottle next to the speaker pods? Looks like the perfect spot. I've been thinking Toyota could have/should have put a water bottle recess there.
Great skills, BTW.

There's really not enough space for that with the pods...

Nice setup! I've got a 6.5" CDT component set in my A4 running off of a JL Audio JX360/2 amp and they're the best sounding speakers I've ever owned. It's hard to describe really.

They do make a slim 6.5" set that will drop into any 80, but I think you've inspired me to do a custom pod for the normal sized sets. I think I'm going to do the 62.2's so I can run the jx360/2 at 180rms.. that should sound nice hehe. Keep up the good work. That vinyl is legit.

I called before I ordered to verify compatability. They were very helpful. Evidently one of the upstage tweeter package benefits is that it compliments the system that's already installed. No removing of present speakers involved. I told them what speakers I was running and they gave me the thumbs up.

What are you doing for your lows?
I would consider this a Fab plus install.
Very nice custom work.
I know the time to build something like this is unreal

What are you doing for your lows?
I would consider this a Fab plus install.
Very nice custom work.
I know the time to build something like this is unreal[/QUOTE

The 6.5 is considered a mid woofer and along with the 4" inch and deliver good low end sound but i also have a 12" JL Audio in a enclosure that really handles that

CL-62 6.5" Component System is built to deliver the truest, in-car sound possible, the most accurate and natural performance ever-the type of performance that has earned our design team countless awards and unanimous praise from around the world.

The engineering design goal for CL-62: Deliver optimum sound quality with easy installation.

cl62_lrg.png

CL-62 6.5"
(CL-62.2 - 2 Ohm version)
2-way component system

Technical specs and contents
  • 1 pr CL-E6 Cast 6.5" mid-woofer
  • 1 pr TW-26 1" silk tweeter
  • 1 pr EX-530 24dB 4th/5th order 2-way crossover
  • Image tweeter ready crossover
  • Power handling: 190 watt RMS @ high-pass 100Hz.
  • Frequency response: 55Hz-20.000Hz
  • Impedance: 4 Ohm
  • Sensitivity: 91.6dB
  • Mounting depth 2.75"
  • Flush and surface tweeter housings

Car Sound Das Hi Fi Magazin Switzerland Test Review

CDT Audio CL-62 CL-6 6.5" “Contoured Dispersion Technology" 6.5" mid-woofer is so efficient, it can play much higher into the midrange frequencies than almost ANY OTHER CAR SPEAKER! The cone of the CL-6 mid is made of a light yet rigid, mixed fabric carbon coated paper. The type cone material among audiophile listeners considered the best for sound quality. It’s the professional installers favorite sound system to install.

Quote:

"The CDTAUDIO speaker possesses an overall pleasant and well balanced reproduction of music, and comes alive with every kind of good music. It adds nothing unnatural to the music, and leaves nothing of the music details out. Voices are natural, piano comes out clean and uncolored and the imaging is great. In short we say, "this system is tonally perfect!" Summary: "The CL-62 gave a flawless tonal performance. The bass is very dynamic with great resolution. It's a real "Sound Hit." Overall champion of the four brands we tested.

The CDT center stage really completed the front stage setup ....it has a volume control built into the crossover so you can really dial in the mid range sound.
The JL Audio sub sits in the area between the fridge and the window.

image-jpg.891555

Nice setup! I've got a 6.5" CDT component set in my A4 running off of a JL Audio JX360/2 amp and they're the best sounding speakers I've ever owned. It's hard to describe really.

They do make a slim 6.5" set that will drop into any 80, but I think you've inspired me to do a custom pod for the normal sized sets. I think I'm going to do the 62.2's so I can run the jx360/2 at 180rms.. that should sound nice hehe. Keep up the good work. That vinyl is legit.

So true, you cannot describe how nice they sound... and I'm not even running their best stuff..
The 6.5 I'm running only required 1/2 inch speaker ring for clearance and mounting them on the outside of the panel...but the 4" slim line came in at 1 1/4 inch depth and would be a nice addition for someone to mount behind the factory grills

Keep us posted I'd like to see the setup you end up with

imageuploadedbyih8mud-forum1441247650-550937-jpg.1128611

Decided to upgrade my head unit.. This Pioneer is packed with all the right stuff including the ability to stream Waze

AVH-4100NEX
2-DIN Flagship Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display
  • Apple CarPlay™ Compatible
  • Android Auto™ Compatible
  • AppRadio® Mode for iPhone® & Android™
  • MirrorLink™ Compatible
k2-_2f4bb5ef-53d6-42f8-ad68-9cf6d313c487.v1.jpg-ccd6f6bb1ee85ca329ca065809897827d63ca631-optim-450x450.jpg

Luke111,
Great choice on the head unit. I've had that same one for about a year and a half now. Been very happy with the CarPlay app. With the mic installed on the top of the steering column I have had great voice control over the head unit. One of my favorite options is that you can angle the screen to your liking and it remembers the angle whenever you start the car. The sound setting/equalizer options are plentiful. Makes my cdt 's shine. Not to mention the great Xm radio hook up & display. Good job!!

Luke111,
Great choice on the head unit. I've had that same one for about a year and a half now. Been very happy with the CarPlay app. With the mic installed on the top of the steering column I have had great voice control over the head unit. One of my favorite options is that you can angle the screen to your liking and it remembers the angle whenever you start the car. The sound setting/equalizer options are plentiful. Makes my cdt 's shine. Not to mention the great Xm radio hook up & display. Good job!!

I'm really looking forward to the CarPlay app and having Waze as my GPS. It's hard to describe the clarity and sound the CDT speakers produce...

I remember I rocked cdt 3 way components back in 1999. And crystal cmp 15s. Those were the days.

Great fiberglass work BTW.

Those days are still here.... CDT's are the sh%t:)

That's the same head unit I put my cruiser too haha. Found it online for way cheaper than anywhere locally. It's a great head unit. MP3 scan is really, really fast, it reads more usb sticks than my last unit, EQ is really good, it plays FLAC files, has a detachable face, hdmi input, great call quality, tons and tons of features. I love this unit! Highly recommended.

That's the same head unit I put my cruiser too haha. Found it online for way cheaper than anywhere locally. It's a great head unit. MP3 scan is really, really fast, it reads more usb sticks than my last unit, EQ is really good, it plays FLAC files, has a detachable face, hdmi input, great call quality, tons and tons of features. I love this unit! Highly recommended.

Arrives today from Amazon...at a great price.. Good to hear from Mud members that are recommending it.

Looking for more low end punch..I picked up two CDT Audio 6'5 subwoofers .... I removed my rear door 6.5 CDT components and installed the sub woofers. This is just what the doctor ordered... with the 12' JL SUB in the rear and these in the doors... pretty sick thumping going on.
New Sub
IMG_0238.JPG

Old
IMG_0239.JPG

First...your layout is insane....how do the tweets sound being that far off axis and how is the sound deflecting off the glass like that? The mids are crazy in the center of the dash!!! What does that sound stage sound like? Most importantly...how did the sound improve with the new rear subs being that you eliminated the rear fill? Do the speakers in the very back compensate for that? Man...tuning these must have been crazy! Are you running fully active? Are these going through a processor? I have been trying to come up with install ideas and one of them was to build the new pods and integrate them the way you did.....glad to know it was a good idea! Your doors look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom