Picking an LS Engine for FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PeterBC

Aspiring FJ60 Owner
Threads
Hi. I'm new here. I've admired FJ60s for decades. I'm hoping to find an engine and other options combo that will work for my life. No crazy rock crawling, deep mud, or anything wild. I'd be using it mainly for on-road and steep, bumpy, gravel logging roads. My 2WD vehicle isn't getting me up the hills. I need a vehicle that can take all the bumping around without vibrating itself (and me) into pieces. I think I'd like the H55F 5-speed transmission. I'd do the OME 2.5" lift and 33" BFG T/A KO2s which seems very common.

I see people have done nice LS swaps on their FJ60s. Mostly 5.3 liters. I don't see exactly which LS engines they have used which leaves me wondering. I've been studying the various 5.3 liter LS engines. It gets confusing but it seems the biggest variables are iron vs aluminum block and flex fuel system vs not. Aluminum seems like a nice option to keep ~80 lbs. off the vehicle. I don't think that I care about flex fuel. I don't even know if E85 is available around here.

The gen III LM7 seems to be the most common engine and has an iron block. When people say they did an LS swap in their FJ60, is it (almost) always an LM7? How is the weight of an LM7 compared to a 2F or 3F?

The gen III aluminum versions (LM4 and L33) seem to be too rare to even consider, correct?

The gen IV LY5 has an iron block with active fuel management and more horsepower and torque than the LM7. Is an LY5 a common engine worth considering? Is it a common FJ20 swap? How much more complex is a gen IV swap than a gen III swap?

The gen IV LH6 is the aluminum version of the LY5 but seems to be rated for less horsepower and torque. A common engine? A good swap option?

Are the 4.8 liter LS engines worth considering?

Any comments regarding choosing the right LS engine are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

References:

Last edited:
It sounds like you don't have a FJ60 yet and have never driven one (with the stock 2F engine).
My advice would be to find a FJ60 with a good running stock 2F and drive it for a while. You may feel that you don't really need a V8.
Yes a good running V8 would be nice in a 60, but it's not mandatory. I drove my stock 2F fj60 for 30 years and 290,000 miles. Lots of pretty intense off road stuff with it too.

The only time I really wanted a V8 was when driving in the sand dunes - up dunes, and of course on the highway when climbing a mountain grade. On the flats, the 2F has adequate power.

If the traction is good, the 2F will pull the cruiser up any slope - like a tractor.

Try ithe 2F first. It might be good enough for your needs. It's certainly not perfect, but it gets the job done.

I sit on both sides of the fence here, as I've had a great running desmogged 2F and also currently have 5.3l LS.

I'll second what OSS said. A good running 2F is a wonderful thing. If you're not interested in doing the work yourself, check out Moseley Motors. They have become one the best in the gam when it comes to the 2F.

If you want an LS, you can't go wrong. They are modern and reliable power. There is a massive aftermarket and most any shop in the world knows how to work on it. Many people use the 5.3 because it is an abundant motor (new and used). I am NOT the LS expert, but would say it is easier to find info, parts, and knowledge about the 5.3 above many of the others.

Someone gave this piece of advice and I do my best to follow it for all my project cars: "Buy a vehicle that is close as possible to what you want". You get the value (paint, lift, engine, etc.) that someone else already put into the vehicle. I have found it is almost always less expensive this way.

Anyhow ... good luck on your search!

If you drive a good running and properly geared 60 with a 2F, you’ll be surprised.

If you can’t get a 2F to run right, the 60 isn’t for you. The v8 swaps can get into some perpetual bugs and nagging faults that a stock truck doesn’t have. Nothing that is impossible to fix, but it takes time. They aren’t drop in.

dont do it, the 2F is the most perfect and best engine ever and a completely stock 60 is literally un-improvable

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

It sounds like you don't have a FJ60 yet and have never driven one (with the stock 2F engine).

My advice would be to find a FJ60 with a good running stock 2F and drive it for a while. You may feel that you don't really need a V8.

You are correct that I haven't driven an FJ60 yet. Your advice to drive a 2F engine first is surely good advice. If I find an nice FJ60 then I'll drive it as it comes before jumping into any major changes.

There aren't any flat highways around where I live. West coast mountain range.

I have only ever owned underpowered vehicles that struggle with loads and hills on highways. I'm tired of it and would like to know that if a 2F doesn't workout then there is possible options to increase performance. I keep vehicles a long time and imagine keeping my next one for 20 to 30 years. Being stuck with another underpowered vehicle isn't my objective. :)

I sit on both sides of the fence here, as I've had a great running desmogged 2F and also currently have 5.3l LS.

I'll second what OSS said. A good running 2F is a wonderful thing. If you're not interested in doing the work yourself, check out Moseley Motors. They have become one the best in the gam when it comes to the 2F.

Thanks for the reference. I'll check out Moseley Motors.

Which 5.3 liter LS do you have? Which gotcha's that came up in your conversion?

If you drive a good running and properly geared 60 with a 2F, you'll be surprised.

If you can't get a 2F to run right, the 60 isn't for you. The v8 swaps can get into some perpetual bugs and nagging faults that a stock truck doesn't have. Nothing that is impossible to fix, but it takes time. They aren't drop in.

What would you consider properly geared? Transmission ratios, axel ratio, tire size?

Are there common "perpetual bugs and nagging faults" or is it more that it is such a major change random issues are inevitable?

dont do it, the 2F is the most perfect and best engine ever and a completely stock 60 is literally un-improvable

That's great the 2F is the perfect engine for you! :) How about fuel economy and highway performance?

Make sure and SOA it too. They won't go anywhere SUA.

Thanks for the advice!

Other things I've seen is that automatic fuel management (aka displacement on demand) of gen IV engines is an issue and commonly deleted with kits.

I also live near Extremebends.com | Landcruiser Toyota Parts and EBI 4x4 Accessories which seems like a well recommended business.

That's great the 2F is the perfect engine for you! :) How about fuel economy and highway performance?

I was kidding. I have a 5.3 (L33) and wouldn't own a 60 with a stock engine again.

A fresh 2F with 100k or less, fuel injection, full desmog (that may be impossible depending on where you live), 4.11 and 33 inch tall tires feels perfect to me.

I’ve got 320k on my carbed 2F with a fresh cylinder head and a good tune up. Desmogged with an h55f five speed, 32.5” tires and 3.70 gears. I bought the truck with 277k on it and it’s been my daily driver for 4 years.

It runs at 75mph, the ac works and it’s been completely reliable. There are better engines, I don’t doubt that. I’m just saying some serious thought went into this platform.

Were all being facetious about engine swaps and axle stuff. There are a ton of things that work.

The v8 swaps can get into some perpetual bugs and nagging faults that a stock truck doesn’t have. Nothing that is impossible to fix, but it takes time. They aren’t drop in.

There are hordes of documented Vortec and LS based swaps done in 60 and 80 series that are running fine. Perpetual bugs and nagging faults stem from swaps done on the cheap, skimping on items like cooling and fuel supply system.

A 5.3 should net 12 to 16MPG. Iron block LM7 is about 150lbs lighter than a 2f and significantly easier to work on.

Wow. An LM7 is 150 lbs lighter!

That must be part of the reason a 2F is reportedly so durable...a lot of metal!

I would recommend buying one already swapped. Have a expert look it over b4 you buy it.

Yes, already swapped would be great!

A fresh 2F with 100k or less, fuel injection, full desmog (that may be impossible depending on where you live), 4.11 and 33 inch tall tires feels perfect to me.

I haven't seen about 2F with fuel injection. I'll investigate.

I’ve got 320k on my carbed 2F with a fresh cylinder head and a good tune up. Desmogged with an h55f five speed, 32.5” tires and 3.70 gears. I bought the truck with 277k on it and it’s been my daily driver for 4 years.

It runs at 75mph, the ac works and it’s been completely reliable. There are better engines, I don’t doubt that. I’m just saying some serious thought went into this platform.

Seems like you have a great vehicle!

There are hordes of documented Vortec and LS based swaps done in 60 and 80 series that are running fine. Perpetual bugs and nagging faults stem from swaps done on the cheap, skimping on items like cooling and fuel supply system.

Agreed.

I’ve got a spare 2F and an lm7. I don’t know what I’ll do next. I just know how easy it is to keep my 2F going and I kinda don’t want to mess with it’s current state.

A 5.3 should net 12 to 16MPG. Iron block LM7 is about 150lbs lighter than a 2f and significantly easier to work on. I would recommend buying one already swapped. Have a expert look it over b4 you buy it.
I lnow of on that will be 4sale real soon with lq9 4l80e with new paint lots of new new stuff won't be cheap but swap was done and frame off almost everything is new

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200501115404604_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200501_135243.jpg

Screenshot_20200327-205328.png

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Thanks for the reference. I'll check out Moseley Motors.

Which 5.3 liter LS do you have? Which gotcha's that came up in your conversion?

Hey,

So here is what is in mine. I did not do the swap, so cannot speak to the intricacies of the swap, but can tell you there's a lot of thread here to read up on if you plan to take this on yourself.

Here is the link to my truck:

Stan speaks the truth. Most of the swap threads I've read have problems that originated from the donor.

I lnow of on that will be 4sale real soon with lq9 4l80e with new paint lots of new new stuff won't be cheap but swap was done and frame off almost everything is new

So here is what is in mine. I did not do the swap, so cannot speak to the intricacies of the swap, but can tell you there's a lot of thread here to read up on if you plan to take this on yourself.

Nice trucks! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom